UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
WotWotius

New Hannibal Film

I once heard that Mr Diesel was apparently a very well read man on the subject of Ancient Rome, for some reason I had the lack of common sense to believe them...oh well, at least now I know the truth

Guest Darini Warlord

If only we could make our own historical movies. At least they would be better than Hannibal crossing the English Channel. :)

Plautus can you give us a link to where you found that press release? It's frightening how bad it is.

Sorry I was out for awhile. The press release was listed on Animation World Network, a on-line magazine for the animation community. www.awn.com last week.

Plautus can you give us a link to where you found that press release? It's frightening how bad it is.

Sorry I was out for awhile. The press release was listed on Animation World Network, a on-line magazine for the animation community. www.awn.com last week. July 24th, to be exact.

I am not responsible for any harm that this interview with Vin Diesel causes.

My favourite quote from it being:

'Diesel has even sought the advice of his friend and advisor Mel Gibson.'

...God help us all.

Hmm, whatever happened to Hannibal and his adventures in Britain?

Anyway, at least Mel knows how to make movies. They might be a bit short on accuracy at times, but they are usually entertaining.

I will probably involve killing the English in some way, so maybe Hannibal will end up in Britain!

If he wants to make the movie authentic perhaps it's best that he concentrates less on getting his actors to speak latin etc, and more on getting the events and characters correct.

He claims to be channeling Hannibal...but he's not sure if he has conquered Britain or not.

Does anyone know what has happened to this project, by the way? (Ye gods - do we care?) But I was interested to note that the link cited by Wot was done over a year ago. Has Vin's Hannibal been confined to the Hades of Hollywood already? Anyone have any updates?

I checked on IMDB. The films status hasn't been updated since June 2006. They were suppose to start filming in November, but I think that Vin Diesel is busy acting in another film. The fact that they were suppose to have started filming on this one last month and that they haven't even found filming locations doesn't bode well for this film. Its been going on now since 2001 and they still haven't even assembled much of the cast.

Does anyone know what has happened to this project, by the way? (Ye gods - do we care?)...

Of course we care! I hear there's a dramatic chariot chase down the Via Appia between Hannibal and Varro.

Edited by Virgil61

One thing I enjoy doing about historical movies is to try to figure out what political aspects concerning our contemporary world influenced it. From what I red in this thread and in the link provided by Primus Pillus, it seems that the purpose of this movie is above all anti-American. Let's start wit the analogies: Rome was the greatest empire ever (a word that today has became ugly), whereas the USA is frequently compared to an empire. Carthage was in Africa, an area that today is part of the Third World; the USA has been and continues frequently engaged in wars in the Third World. So, since Hannibal defeated the Romans in a number of battles and the movie pretends only to give emphasis to them (and perhaps make a lame excuse of his defeat in Zama), one can see here an attempt of portraying Hannibal as an anti-imperialist, Third-World hero, with thw implicit assumption that the "imperialist" Americans can also be defeated today. Actually, this theory gains even more weight if Denzel Washington, who is Black (a colour associated with the Third World), is chosen to perform Hannibal, who was White as one can see in this Roman bust:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bust_of_Hannibal.jpg

In this way, the movie also has a racist twist, since it subtly becomes anti-White, being all Whites seen as imperialists.

Perhaps they will have some sort of modern influence in it (otherwise many modern audiences won't see any relevance in the story). But I hardly think it will become a sort of anti-American film. I have no doubt that a lot of the brutality of the ancient world will be removed (along with other unsuitable subjects: Temple prostitution and child sacrifice) but over all, I think we can expect a rather dumb-down action flick.

Perhaps they will have some sort of modern influence in it (otherwise many modern audiences won't see any relevance in the story). But I hardly think it will become a sort of anti-American film.

Well, we'll see that when the movie comes out (though I hope it won't).

I have no doubt that a lot of the brutality of the ancient world will be removed (along with other unsuitable subjects: Temple prostitution and child sacrifice) but over all, I think we can expect a rather dumb-down action flick.

Agree on this point. I doubt however that I will be able to see it until the end. In the case of Vin's movies, I was never able to see beyond the first 10 minutes. ;)

Perhaps they will have some sort of modern influence in it (otherwise many modern audiences won't see any relevance in the story). But I hardly think it will become a sort of anti-American film. I have no doubt that a lot of the brutality of the ancient world will be removed (along with other unsuitable subjects: Temple prostitution and child sacrifice) but over all, I think we can expect a rather dumb-down action flick.

Oliver Stone's Alexander has been perceived as an anti-American film. Although I cannot really read this into it, many of Stone's scrutinisers seemed to believe that the film was more about the war in Iraq than an epic journey of conquest set in the 4th Century BC.