UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favourite Politically Correct Term!

Tobias

G'day all

We all see examples of political correctness in our respective countries quite often i'm sure; so let's have a little fun with that. Everyone list down their favourite politically correct term, or the one they find most amusing/ridiculous.

A recent one here in Australia; a black-out is no longer a black-out, but an "Electrical Interruption" :P

Here in California, land of Political Correctness, it makes me gag sometimes. And I grew up here...saw the tide change as a kid...and it still sucks. Some of the ones which come to my (still vacationing and very groggy) mind:

People of color (um, I'm not exactly an albino, ya know...)

Differently-abled

Crap...I'll add more later. Need more rest first.

Another great one of recent times from Australia, was Queenlands re-naming of the Victorian "Fairy Penguin" to "Little Penguin", to avoid offending the gay community. (The gay community thought the change rediculous) - here's an article

People of color (um, I'm not exactly an albino, ya know...)

Differently-abled

In law school there were two recycle bins in the computer room, one was for white paper and one was for colored paper. Someone with a marker rewrote it to say "paper of color".

Everyone--African-Americans, whites and the few asians and indians--thought it was pretty funny, the relationship between races was as good as I've ever seen it, of course one prof was offended and made a big stink over it.

Edited by Virgil61

LOL

Vertically Challenged

I was having a discussion with my disabled friend about this. He gets mad when someone calls him "differently abled". He says "I'm not "differently abled" I'm disabled! If I became a Sith Lord and got Dark Jedi Powers I would be "differently abled" but I'm not, I'm just disabled!"

lol now they are changing the words to "we wish you a merry christmas" so that it's "we wish you a happy holidays".

Christians, I'm sure, are the ones who think non-Christians should be offended by "merry christmas". As a pagan I find this to be rediculous and I haven't met anyone yet (Christian or non) who is offended by "merry christmas"

The whole holiday thing is funny to me...but slightly annoying. It used to be that you had 'Christmas break' and 'Easter break' in school. Ok, 'Easter break' got changed to 'spring break' because it didn't hit at Easter...so that makes sense. Now 'Christmas break' is 'winter break'...and I guess it's ok...but it still sounds funny.

'Senior citizen' has been around as long as I have, so it doesn't bother me. Perhaps it's new to the rest of the English-speaking world?

I was having a discussion with my disabled friend about this. He gets mad when someone calls him "differently abled". He says "I'm not "differently abled" I'm disabled! If I became a Sith Lord and got Dark Jedi Powers I would be "differently abled" but I'm not, I'm just disabled!"

This always cracks me up... especially "Handi-Capable". I always thought "How So???"

As for others:

'Common Sense' is now deemed 'Critical Thinking Skills' (either way sounds like you need it)

'Stewardess' now 'Flight Attendant' (I think Steward & Stewardess has more class)

Then there's the humerous ones:

Dirty Old Man: Sexually focused chronologically gifted individual

You mean I cant say Trolley Dolly to an Air Hostess any more? :P

My favourite example of politcal correctness occoured when the "understanding" 'ageing-hippy, namby-pamby, liberal-lefty' governors from my college tried to stop teachers from using the term brainstrom as it apparently offended epileptics.

I know this is a very clich

My favourite example of politcal correctness occoured when the "understanding" 'ageing-hippy, namby-pamby, liberal-lefty' governors from my college tried to stop teachers from using the term brainstrom as it apparently offended epileptics.

I know this is a very clich