UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Severus

Senate & Patrician/plebian Members

I'd just like to say this board has been a great source of information and discussion. I am glad to have stumbled upon it.

My question is this (and I've looked through threads on the forum but couldn't find one that answered it)

Can anyone help clarify who was allowed into the senate in regards to Plebians/Patricians? I am sure this question will have different answers depending on the time frame but I have no good sources on this and would like to clarify the info. Also what were the requirements for becoming a magistrate (any part of the cursus honorem)

Any good websites or books that might help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

A nice description of the cursus honorum can be found here. For a description of public offices, the Little dictionary is also nice.

Briefly, for most of Roman history, plebeians were allowed to hold magistracies from the quaestorship to the consulship, which was the requirement for entry to the senate. Far from being excluded, plebeians held the majority of Senate positions from at least the time of Sulla, who raised a great many plebs to senatorial rank.

Patricians on the other hand were excluded from holding the tribuneship and many other offices. Between 367 and 300 BCE, laws were passed mandating that at least one of the two consuls, censors, and aediles be plebeian and half of all priesthoods had to be plebeian.

Although the Senate was open to freeborn Romans regardless of Patrician ancestry, there were property qualifications for various magistracies.

[EDIT: I'm referring to how things stood while the Republic still breathed; after that, a horse could be made senator.]

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

...after that, a horse could be made senator.

But NEVER was!! :D

Several "mules" held office under the moribund republic though.

Phil

Caligula made a horse a senator, but to my knowledge, only humans were senators in the Repubic (although there was this one guy who pretended to be the descendent of Venus).

Caligula made a horse a senator, but to my knowledge, only humans were senators in the Repubic (although there was this one guy who pretended to be the descendent of Venus).

I hope people will understand that Caligula was just joking in contempt of the annoying Senate. He probably was like, "You Senators do nothing but plot against me, even that horse there would be a better and active senator."

Thank you FVC, you took the words out of my mouth!! There is no evidence Gaius ever carried through his "threat" - if it was ever made.

But my reference to "mules" was a bad pun on the concept of Marius' "mules" - ie his heavily burdened legionaries, extended to cover his supporters. But if one thinks of the characteristics of a mule as stubborness and stupidity (I know I probably libel mules everywhere) then men like Bibulus might qualify for the term.

Phil

Thank you FVC, you took the words out of my mouth!! There is no evidence Gaius ever carried through his "threat" - if it was ever made.

But my reference to "mules" was a bad pun on the concept of Marius' "mules" - ie his heavily burdened legionaries, extended to cover his supporters. But if one thinks of the characteristics of a mule as stubborness and stupidity (I know I probably libel mules everywhere) then men like Bibulus might qualify for the term.

Phil

I'm under the impression that Caligula made his horse a senator, but died before he could make it Consul.