UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Neos Dionysos

Galla Placidia

I have been trying to find sources on this particular woman and the fact I have seen so little, (when you just brief her story you find astounding she doesn't rival Caesar in popularity), and so I am asking anyone here if they know of any non-fiction soucres? I don' care if they are old articles in like JRS or Historia, but for some reason I cannot find anything for her. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

You found nothing for her? Did you check your major online sources first?

Perhaps I should have been more specific, sorry I see now how I made it seem I was completely ignorant of her... I have seen all of the online sources on her and have read here and there little exercpts from other books which mention her, but I am searching for articles or sources that are devoted to her as a topic/subject. Since no books exist, (that I know of), I would hope journal articles do.

I ask because I would like to write an essay on her and my professors will not accept online sources as references... as it stands now I fear I will not be able to find enough material to write a 15 page paper, but who knows... I might.

Thanks for any help...

Edited by Neos Dionysos

You found nothing for her? Did you check your major online sources first?

Perhaps I should have been more specific, sorry I see now how I made it seem I was completely ignorant of her... I have seen all of the online sources on her and have read here and there little exercpts from other books which mention her, but I am searching for articles or sources that are devoted to her as a topic/subject. Since no books exist, (that I know of), I would hope journal articles do.

I ask because I would like to write an essay on her and my professors will not accept online sources as references... as it stands now I fear I will not be able to find enough material to write a 15 page paper, but who knows... I might.

Thanks for any help...

From the sources indicated at roman-emperors.org, it doesn't look like you could get more than a few pages.

Editions:

Primary: For Placidia's extant correspondence, see Otto Guenther ed., Epistulae imperatorum pontificum aliorum inde ab a. CCCLXVII usque ad a. DLIII datae avellana quae dicitur collectio, C.S.E.L. vol 35 pt.1 (Vienna, 1895) nos.25,27-28 (pp.71-74).

Critical Studies:

Gerke, F., "L'Iconografia delle monete imperiale dall' Augusta Galla Placidia." Corsi di cultura sull'arte ravennate e bizantina 13(1966): 163-204

Nagl, Maria Assunta, Galla Placidia , Studien zur Geschichte und Kultur des Altertums. New York, 1967.

Oost, Stewart I. "Galla Placidia and the Law." Classical Philology 63(1968): 114-121.

________. "Some Problems in the History of Galla Placidia." Classical Philology 60(1965): 1-10.

________. Galla Placidia Augusta. A Biographical Essay. Chicago, 1968.

Sirago, V.A. Galla Placidia e la trasformazione politica dell' Occidente. Louvain, 1961.

Thank you for those - I have studied Galla, and found sources pertaining specifically to her rather lacking.

Just some more books to read!

Thank you - my little bio of her can now be expanded!

I've been searching for books on Galla Placidia for a long time as well. Sadly the best I've come across so far is a Spanish Romance novel about her. So far no readily available modern book is available about her in English, so we'll have to carry on waiting for one. It is a shame, considering she was one of the greatest and most fascinating women of the ancient world, and desrves a lot more recognition.

I've been searching for books on Galla Placidia for a long time as well. Sadly the best I've come across so far is a Spanish Romance novel about her. So far no readily available modern book is available about her in English, so we'll have to carry on waiting for one. It is a shame, considering she was one of the greatest and most fascinating women of the ancient world, and desrves a lot more recognition.

The book that Ingsoc references is in English and though a bit hard to get hands on seems very nice. Sadly I have not had the chance to read it so I do not know about it yet.

This is the only book on her I even know of.

Neos D, are you familiar with WorldCat? I did a search on "Galla Placidia" and turned up several books for you:

http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat...amp;fq=dt%3Abks

Through WorldCat you should also be able to determine whether any public or university libraries near you have these books in their collections. Better still, go to your own public library and ask the librarian to interloan these books from other libraries for you.

-- Nephele

I don't know if you read Italian. If you or someone you know does and you can access this book via interlibrary loan, take a look:

Galla Placidia. La nobilissima

di Sirago Vito A.

http://www.unilibro.it/find_buy/Scheda/lib...obilissima_.htm

A piece on the web, also in Italian:

http://www.ariannaeditrice.it/articolo.php?id_articolo=13604

Bona fortuna!

Hi Neos D, Melisende and DecimusCaesar,

For the last couple of months I'm trying to get a good picture of the intriguing life and times of Galla Placidia, after my visit to Ravenna last summer and again last October.Her date of birth is a mystery! So I analized theone page easy available from Stewart Irvin Oost