UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Caius Maxentius

Wearing The Gladius On The Right

My two cents worth...

The scutum is a big heavy curved shield - with a left hand draw it would cause problems with any sword. Because the gladius is a shortsword it was actually more convenient to employ a right hand draw. I've tried that myself and its actually very easy. The spatha can't be drawn like that so yes, it had to move back across to the left. Centurions used the left hand draw for convenience and possibly another mark of status. They didn't always have a shield to hand in any case.

I just tried the right side draw with my cutlass. Not the same as a gladius I know, I think the blade is actually longer. But it was surprisingly easy. I had no idea how easy it would be ;)

It is awkward for the right hand to grab the hilt of the sword if the scabbord is on the left. Also, ones stomach gets in the way.

If the shield is not moved a considerable distance, one stands a good chance of slashing the left forearm.

I questioned the men of LEG II about drawing the Gladius:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=896

(here a Belgic Auxiliary demonstrates the draw), all were unanimous in saying that the draw was easy , quick and neat.The sword was out in a trice, wth no hint of fouling any other piece of equipment.

Here's a shot that Gaius Octavius will find hard to believe: all the swords look like they are armpit high, but this position is the fastest draw! The Optio is nearest and he is a long serving re-enactor so his kit is right.I think the the thing is that the Lorica look so inflexible but they bend like tinfoil.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=913

Here's a shot that Gaius Octavius will find hard to believe: all the swords look like they are armpit high, but this position is the fastest draw! The Optio is nearest and he is a long serving re-enactor so his kit is right.I think the the thing is that the Lorica look so inflexible but they bend like tinfoil.

I am sure that the lads know what they are doing. It's my useless wits that get in the way.

Lol I can believe it. It looks difficult to get your hand in the right position, but really I don't think it would be that hard to draw the weapon. Actually, an added benefit to having it positioned that high is that it doesn't get caught around your legs as easily (a sword getting caught around your legs, or when you are trying to sit down, or getting caught in the door, is a pain in the butt and would be terrible in battle)

I actually got into an argument one time with a guy who thought you absolutely could not move in segmentata. It was so aweful it was never used outside of Rome. :ph34r: He would know, he's in the SCA.

I actually got into an argument one time with a guy who thought you absolutely could not move in segmentata. It was so aweful it was never used outside of Rome. :ph34r: He would know, he's in the SCA.

The Segmentata allow full rotation of the trunk and total freedom of arm movement: wet weather however requires plenty of maintenance work to keep your gear shiny and rust free.Having said that chain needs tender care as well, but has the advantadge of being "slip on" for those tricky late night skirmishes.

I can see how that would work. It's really hard to explain, but all you really have to do is grab the handle, thumb toward you, and pull the gladius out. Flicking the wrist will point the gladius foreward. It does look pretty quick.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

I believe the reason for wearing the Gladius on the right was simple. When advancing in tight formation, legionaries would have very little 'personally space' to manoeuvre in, therefore if a legionary unsheathed his sword on the right hand side he would evidently take less space, and would not get in the way of his neighbour: elbows etc. may cause trouble if the gladius was drawn from the left.

I think you're probably right. If it really does take less space (and right now I'm thinking that it does) then it would be the perfect solution. And the officers wearing their sword on the left was simply a sign of rank.

Additionally, the officers wearing their gladius' on the left would most probably be out of the formation giving the orders.

Additionally, the officers wearing their gladius' on the left would most probably be out of the formation giving the orders.

The centurions were at the head of the battle.

The centurions were at the head of the battle.

Am I right to suggest that Centurions suffered a disproportianate casualty rate ? Does anyone have a source as relates to this suggestion?