UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Plautia Urgulanilla

frankq

I'm a little suspicious. Claudius was not an adonis, and quite clearly was lucky he wasn't exposed at birth. Having been sidelined for his disabilities he nonetheless makes appearances at public events. Would the Divine Augustus want him married to someone so coarse and unappealing? Wouldn't that make the embarrasement of Claudius worse?

Perhaps poor Plautia has received a bad press. She may not have been as desirable as some, but Boter got off with her didn't he? She was therefore willing to entertain an affair with someone of lesser status and quite possibly felt that being hitched to Claudius was a comedown despite being married into the royal family.

It is interesting that she isn't described in better detail by anyone. A sign of an unremarkable woman?

I believe Urgulanilla recieves a bad press because of her name. A while back I mentioned the name to a friend who has no idea who she is (like all the cool kids do), and the first thing that came to her mind was a brute with hairy arms and one eyebrow.

I'm a little suspicious. Claudius was not an adonis, and quite clearly was lucky he wasn't exposed at birth. Having been sidelined for his disabilities he nonetheless makes appearances at public events. Would the Divine Augustus want him married to someone so coarse and unappealing? Wouldn't that make the embarrasement of Claudius worse?

Perhaps poor Plautia has received a bad press. She may not have been as desirable as some, but Boter got off with her didn't he? She was therefore willing to entertain an affair with someone of lesser status and quite possibly felt that being hitched to Claudius was a comedown despite being married into the royal family.

It is interesting that she isn't described in better detail by anyone. A sign of an unremarkable woman?

Interesting speculation but she married Claudius in 10 AD, only four years before Auggie's passing. And they (royal family) tried to keep Claudius out of the limelight as much as possible. When Tiberius came to power, decorum and social events went to the winds, he could have cared less.

Yet, I think your suspicions are well founded. Compare the match to her to Messalina, a head turner of the times.