UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Book Recomendations

Guest mattnaik

Guest mattnaik

I'm sure this question has been asked before. I did a search and couldnt find anything focused on this topic. Whats a good read that will give me a good general overview of history of the Roman Empire. I want something thats fun to read, and not dry like a textbook.

I eventually want to start devling into specific topics but i want a general overview first so i can see where i want to start focusing. I was directed to "The Roman Empire" by Colin Wells by a friend but further research shows that it only covers hitory up to 235 AD. I was hoping to get something that would take me to at least Constantine and Christianity.

Would I be better served with 2 books one focusing on early history and one focusing on late history? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Guest mattnaik
History of Rome by Michael Grant is an excellent introduction. Grant provides quality insight while writing in a style that doesn't overwhelm the newcomer with historic academia.

It seems this book is a hard one to get a hold of. Neither amazon or barnes and noble has it. I'm not huge on buying used books. Any idea where i can get this new?

actually at Amazon you can get it for new, not from amazon direct but via the marketplace (people tend to forget that marketplace doesnt really mean used, third party dealers approved by amazon can sell their books there too...

History of Rome brand new via Amazon Marketplace

cheers

viggen