UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

210 Reasons For The Decline Of The Roman Empire

But did the Roman Empire really "fall" ? Isn't this an outdated way of looking at the Roman world? It certainly carried on in the East for a long time. Granted that living standards in the West declined rapidly beginning at least by the 6th century.

But did the Roman Empire really "fall" ? Isn't this an outdated way of looking at the Roman world? It certainly carried on in the East for a long time. Granted that living standards in the West declined rapidly beginning at least by the 6th century.

Good point - the 'fall' versus ' evolution' debate rumbles on through various parts of the forum. I go for the view that the Roman world carried on for about another two centuries after the fall, complete with 'proper' Romans. After about 650 I think it was evolving into something else - although the Byzantine Empire was definitely still the same state as that founded at the start of the Republic, and continued to be until 1453. If you go for the view that the senate and church merged to form the current Roman Catholic Church, then it continues to this day - not my view, but one worth looking at.

Guest Barkly

I fail to see how Public Baths helped in the decline of the Roman Empire

I think the suggestion would be in keeping with the sensational and lascivious acts mentioned in the link here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1787

Baths and arcades corrupt and soften both the mind and the soul...

Baths & sex; booze & sex; culture & sex! War & Sex! Ah those Romans had it all right! Elementary, my dear WotWotius!

Some historian felt that one of the contributing factors for the Fall was the deforestation of Italy.

Perhaps it gets people taking too much pleasure in it and they fail to resist the enemies together when under attack.

You know that list is all well and good, but I humbly pose the question; did Rome fall at all?

Considering the influence the Vatican still has upon humanity, I think the question valid.

Edited by Julian

In my opinion the Roman Empire fell after Constantinople was captured but considering there still are "Roman Catholics" I also feel a psuedo-Roman empire still exists (as in the influence is still very present).

In my opinion the Roman Empire fell after Constantinople was captured but considering there still are "Roman Catholics" I also feel a psuedo-Roman empire still exists (as in the influence is still very present).

I agree with that as Roman culture really influences the world very deeply, which can be shown in many aspect like politics, economy and cultural development. (Examples: Latin transformed to European languages like Italian, French and Spanish; Greco-Roman style buildings and art works construct in the Renaissance or even nowadays.)

I would have to disagree unless you have some info i havent seen, becauze i never found out what happened to the byzantie empire after the fall of Constantinople. Did the turks go into Greece? History's records state that an invasion of Greece from asia minor would be a bad idea. (Ask Dionissus, he'll tell you) Did greece just go back into a united but seperate city-state system?

By the time that Constantinople fell, it was not much more than an enclave and a vassalage of the Turks. Much of the Balkans had already been conquered. The Moslem prophet commanded that Constantinople and Jerusalem be conquered.