UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Wearing The Gladius On The Right

Was the stick also carried to the battlefield as a sign of rank?

reenactors do some weird things

Very true, I remember hearing about a cohort Russian Napoleonic reenactors who, during a mock battle, accidentally impaled a reeactor with cannon cleaner (they left it inside the cannon when firing it...:P), and in the name of authenticity they just put to one side and didn't give him any medical attention until after the battle had passed.

...those crazy Russkis

Edited by WotWotius

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I admire your new avatar!

2. This Primus Pilus is keen on "Dignitas" and expects his men to represent Rome with decorum and gravity, I doubt that he has followed the example from Tacitus that you cite, but I understand he eschews levity. Note his rank markings on the scutum, and the Legions Capricorn standard.

1. Thanks, I grew tired of the old one. This one is a fractal. :P

2. Was that Tacitus? I don't recall where I heard it. I think it was on this site somewhere.

I noticed the unusual markings on the Centurion's shield, but I have no clue what they mean?

2. Was that Tacitus? I don't recall where I heard it. I think it was on this site somewhere.

I read about that centurion in a Horrible History (Terry Dearing's The Rotten Romans): probably not a good source, but a good primary school read nonetheless.

LW Yes it was Tacitus , from "The Annals", the mans brutality was one of the factors in the revolt of Germanicus' men,(also quite well done in "The Caesars" TV series weve chatted about before).

Check the gallery for a second post of the Centurions gear. I was wondering about taking the stick into battle myself WW, British Officers still took their "swagger sticks" with them in the II WW ("Bridge too far" is a most notable real life re creation ) , thats a question for the next re-enactment I think!

Nasty looking lad. How would you like for him to put in a cameo appearance in one of your nightmares?

(no comment) hehehe :lol:

Pertinax is that bracelet he's wearing also a symbol of his rank?

I understood the amulets were, like the phalerae , awarded as mementoes of particular bravery-the conspicuous rewarding of bravery being a fundamental tenent of Roman martial activity.

Wow, thanks pertinax, those are some good shots, especially the last one there. For lack of a better word, I must say Centurions look so badass.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

Wow, thanks pertinax, those are some good shots, especially the last one there. For lack of a better word, I must say Centurions look so badass.

I know, aren't they awesome? :lol:

They were made to look like that for a few reasons. First off, they wanted to appear intimidating both in battle and to their own troops, as it helped them to gain the respect, or fear, of their men. Secondly, it made them appear authoritative. And third, the large (red? or other colors depending on the depiction you see) crest made it easy to find your Centurion on the battlefield.

And third, the large (red? or other colors depending on the depiction you see) crest made it easy to find your Centurion on the battlefield.

...and easy for the enemy to find him. I think we've found the reason for the disproportionate amount of centurion casualties on the battlefield

...and easy for the enemy to find him. I think we've found the reason for the disproportionate amount of centurion casualties on the battlefield

Of course. But you didn't become a Centurion by hiding ;) you got that post through display of valor, among other things.

Talking of military casualty figures, there is a Roman Inscription in Britain (RIB) that gives a list of how many dead and how many wounded a Roman cohort experienced during a skirmish. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was from the time of Hadrian.

Does anybody know of such an inscription?