UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Q Valerius Scerio

Nihil Latinae

I'd like to propose some changes to the forum names here at UNRV to correct its Latin:

Gloria Exercitus does not mean "to the glory of the army". You can substitute "to" for "the", "with", "in", "by", etc... but not "to".

Legatii should actually be Legati, from legatus, -a, -um.

Peregrini should probably be plural Peregrinorum.

Humanitas and Romana should probably be switched.

Bellum Arena looks ambiguous - if correct means "War in the Arena" if not correct means "War Arena". You might want to strike out Bellum altogether - it's redundant.

N.B. Postilla is an adverb meaning "afterwards"...

I'd like to propose some changes to the forum names here at UNRV to correct its Latin:

Just a couple of comments on QVS's proposal:

"Peregrini should probably be plural Peregrinorum" But it can make sense as it is: "The Traveller's Forum". That's OK (though nothing wrong with QVS's alternative, which would mean "The Travellers' Forum"!) I would leave this one alone.

"Humanitas and Romana should probably be switched" There's no real reason to do that. It is legitimate in Latin to place adjectives before nouns -- it gives a different emphasis, and in this case the rhythm is nice. I know we were told not to do it in Latin classes (a century ago!) but that was to get us out of the English habit of ALWAYS putting the adjective before the noun.

Gloria Exercitus does not mean "to the glory of the army". You can substitute "to" for "the", "with", "in", "by", etc... but not "to".

Its a very common coin obverse legend throughout the later 3rd and 4th centuries. The idea of the coinage was to pay homage and ensure loyalty to the legions by giving "Glory to the Army". Its context is actually quite correct in the way it is intended.

Legatii should actually be Legati, from legatus, -a, -um.

Yup that's a bad one.

Bellum Arena looks ambiguous - if correct means "War in the Arena" if not correct means "War Arena". You might want to strike out Bellum altogether - it's redundant.

I agree that it doesn't sound all that great. I've sort of been hoping for a better suggestion. "Arena" seemed boring to me personally, but I suppose it would look better.

N.B. Postilla is an adverb meaning "afterwards"...

What would the proper context be then?

"Humanitas and Romana should probably be switched" There's no real reason to do that. It is legitimate in Latin to place adjectives before nouns -- it gives a different emphasis, and in this case the rhythm is nice. I know we were told not to do it in Latin classes (a century ago!) but that was to get us out of the English habit of ALWAYS putting the adjective before the noun.

It was still proper in prose to place the adjective after the noun excepting emphasis. I thought Humanitas was to be emphasized, since UNRV already includes all things Roman. Also, it just sounds better, though that may be a judgement call. It's not a big deal, which is why I only suggested it.

Its a very common coin obverse legend throughout the later 3rd and 4th centuries. The idea of the coinage was to pay homage and ensure loyalty to the legions by giving "Glory to the Army". Its context is actually quite correct in the way it is intended.

Yes quite, but that wasn't my point. My point was that your English was incorrect. It doesn't mean "To the Glory of the Army". Strike out to, being a dative case, and thus would make it "Gloriae Exercitus".

As for the Bellum Arena(which means 'sand' by the way) why not simply recall it Amphitheatrum or Certamen or something like that.

Arena also meant the battle area in the amphitheatre (which was covered in sand, whence the name). The Amphitheatrum is also a good word for the forum.

As an aside I was looking for a good sample of the Gloria Exercitus coin just for the hell of it but I couldn't find a legible image. In so doing I was struck instead by a Constantine Solidus which had the obverse legend Gloria Reipublicae. Interesting that some 350 years into the imperial period, a veiled idea of the old Republic was still being lauded.

Anyway... any suggestions for altering the Postilla Historia Romanorum or the Hora Postilla Thermae are also welcome.

I almost forgot. Consilium Comitia - bad Latin. What are you trying to say, exactly? I think perhaps Consilium Comitiorum?

Also, are you going to make the positions consistent? For example, you have Legati which is Latin but Triumvirate which is English. It should be either Legati/Triumviratus (or Triumviri) or Legates/Triumvirate.

I almost forgot. Consilium Comitia - bad Latin. What are you trying to say, exactly? I think perhaps Consilium Comitiorum?

Also, are you going to make the positions consistent? For example, you have Legati which is Latin but Triumvirate which is English. It should be either Legati/Triumviratus (or Triumviri) or Legates/Triumvirate.

Yes, there is the same inconsistency with Patrician (patricii), Plebeian (Plebes, Plebs or Plebeii) and Equestrian (equites). I should also make servus plural (servi). Though I suppose the average passerby would more easily recognize Patrician and Plebeian vs. Patricii/Plebes?

Yes, there is the same inconsistency with Patrician (patricii), Plebeian (Plebes, Plebs or Plebeii) and Equestrian (equites). I should also make servus plural (servi). Though I suppose the average passerby would more easily recognize Patrician and Plebeian vs. Patricii/Plebes?

For what it's worth, I would put the personal level titles in Latin (Patricii, etc.), just to maintain the consistency of the language...but explain it in the FAQ, or whatever. Then again, because I just got tagged for the same thing in revisions, perhaps that's why it's on my mind :D

In a quick count, that's eight different changes in one day on my recommendations. Do I get a prize? :D

:D

(I'd give you a gold star, but I don't have one of those on here)

Edited by docoflove1974

In a quick count, that's eight different changes in one day on my recommendations. Do I get a prize? :D

You get the satisfaction of knowing that you have a voice. :D

You get the satisfaction of knowing that you have a voice. :P

I wouldn't be here if I didn't already know that, and the forum would be the worse for it. :D