UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Numantine Wars

Primus Pilus

I received this private message from a new member and thought perhaps some others could provide some insight...

The original query from member 'jon'

Hi,

I am a new visitor to the site and would be very great ful if you could help me with a query.

I am very interested in the Celt-Iberian wars, in particular the Numantine Wars of 153-133bc.

I am trying to find out which legions make have taken part in the conflicts both those of Polybius and Scipio respectively.

Would you know where I can find this information, or who else I can contact ? Your help would assist me very much.

Thankyou in anticicpation

Jon,

Welcome to UNRV.com. I'm afraid that the specifics of legion numbers are probably something you will never be able to determine.

The problem with Scipio in particular is that Appian tells us that he didn't even recruit a new army but simply took over the commands of existing legions. We don't know even know when the existing legions may have been originally recruited Consular legions. Were they from Caius Vetilius or Quintus Caecilius Metellus or anyone else?

We do know that Roman consular legions were generally numbered in order of recruitment. If Scipio had raised 5 legions, they would have traditionally been number Legio I - V respectively, however we know that he simply inherited legions. We don't know how many previous forces had been merged, pensioned off, re-constituted etc. Thankfully Appian does provide numbers of men but unfortunately this does not even begin to tell us if they were legionary or auxilia.

Let's use Metellus as an example. Appian tells us:

Caecilius Metellus was sent against them (Arevaci and Viriathus) from Rome with a larger army and he subdued the Arevaci, falling upon them suddenly while they were gathering their crops.

Later we learn some specifics:

At the end of winter Metellus surrendered to his successor, Quintus Pompeius Aulus, the command of the army, consisting of 30,000 foot and 2,000 horse, admirably trained.

From this we can start making some generic assumptions by using legionary size to determine how many legions would've been originally recruited. (Legio I through V or perhaps VI). However, again we don't know how many of these are Roman Consular legions and how many of these men are auxilia. Consider still that this is still some time before the arrival of Scipio.

I know you sent this to me privately, but I'm going to post this in the public forum because there are others who could provide some insight.

Cheers,

Chris

None of the literature give any hint to legion numbering.

Ah but Appian does give a clue!

Quintus Fabius Maximus Aemilianus, when he was sent as consul (145 BC) with a consular army against Viriathus he was said to have levied 2 legions of fresh recruits to take to Spain to spare the veterens of the Macedonian & Punic wars.

The size of this force when mustered was 15000 infantry & 2000 horse which including the Iberian allies. Going by some of the other numbers given for this conflict I think it's safe to say there were about ~5000 to a legion.

Indeed. While I don't get the impression that this is being asked, it should also be pointed out that in no way, shape or form did any of the legions that fought in these wars evolve into any of the surviving named and numbered legions of the Augustan era.

When trying to determine the number of legions, doesn't one have to consider the number of men the Italian allies had to supply along with each legion?

Exactly, though I used auxilia as the terminology in my first reply, the thought is interchangeable as pertains to our discussion here.

If half of the men under Metellus (using my first example) were non legionary 'auxilia' then who knows exactly how the arrangements and unit numbering were prepared.

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant the number of the legions (as in legio I or legio III) rather than the numbers of men in the legions.

:bag:

Yeah, sorry, my fault. In that case I agree with you & P-P, the histories from this period are pretty mute on details like this.

When trying to determine the number of legions, doesn't one have to consider the number of men the Italian allies had to supply along with each legion?

Exactly, though I used auxilia as the terminology in my first reply, the thought is interchangeable as pertains to our discussion here.

If half of the men under Metellus (using my first example) were non legionary 'auxilia' then who knows exactly how the arrangements and unit numbering were prepared.

Not to go too far afield, didn't the Italian allies have to supply the equivalent of two legions for each Roman legion?