UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Caius Maxentius

Wearing The Gladius On The Right

Everytime I see a picture of a centurion, no matter where, or from what source be it history channel or re-enactments, the centurions don't have shields. They also had to be right there... I mean right there in the thick of it all to watch for acts of bravery, give orders, cover wounded, and hold the line.

IF you ever have the chance, watch the action packed documentary; Life and Death in Rome: The Legions

Fortunately I taped it, but I can not find it anywhere to purchase it. It is awesome. It follows a legionnaire, Maximus. Archeologists found his grave, and they use the decor on his grave to try to piece what his life was like in the army. There is some good stuff on centurions in there too, from training to battle.

The centurions were at the head of the battle.

This is indeed true, but when his century was in tight formation he would more or less be on the side giving the orders.

Fortunately I taped it, but I can not find it anywhere to purchase it. It is awesome. It follows a legionnaire, Maximus. Archeologists found his grave, and they use the decor on his grave to try to piece what his life was like in the army. There is some good stuff on centurions in there too, from training to battle.

Where was the tombstone found?

Edited by WotWotius

Additionally, the officers wearing their gladius' on the left would most probably be out of the formation giving the orders.

Am I right to suggest that Centurions suffered a disproportianate casualty rate ? Does anyone have a source as relates to this suggestion?

I believe that you are right but I can't give a citation at the moment. In WWII, platoon leaders suffered the highest casualty rates. The person to get first, was and is the officer. Doing so cuts off the head, so to speak.

BTW, I think that at one point in this thread I held with the right hand draw of the gladius.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Where was the tombstone found?

If I remember correctly, it was found somewhere in Greece.

I should watch it again, and write a documentary review... hehe. However, this coming week I am dreadfully busy.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

This is indeed true, but when his century was in tight formation he would more or less be on the sidelines giving the orders.

From this it doesn't follow that the centurion wasn't in the thick of the fight. Still, wouldn't an enemy want to get at the one giving the orders?

Edited by Gaius Octavius

As a digression I can tell you why the common soldiery thought Officers "bought it " in the first WW , their thin knees. The profile they presented to the enemy was quite distinct, taller, spindlier , with high puttees and revolvers on lanyards-but the joke was as regards their physical shape , the men were all alleged to be short and knobbly the officers etoliated and boney.My late Uncle Frank ( Somme) also rather unfairly suggested it was because "they were a set of twerps".I think he really meant the "higher ups", but he was venting a little class hatred.I think Graves in "Goodbye to All That" talks of the very same thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0140274...ce&n=266239

The Centurions would be exposed on the right hand side of the formation they lead , and I assume that they must, by the very prestige of their rank and the nature of Roman ideals , press forward with great resolution . Note:They certainly did carry shields of the same shape and size of those of the unit they lead.

Note:They certainly did carry shields of the same shape and size of those of the unit they lead.

;) I swear I've never seen them with one!

I believe you though. :D

Tombstone? In Greece? Thought that he was burned at Rome. In any case, it doesn't go to where he was born.

In re the 'twerps', it could very well be that they got it in the back while advancing.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Note:They certainly did carry shields of the same shape and size of those of the unit they lead.

;) I swear I've never seen them with one!

I believe you though. :D

Often in re-enactments the Centurion is showing off his phalerae to an admiring public , but if you flick through the relevant galleries on my msn blog you will see Centurions of LEG VIII and LEG II with their men.

My reply sounded a little harsh , that is not as I intended.

From this it doesn't follow that the centurion wasn't in the thick of the fight. Still, wouldn't an enemy want to get at the one giving the orders?

He could still be in the thick of combat if he was at the sideline of the formation.

In any case, it doesn't go to where he was born.

Not necessarily, many military tombstones have been found in Britain hundreds of miles away from the person which they commemorate. I think it was only really the higher ranks of the military that received the honour of being buried in their birthplace.

Edited by WotWotius

According to the vid, he spent most of his life in the military, served as a veteran, accumulated two of those arm-bracelet things, if I remember... a laurel from trajan, and some other stuff. Hey, it's been a while... a half-year is pushing my memory.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

The logic of this thread is addling my poor wits. I'm off to put a Perfect Patented Pertimaxus into the corpus.

He could still be in the thick of combat if he was at the sideline of the formation.

In any case, it doesn't go to where he was born.

Not necessarily, many military tombstones have been found in Britain hundreds of miles away from the person which they commemorate. I think it was only really the higher ranks of the military that received the honour of being buried in their birthplace.

This may be of interest, remember the memoria were also stylised , this is a good example :

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=951

The logic of this thread is addling my poor wits. I'm off to put a Perfect Patented Pertimaxus into the corpus.

AS your Medicus I strongly advise immediate ingestion.