UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ludovicus

Augustus And Bush

Has anyone noticed how both Bush and Augustus used the media of their times to portray themselves as the defender of traditional values while all the while ushering in radical changes? Just look at the Ara Pacis and the Aeneid, Augustan propaganda that paint Octavian fully in line with cherished Roman "mores." Then Bush's use of Evangelical Protestantism and flag waving to cover the fact that his agenda is one of the most radical in US history, e.g. his refusal to obey laws enacted by Congress.

From the Boston Globe:

WASHINGTON -- President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Link: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...ndreds_of_laws/

N.B. Both the Ara Pacis and the Aeneid are both milestones of human achievement. Nonetheless, their reason for being was to promote Octavian's political agena: the end of the Republic.

Edited by Ludovicus

Modern politics go to the Afterhours lounge.

Thank you.

Ludovicus:

Do you truly wish to compare Augustus to bush? Augustus was his own man and not the mouthpiece of a few plutocrats (or should I coin a term - proctocrats) and their masters.

Ludovicus:

Do you truly wish to compare Augustus to bush? Augustus was his own man and not the mouthpiece of a few plutocrats (or should I coin a term - proctocrats) and their masters.

I meant only to underscore the way each administration used/uses the public forum to cloak their very radical agendas in traditional garb. I grant that Bush may lack the initiative and brain power of Augustus.

Bush isn't this first to do this since Augustus but I sense you may have an idea for new content for Plutarch's Lives...

Edited by Pantagathus

There is one HUGE difference between these two:

Augustus had a little something called "common sense" :lol:

Moved this to the arena, as I anticipate broken record Bush bashing followed by reactionary attacks against liberals by Bush supporters/conservatives.

Have at it.

Moved this to the arena, as I anticipate broken record Bush bashing followed by reactionary attacks against liberals by Bush supporters/conservatives.

Have at it.

Bush bashing? Not so! He hasn't the wits to get his heart going in the morning, let alone blood to his alleged 'brain'.

Has anyone noticed how both Bush and Augustus used the media of their times to portray themselves as the defender of traditional values while all the while ushering in radical changes? Just look at the Ara Pacis and the Aeneid, Augustan propaganda that paint Octavian fully in line with cherished Roman "mores." Then Bush's use of Evangelical Protestantism and flag waving to cover the fact that his agenda is one of the most radical in US history, e.g. his refusal to obey laws enacted by Congress.

From the Boston Globe:

WASHINGTON -- President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Link: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...ndreds_of_laws/

N.B. Both the Ara Pacis and the Aeneid are both milestones of human achievement. Nonetheless, their reason for being was to promote Octavian's political agena: the end of the Republic.

Alright, you Bush bashing outlaws. First, you need to mention the Boston Globe is a newspaper for hippies, read only by far left liberals.

Second, Augustus was probably the best Roman emperor, well known for his effective reforms, so you are actually complementing Bush and his reform agenda, and I thank you for that.

Third, in wartime and especially since we're fighting a hidden enemy that abides by no rules, it is the presidents responsibility to take drastic actions and protect U.S. citizens in their country. The war on terror will be won through intelligence and a preemptive policy, secrecy is your best asset. I would much rather have a republican in office, than have a Liberal freak that prefers to negotaite and smooth talk with terrorist thugs.

Edited by tflex

Funny... I can't remember terrorists being this active before the Bush administration's "War on Terror". Far from being safer, we're now in even more peril. Thanks a lot, Bush, you asshole.

Interesting...You compare the worlds greatest politician against G.W. Bush. WAYYYYYY off mark! All administrations use media..

Tflex..You have issues

Funny... I can't remember terrorists being this active before the Bush administration's "War on Terror". Far from being safer, we're now in even more peril. Thanks a lot, Bush, you asshole.

They were going out on an agenda to destroy America anyways. What's the Democratic way of solving it? Clearly if John Myrtha, a Democrat, was president we'd been long gone from history.

Remember Reagan? He decided to spend money on national defense, something those Democrats don't do, and spent money on a missile disabler. Now with the nuclear strikes from North Korea a certain over criticising party went quiet.

Seriously some of these Democrats out there are way out of line. It's time to face reality, you can't annex Canada and disband the entire U.S.A army. Or maybe we should pull out of Iraq all together and give it back to unstable, uncivilized, people who randomly shoot bullets in the air. Muslim Brotherhood takes office and no rational thinking.

These people will do anything to destroy America and they must be stopped. Then again the Middle East should go on persecuting some more people because they are 'disturbed.' Cutting off people's heads and killing people for wearing shorts. And you Democrats complain about Guantanamo Bay. :)