UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Medicine

Pertinax

Are the 'libidinous humors' enhanced by ingesting ground rhinoceros horn?

Tut tut, Pliny advises to use the "Xiphion" (or at least its aerial parts) (Iris graminea)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...ficial%26sa%3DG

Crethmos -wild Nard! Of which we have spoken.

"The following substances act as aphrodisiacs--the flesh of river-snails, preserved in salt and given to drink in wine; the erythinus taken as food; the liver of the frog called "diopetes" or "calamites" attached to the body in a small piece of crane's skin; the eye-tooth of a crocodile, attached to the arm; the hippocampus; and the sinews of a bramble-frog, worn as an amulet upon the right arm. A bramble-frog, attached to the body in a piece of fresh sheep-skin, effectually puts an end to love".

just be careful where you stick that crane's skin.

however Pliny wishes us all to restrain our ardour thus:

"Nymphea heraclia (White water lily), acts most powerfully as an ant aphrodisiac; the same too if taken once every forty days in drink. Taken in drink fasting, or eaten with the food, it effectually prevents the recurrence of libidinous dreams. The root too, used in the form of a liniment and applied to the generative organs, not only represses all prurient desires, but arrests the seminal secretions as well; for which reason, it is said to have a tendency to make flesh and to improve the voice".

Isn't that the same Julia who was eventually exiled by Augustus for her ungovernable sexual appetites?

No, AD - the Julia in question refers to Livia. Post-adoption (post Gus's death) she was known as Julia Augusta, and would have been referred to as such by Pliny. This reference to her daily elecampane is also cited by Barrett in his biography.

I knew it:

"The right lobe of a vulture's lungs, attached to the body in the skin of a crane, acts powerfully as a stimulant upon males: an effect equally produced by taking the yolks of five pigeons' eggs, in honey, mixed with one denarius of hog's lard; sparrows, or eggs of sparrows, with the food; or by wearing the right testicle of a cock, attached to the body in a ram's skin".

Pliny NH ch 49

"a singular thing, too, is what is told about the ashes of a spotted lizard--if indeed it is true--to the effect that, wrapped in linen and held in the left hand, they act as an aphrodisiac, while, on the contrary, if they are transferred to the right, they will take effect as an antaphrodisiac."

Therefore be careful with that lizard ash , dont just pick it up off the bathroom table without thinking.

Back to toothbrushes, I know many of you await with bated breath any information on how Titus Pullo took care of his dentition. Here are some hints of what might have been used, the source is a later Islamic work (often the route by which Greek and Roman medicinal works have survived , or been quoted and reinterpreted) :

the modern text is "Natural Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet" , a reinterprative guide to excerpts from "The Book of the Provisions of the Hereafter" by Iman Ibn Qayylm Al-Jawzlyya (1292-1350 CE). [id like to thank Fahim Allam for this kind gift :ph34r: ].

Ibn Qayylm has a section on "flossing" , and he names several plants as being of benefit to dental health, I suggest that these notes give a hint as to the folkloric wisdom of the African and Eastern provinces:

"best when using a (small) branch of an unpollinated female date tree , a milfoil tree, (Yarrow once again friends, the Roman wound salve used abundantly , also called The Centurions Herb)

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=217

a Zakkoum oil tree (elaeagnus angustifolia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus

among others"

So could it be that Yarrow was Pullo's toothbrush? Its common enough and was well known for its healing properties.

Back to toothbrushes, I know many of you await with bated breath any information on how Titus Pullo took care of his dentition. Here are some hints of what might have been used, the source is a later Islamic work (often the route by which Greek and Roman medicinal works have survived , or been quoted and reinterpreted) :

the modern text is "Natural Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet" , a reinterprative guide to excerpts from "The Book of the Provisions of the Hereafter" by Iman Ibn Qayylm Al-Jawzlyya (1292-1350 CE). [id like to thank Fahim Allam for this kind gift :lol: ].

Ibn Qayylm has a section on "flossing" , and he names several plants as being of benefit to dental health, I suggest that these notes give a hint as to the folkloric wisdom of the African and Eastern provinces:

"best when using a (small) branch of an unpollinated female date tree , a milfoil tree, (Yarrow once again friends, the Roman wound salve used abundantly , also called The Centurions Herb)

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=217

a Zakkoum oil tree (elaeagnus angustifolia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus

among others"

So could it be that Yarrow was Pullo's toothbrush? Its common enough and was well known for its healing properties.

Chewing gum is also a very good idea, as I believe some people on the other side of the Atlantic have rediscovered in recent years. The preferred Mediterranean chewing gum is not chicle but mastic (I mean, natural mastic, not the kind you buy in a tube at do-it-yourself shops). It tastes good once you get used to it.

Mastic also has the virtue of destroying Campylobacter pylori bacteria:

http://www.emedicine.com/med/byname/campyl...-infections.htm

So this would be a virtuous activity. The Island of Chios being the epicentre of Mastic as a medicinal aid.

While on medicine, it is apparaent that rome was an advanced superpower, and would have been heavily engaged in preserving its asset and advancing it. Most of Rome's advancement was directed at advancing its power of might and greater success in holding on to that power, while this benefited the communites by default.

However, the introduction of medicine, as a science, was introduced in the OT. Here we find the first recording of a malignancy and contagious deseases (Leprosy), its ID and treatment, and also its seperation from the occult. Islam got it from the Hebrews via the pre-islamic arabs, babylonians (Iraq) and persians (Iran), and the Greeks were the first western peoples to translate the OT, passing this knowledge onto Rome, then Europe. Science itself comes from the OT, with the first recording of evolution in Genesis 1/1. The first scientific equation is:

'A SEED SHALL FOLLOW ITS OWN KIND'.

Modern history and thought began that way, with Europe being the world's great educaters and spreaders of knowledge.

Edited by IamJoseph

Science itself comes from the OT, with the first recording of evolution in Genesis 1/1. The first scientific equation is:

'A SEED SHALL FOLLOW ITS OWN KIND'.

Modern history and thought began that way, with Europe being the world's great educaters and spreaders of knowledge.

You are seriously losing credibility :ph34r::lol::D

Caught a History Channel documentary about Carthage last night. It claimed that a Carthaginian ship was found a while back with a great amount of cannabis in it. This was alleged to have been used to calm the rowers. Same for the Roman Navy and other ancient navies?

Caught a History Channel documentary about Carthage last night. It claimed that a Carthaginian ship was found a while back with a great amount of cannabis in it. This was alleged to have been used to calm the rowers. Same for the Roman Navy and other ancient navies?

GO can you give me a link for this at all? I would have expected Datura stramonium as the likeliest N African recreational relaxant .

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=180

GO can you give me a link for this at all? I would have expected Datura stramonium as the likeliest N African recreational relaxant .

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=180

Yes, I'd like more on that. In what form was the cannabis discovered? You can make ropes from this species, as well as smoke it ...

It doesn't mean they smoked it. A cargo destined for medecinal use? How do they know it was used to calm the sailors? Seems a bit strange, because rowers and lookouts aren't going to give their best if they're feeling overly relaxed! There's no supportive evidence as far as I'm aware for drug use aboard roman vessels.