UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Sand Of The Arena By James Duffy

Another review has been completed for our Roman Books section, thanks to community member Skarr.

From the very first line in the action packed first book that author James Duffy crafted in this series on the gladiators of the empire, you are transported to a gory, violent world that was ancient Rome, particularly in the arenas that recreated much of the action that the common plebeians hungered for. Packed to the gills, these sand filled arenas provided most of the entertainment that the weary citizens of Rome looked for, a vicarious substitute that provided all the excitement, danger and blood in a relatively safe environment, except for the occasional riot or accident of fate, when wild animals were set loose into the spectator stands, claiming several innocent lives....

...read the full review of Sand of the Arena by James Duffy

I thought this book was a terrifically fun read. What it lacks in depth it more than makes up for in excitement. The characters are a little crudely drawn, and after just watching Gladiator for the first time in a few years, I realize that much of the core plot was ripped straight from the movie. But as Skarr warned in the review, I had trouble putting it down. I wondered how Duffy would be able to differentiate one gladiator battle from the next, but he imaginatively twists and turns the scenes to make each one individual and unique.

The dialogue is a bit obvious and made-for-tv, but at the end of the story, I couldn't help but care about Quintus, Lindani and even Amazonia. And I couldn't help but hate Lucius.

For long commutes or flights, or if just seeking a diversionary story, I'd highly recommend this.

Another review has been completed for our Roman Books section, thanks to community member Skarr.

From the very first line in the action packed first book that author James Duffy crafted in this series on the gladiators of the empire, you are transported to a gory, violent world that was ancient Rome, particularly in the arenas that recreated much of the action that the common plebeians hungered for. Packed to the gills, these sand filled arenas provided most of the entertainment that the weary citizens of Rome looked for, a vicarious substitute that provided all the excitement, danger and blood in a relatively safe environment, except for the occasional riot or accident of fate, when wild animals were set loose into the spectator stands, claiming several innocent lives....

...read the full review of Sand of the Arena by James Duffy

hey guys, in my opinion of the book is that it is the best thing i have ever read!!! If I could I wish there is some way to get it out to more people! Quintes remindes me alot of me and my martial arts training. the one this i wish they would have painted in my head a little bit better would be the fight's little longer james did a wonderfull job as it is, but his book left me wanting more !!! I can not get anuf of this book it is my absolute favioret book. 5 dead thracians out of 5 :):clapping:

5 dead thracians out of 5 :):clapping:

We should rate all our books in Dead Gladiators:

Conspirata/Lustrum by Robert Harrismed_gallery_3894_174_20217.png

I remember the first review or two I did, I used Senators (e.g, four out of five Senators). I think Viggen edited that out when we went "professional." wink.gif

I love that book as well as its sequel "The Fight for Rome". It's the most authentic description of gladiators I've read in a novel so far and still the story is thrilling which for me is a proof that it doesn't need to be Hollywood gladiators to have a thrilling story.

Actually James Duffy had planed three books but unfortunately sales of the first two volumes weren't as high as the publisher had expected so they dumped the series which is really a pitty I think. Maybe I should convince him to continue writing and publish it by book-on-demand.

I love that book as well as its sequel "The Fight for Rome". It's the most authentic description of gladiators I've read in a novel so far and still the story is thrilling which for me is a proof that it doesn't need to be Hollywood gladiators to have a thrilling story.

Actually James Duffy had planed three books but unfortunately sales of the first two volumes weren't as high as the publisher had expected so they dumped the series which is really a pitty I think. Maybe I should convince him to continue writing and publish it by book-on-demand.

heck yes you should this books are gold !!! but can anyone help me find a picture of what was tattooed on Quinte's chest and back ?

5 dead thracians out of 5 :):clapping:

We should rate all our books in Dead Gladiators:

Conspirata/Lustrum by Robert Harrismed_gallery_3894_174_20217.png

i like the 3 dead gladiators out of 5 :) lol

Interesting idea about rating books by dead gladiators. however, strictly speaking, we should rate books by palm leaves. The Romans never counted how many 'kills' they made, only the number of victories or dismissals. In other words, the death of the opponent was not the actual objective although we often see it that way. What the Romans saw was no advantage in gloating over the dead, partly for religious reasons in that you didn't want to upset the departed spirits, but also out of civilised sentiments. One extraordinary aspect of this is that despite the gladiators being either temporary or permanent slaves, they also retained this honourable mindset.

I remember the first review or two I did, I used Senators (e.g, four out of five Senators). I think Viggen edited that out when we went "professional." wink.gif

those first still have the senator rating, i think you guys stopped using them, the only thing i edit is spelling errors ;-)

dead gladiators are awesome btw... hehe

• Map of the Roman Empire