UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Wearing The Gladius On The Right

Why did the Roman legionary carry his gladius on the right? I'm not a reenactor (if I had the money and time I would be!). I can't comprehend how they'd draw their weapons without injuring the man next to them? Do they keep their swords on the right because so many Romans were superstitious about anything to do with the left?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has already been discussed very in depth Here

Hope that helps :)

Indeed they are now merged , NTP just scroll backwards and you will see plenty of debate.

I'd disagree. It would be a bizarre tradition indeed that decreed only officers should wear their swords on the most convenient side of their body. The Romans were keen on tradition, there's no doubt of that but in military affairs they were also keen on practicality.

And since my own claim is based on nothing much other than sheer speculation, I'm afraid that I can't quite make a very good case for it. ;)

I've drawn and sheathed my gladius quite a lot of times, and I can see total advantage over having in on the left. Consider a blade that is very sharp (mine is not), with a shield close in. One would have to be very careful not to nick the underside of the left forearm, and a longer motion is needed, a sweep of the point, as it were.

With the gladius on the right, however, turning the palm out, thumb to the rear, drawing directly up while raising the point forward with a half rotation (much easier to do than say) the amount of space needed for the arc of the blade point is smaller, lateral space used is basically nil, and all the point swing is toward the enemy. In close quarters, the man on your right is in no danger. Romans didn't make that tight shield wall all the time, but when they did, there would still be room.

I'm sure someone else has already said that same thing. Anyone should know who has actually stood in a row and drawn simultaneously. It's easy, safer than it seems, and a simple, elegant movement.

Nuff said, I reckon.

• 1 year later...
Wasn't there a centurion nicknamed "fetch another" because he kept breaking his vine staff over soldiers' backs?

Did he actually demonstrate this particular method of discipline? (Logically I would think "no" but then reenactors do some weird things sometimes in the name of authenticity :))

Yes, he did. And finally, his century rebelled, and drowned him in the river. I had the book just the other day that had his name in it, and the episode, but can't see it right now. (*gotta clean this place one of these days...no telling what's lurking in here*) :(

• 4 years later...

Drawing the sword straight up from the right also limits your vulnerability from enemy weapons. With the scutum being slightly curved, the only way to have the space to draw your sword from the left would involve turning your shield outwards slightly, exposing your chest (albeit perhaps only a small section) but certainly enough for a spear-man to take advantage of. Drawing the sword from the right is easier to do whilst maintaining maximum protection.

Interesting thread. Thanks for reactivating it.

My view is that the actual draw of the sword isn't too important for the post-Marius infantryman. If all went to plan, it would be drawn, in hand, and ready long before any engagement took place. Therefore, the side it was carried on would be the more significant than the side it was drawn from.

It seems to me that a right-handed soldier would find it easier to draw his sword from the left across his body. Why did Roman legionnaries (at least till the third century AD) wear their scabbards on the right? Was there any advantage?

This practice was developed to allow the soldier to draw his sword in tight formation without bumping the guy next to him, bearing in mind he was holding a shield (a square/rectangular, elongated hexagonal, or oval scutum) and thus could foul the sword when the soldier least expected it. With a short blade it remains practicable, and note that centurions wore their swords on the left side.