UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Why Was Rome The Greatest Empire?

mini_skirt

Don't make me split this off into a Roman Empire vs British Empire thread where it will then be subject to Patrician absurdities.

No need for that... I am done... was simply making a comment... so.. back on topic...

Once again, the information is proving to be very useful. Keywords are important that some of you gave me that have no mention to what i have learned "in class" and this website is probably contributing as to why now i can find a wealth on information not just on this site but on many other internet sources.

Thank You

If you have other questions or would like opinions on something you are unsure of we'd be happy to help some more...

Don't make me split this off into a Roman Empire vs British Empire thread where it will then be subject to Patrician absurdities.

I hear you Moonlapse, I'm starting to miss the Greeks and Romans. At least they were compatible.

why ancient rome is a great empire than ancient greece.

It wasn't. :P:D

They also ignored or refused to consider many advances. It was military and architectural technology they only concerned themselves with.

Rome was a great empire because it was ruthless, highly organised, and aggressive. A perfect example of a conquest state.

I believe Rome's real "conquest" was in the accomodation of subject peoples. The propertied classes could become part of the ruling hierarchy, and the military veterans were granted citizenship. Everywhere a Roman "consumer culture" sprouted. And then of course there was the later grant of nearly universal citizenship. Turning subjects into citizens and junior partners of the commonwealth in which they had a vested interest is something that few empires before or since have done so well - or even had the inclination to do.

Really, if Rome were just another expansionist state that conquered, collected taxes, roughed up the locals, and then collapsed, why would I care about it any more than the Assyrian Empire, of the Golden Horde? For me it's not about which group of soldiers killed another bunch of soldiers on some desolate battlefield - it's about culture, identity, civilization. If Rome hadn't turned other people into Romans and laid a critical building block for what most of us call "Western Civilization" I really wouldn't care.

Rome was great because it allowed other people to share in its riches and glory. It allowed other people to define (to some extent) what meant to be Roman...

I believe Rome's real "conquest" was in the accomodation of subject peoples...

I think if you had to distill the reason for Rome's greatness down to one thing beyond the strength of legions, the spirit of the Republic's citizens, law, etc, then I agree with Ursus.

To put it another way magnanimity in victory was Rome's greatest strength.

I believe Rome's real "conquest" was in the accomodation of subject peoples...

I think if you had to distill the reason for Rome's greatness down to one thing beyond the strength of legions, the spirit of the Republic's citizens, law, etc, then I agree with Ursus.

To put it another way magnanimity in victory was Rome's greatest strength.

Agreed. It was its inclusiveness not its exclusiveness that gave people a sense of belonging. People from Scotland to Armenia could claim to be Roman if they wished to.

• 11 years later...