UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Augustus And Bush

Ludovicus

the last 6 years show in vivid detail their consideable influence. I've known the cost of gas since the early 90s, and from then to 2000 the price of gas raised at most 30-50 cents. In a few years time it has jumped almost $2. That is deliberate price gouging at the cost of the entire nation, and by extention the world. THAT is power.

There is a much simpler explanation for the increase in gasoline prices--surging demand in a nation of a billion people (China). As Chinese demand for gas increases, prices will increase until the supply satisfies the demand. More generally, you can't assume that the only reason that prices rise is due to the supplier's whim: you have to look at the whole equation.

I am firmly convinced that the technology for electric automobiles is existant, and I am firmly convinced it does not get a chance to get out by deliberate suppression.

No doubt suppressed by the same people who are hiding the truth about UFOs, Bigfoot, and Ethanol (shucks, where is Fox Mulder when you need him?). Seriously, though, electric cars would pose no threat to the oil industry. Most domestic electricity is produced by burning oil, so the oil companies would have very little motivation to engineer a vast conspiracy to suppress the production of another product that finds use for their product. Moreover, if the electric car were really such a great product, why would the ailing car companies not jump at the chance to revive their flagging sales by means of such a product?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't possibly compare Augustus to Bush, Augustus was a genius... what can one say about Bush?? Gosh I should just refrain myself. Augustus was an asset to Rome and their empire,infact as many people are saying and have said he was probably the greatest emperor.

Bush gets involved in things he doesn't even know about, one can argue to the contrary but his actions speak for themselves. Before you get mixed in other country's problems and issues and politics, shouldn't you attempt to sort out your own???? There are so many people in America that could benefit from him actually focusing on the nation instead of looking globally. He wants fame of some sort, a son following in his fathers footsteps, he wants recognision, we doesn't he earn that inside his country first before he earns it creating wars outside??

There is a much simpler explanation for the increase in gasoline prices--surging demand in a nation of a billion people (China). As Chinese demand for gas increases, prices will increase until the supply satisfies the demand. More generally, you can't assume that the only reason that prices rise is due to the supplier's whim: you have to look at the whole equation.

We recently reviewed a list of countries, which supply oil to the United States. A vast majority comes from around home, and yet you would have me believe that Chinese oil gained from Southeast Asia and the Middle East influences our prices? Really, all I need to do is point out the incredible profits made by the oil empires to prove my price gouging point. If oil was so scarce, should they not be hurting?

This is the problem with allowing public control of a natural resource: it gets gouged. Now when you have the government in the hands of the same companies you make a bad situation even worse. They're an oligarchy. They cooperate so they all can reap in the rewards, and people like you buy into it. The execs walk away with billions, you and I begin to take our bike to work.

No doubt suppressed by the same people who are hiding the truth about UFOs, Bigfoot, and Ethanol (shucks, where is Fox Mulder when you need him?). Seriously, though, electric cars would pose no threat to the oil industry. Most domestic electricity is produced by burning oil, so the oil companies would have very little motivation to engineer a vast conspiracy to suppress the production of another product that finds use for their product. Moreover, if the electric car were really such a great product, why would the ailing car companies not jump at the chance to revive their flagging sales by means of such a product?

Ya, I agree a lot of conspiracy nuts out there. 1000 times more folks out there who gullibly believe everything they are told and think everyone plays by the rules like good folk and there isn't a corrupt soul in the world, particularly if they are businessmen. For some capitalism is like a religion that can't go wrong.

Clearly, automobile consumption takes a huge chunk of the use of oil, enough to do something about it. There are many facets to such a thing. For instance China as you say is a busting new market for oil use and automobiles. That's a huge profit to be made so long as they keep consuming oil, but what if electric cars were not difficult to make? Surely a pollution ridden country like China would do what it could to launch into the modern age on the right foot? Make electric cars mandatory?

Why should the car companies cooperate? Plenty of plastics go into cars, oils as well. A steep rise in the price of gas and all of these has an effect on vehicle purchases. It is easy to see how both industries must cooperate to survive and prosper. Oil has every bit to do with auto companies just like paper production companies would have plenty to do with logging and paper recycling.

wasnt Augustus taller than Bush?

Bit off topic but it looks like Israel's going to be knocking heads with the major middle eastern countries in a while, it could get very messy very soon for all of us if Iran takes Israel on.I dont think the British army is capable of commiting any more troops, with soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq the Army's overstretched as it is (according to ITV news).If British troops are needed for this new war (if it happens) they'll have to pull them out of there current tasks.

L

Longbow, this is the Arena, I don't think you really can go off topic. But, I'm very glad you brought that up. Somebody needed to somewhere finally. I don't think this is a minor spat in the making. We may be witnessing the eve of some major $h*t...

Ah crap... I'm not supposed to be in here! :ph34r:

Edited by Pantagathus

NOT A REPLY AS PART OF THE DISCUSSION BUT AS AN ADMINISTRATIVE INTERJECTION

This forum is here to let people air their opinions in whatever form that may take. If antagonism spills over into the regular part of the forum than we will have to assume that the experiment is a failure. What is said in this forum stays in this forum. If individuals are not able to separate one discussion from another than individuals should probably not join the discussions in this forum.

Again, we do not wish to censor or discourage frank discussion, but the tone of an argument and the manner its conducted can be respectable even if laden with disagreement.

Thanks all

Germanicus, Moonlapse, Viggen, P.P.:

Send this to Hades. I'm getting on my own nerves and it goes nowhere.

:ph34r:

My my...you've proven my point. Such topics like this turn evoke extreme arrogance out of people and into barking mad dogs...(no disrespect)...

Anyways...you can't compare someone from the past with the modern who live in very different situations.

Also...you don't even know Bush and Augustus in a personal manner...can't go calling them things that don't reflect a well-mannered human being.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

You know... if there ever were to be a huge UNRV convention, I think that once a few people got drunk, all hell would break loose and a brawl would ensue... probably with some re-enactment weapons.

I would probably participate.

I like how you think Moonlapse. But what factions would we seperate into?

That's a good question... I don't think you can really split the factions along a Democrat/Republican line, since there really is no line. Rather, you'd have the unquestioning followers fighting the my-own-opinion people, with some deranged maniacs thrown in to make things truly chaotic.

You know... if there ever were to be a huge UNRV convention, I think that once a few people got drunk, all hell would break loose and a brawl would ensue... probably with some re-enactment weapons.

I would probably participate.

You know Moonlapse I still have my old Crossman pellet gun and with a few beverages and a nice quiet pond with docile ducks and geese I could probably be persuaded to display my skill at missing harmless creatures 3 feet in front of me.

Some striking similarities

Bush doesnt wear a toga... and Augustus was not from Texas...

To get to my point is - imo there are no similarities...

(and i would be suprised if Bush gets one day deified)