UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Roman History Books (July 2006)

Viggen

The Mirror of the Self : Sexuality, Self-Knowledge, and the Gaze in the Early Roman Empire by Shadi Bartsch

Barbarian Tides: The Migration Age And the Later Roman Empire by Walter Goffart

The Christian Catacombs of Rome by V. F. Nicolai

Caesar in Gaul and Rome : War in Words by Andrew M. Riggsby

The Chronicle of Theophanes by Theophanes, Harry Turtledove

Companion to the Roman Republic by Michael Alexander,William Batstone,Edward Bispham, Anthony Corbeill, Jean-Michel David, Luuk De Ligt, Elisabeth Deniaux, Arthur Eckstein, Paul Erdkamp, Daniel Gargola

The Cambridge Dictionary of Classical Civilization by Graham Shipley, John Vanderspoel, David Mattingly, Lin Foxhall

Roman Manliness : "Virtus" and the Roman Republic by Myles McDonnell

A History of Exile in the Roman Republic by Gordon P. Kelly

and of course our very "own" Mr. Dalby`s Rediscovering Homer: Inside the Origins of the Epic

The bestselling books on Unrv.com for June you can find here

Did you see the price tag on some of these books? Gods above...

Indeed, I was going to suggest that I would enjoy reviewing the "manliness" title, given the many debates this concept touches upon, then saw the price tag .At least the list lead me to Keay's previous "spice route"

title. :)

Edited by Pertinax

I've learned something... good academic books are not cheap... and... if you really can't dish out the cash, then I do as my prof's do... get a copy, (from a library or something), and get to a photocopy machine and just go to down. Though, I have yet to do this, since I just HAVE to have the book and so, sadly I end up dishing out the cash... even for the high end ones... :) Curse my addiction to books!

if you really can't dish out the cash, then I do as my prof's do... get a copy, (from a library or something), and get to a photocopy machine and just go to down.

That's called the 'grad student special' ;) And I've done it many times...and am going to do so again, once I get paid on a regular basis (again).

Also: many university libraries take purchase requests. I know they'll take them from grad students and professors, and perhaps some will from the undergrads, too. It might be a while before the library gets them, but hey, it's worth the wait sometimes.

Well with books that are already published there is always a way to save money....

For example The Mirror of the Self is 45 dollar at Amazon, but if you go to Half

and then type in 0226038351 (thats the ISBN number) you will see that you can get a copy for 17 bucks (+ shipping)...

cheers

viggen

One of my biggest problems is the lack of libraries for about 15 miles and also my lack of money, so the big academic books are almost always out of my reach.(except for The Oxford Classical Dictionary which I bought off of Amazon).

The Libraries I have visited on the other hand lack many books on the Classical World, seeing as they only have some of the penguin translations (Plutarch, Cicero etc) and not much else.

Edited by DecimusCaesar