UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Why Do You Like Rome?

This is my first post on this board and I figured that this would be a good subject to start with...

Honestly I cannot pin-point a moment which definitively marked my fascination with the people of Rome, but for me it's everything about their culture, specifically their militaristic protocol that appeals to me. The first highly trained and rigidly sanctioned national military that evolved so much from Rome's conception to it's death. Everything from Rome's military escapades down to the daily life in Rome for your average Joe-ilicus.

The fact that there was always so much internal strife while trying to maintain a strong outward visage, it still amuses me to no end that so many cultures or political parties/powers in history have taken symbols or created images that resemble the power Rome commanded, yet how fragile the Roman culture was socioeconomic ally.

I enjoy reading Roman history, specifically authors of the period (Tacitus, Livy, Titus, etc.), because so much of the human character is brought out through the historical documents of man. Livy specifically captures that human element and drama that existed between rivals externally (Hannibal and Scipio [the elder]) and internally (Fabius Maximus and Minucius Rufus) in The History of Rome books XXI - XXX. This kind of human element is always prevalent throughout the Roman years. It truly was a drama with a myriad of personalities throughout its years.

-Diocles

P.S.

Hey Everybody ;)

Edited by Diocles

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first post on this board and I figured that this would be a good subject to start with...

Honestly I cannot pin-point a moment which definitively marked my fascination with the people of Rome, but for me it's everything about their culture, specifically their militaristic protocol that appeals to me. The first highly trained and rigidly sanctioned national military that evolved so much from Rome's conception to it's death. Everything from Rome's military escapades down to the daily life in Rome for your average Joe-ilicus.

The fact that there was always so much internal strife while trying to maintain a strong outward visage, it still amuses me to no end that so many cultures or political parties/powers in history have taken symbols or created images that resemble the power Rome commanded, yet how fragile the Roman culture was socioeconomic ally.

I enjoy reading Roman history, specifically authors of the period (Tacitus, Livy, Titus, etc.), because so much of the human character is brought out through the historical documents of man. Livy specifically captures that human element and drama that existed between rivals externally (Hannibal and Scipio [the elder]) and internally (Fabius Maximus and Minucius Rufus) in The History of Rome books XXI - XXX. This kind of human element is always prevalent throughout the Roman years. It truly was a drama with a myriad of personalities throughout its years.

-Diocles

P.S.

Hey Everybody ;)

What an eloquent first post, Diocles! Welcome to UNRV! Looking forward to reading more of your postings!

-- Nephele

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to say it, but my new-found interest in Rome stems entirely from my love for computer games. I had recently picked up a copy of Caesar IV at my local department store. In the game, Caesar gives you governorship of a new province & you are expected to build a prosperous city for the Empire. You must provide housing, commerce, entertainment, religion, & protection from invaders. Periodically Caesar will demand tribute in the form of denarii, goods, or legions. I played this game for hours and became interested in learning about the real-world counterpart.

I then began my search for books & web sites that could fuel my need for knowledge. My surfing led me here where I am learning new things every day. Just the scope of how influential Rome was to the history of the world is mind-boggling. You can find some remnant of Roman culture in just about every aspect of everday life. Someday I'll get there, too, & see the real thing :).

Here's what I wrote in the introduction of my first Roman Mysteries Quiz Book. It's for kids, but it's true!

I write mysteries set in ancient Roman times. In my books, I have created four young children who are detectives. As a writer of historical fiction, I am a detective, too. Artefacts are my clues and the primary sources are my witnesses. They help me solve the mystery of What It Was Like To Live In Roman Times.

Artefacts are the things that people used in past times. In Latin, the word artefact means something made by skill. Artefacts reveal the sight and feel and smell and sound of the ancient world. The Pompeian fresco of a forlorn little boy, for example, shows what one Roman child looked like. A clay oil-lamp from Roman Egypt gives a spooky light from its smoky flame. The silky smooth beeswax on a replica wax tablet smells like honey, and if you push too hard with the bronze stylus you can hear the wood crunch underneath. A sponge-stick would have smelled like vinegar and poo, because when it wasn't being used as ancient toilet paper, it was probably sitting in a beaker of vinegar.

The people who lived in Roman times died long ago, but they can still bear witness to what it was like back then. They testify through the primary sources, the things written in ancient times. From tombstones we learned that parents grieved the death of a two-year-old just as much as we do today, even though in those days most children died before the age of three. From poetry we learn that young men burned with passionate love, just as young men and women still do today. From shopping lists we learn that Romans got cold feet sometimes and wore socks under their sandals. From their philosophical writings we know the ancient Romans wondered about the meaning and purpose of life, just as we still do. Romans could be pompous, funny, sarcastic, sincere, boring, exciting, superstitious and sceptical. Just like us.

They chewed gum, used toothpicks, dyed their hair and had indoor plumbing. Just like us. They crucified runaway slaves, gave their twelve-year-old daughters to be married and watched men kill each other for amusement. Not so much like us.

This is the puzzle that fascinates me the most. As I read the primary sources, play with the artefacts and write my books, this is the real Mystery I am trying to solve: how were the Romans like us, and how were they not like us?

And that will never cease to fascinate me.

Flavia

P.S. Thanks for all who have given me such a warm welcome! ;)

Edited by Flavia Gemina

As an adult, my interest was piqued (an interest that turned into a fascination) when I was in the Air Force, stationed in Germany. I was making awkward small talk with a snarky German taxi driver, and happened to ask him what he thought about all these Americans in his country on the Army Posts and Air Force Bases. He shrugged, motioned over his shoulder to the Rhine River (this was in Cologne), and said something to the effect of "and before you, the Romans. And they even built us a bridge."

I guess I had an "epiphany" right then; when I got back to base, I went straight to the base library and checked out a book on Roman warfare called "The Conquest of Gaul" by this fellow Julius. I've been a Romanophile ever since.

I should mention that as a child the seed was probably planted early for such a development: my elementary school, under the guise of "an historical re-enactment," put on an Easter play in which I got to play one of the Roman soldiers at the scene of Jesus Christ's crucifixion*. I understood that the Romans were supposed to be the bad guys, but I just couldn't help notice that my character, as well as that of my fellow soldiers, got to wear the coolest clothes, tote swords around, swagger about like badasses, and play with dice! Everyone else (except the kid who played Pilate, of course) dressed like a bum, and was either enraged, weepy, or about to get nailed to a cross. No fun!

Like St. Augustine, I decided there was time for salvation later; at that moment I was content to be in the Roman's camp, with all the other cool kids. ;)

(*Yes, I realize such a play would probably bring a half-dozen "church-state separation" lawsuits today; no, I'm not interested in debating, either pro or con, whether my public elementary school should have put such a play on in the first place; yes, I have had this discussion in a web forum before and it turned real ugly on me real quick. Sorry for the snark, but the disclaimer had to be made.)

This thread seems like a good place to start posting.

For as long as I remember I've always had an interest in polytheism. Obviously this led me to look at Roman and Greek cultures. I then realised that the actual history was far more interesting than the gods.

Quite simply, I love the characters. I love the ones I love, I love the ones I hate. They are all so colourful and unique, from Marius to Nero. My favourite era is the Late Republic and early Principate.

I also happened to be, sadly, the last student in my school to study Latin and Ancient History. A pity that many schools in the UK feel they no longer have a place in the curriculum. The downfall of education here I'd say. But I plan to continue with them.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was old enough to read, and comprehend what I was reading, my father had me read the unabridged 'Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire'. I was hooked.

I have been fortunate ever since over the last thirty years to sit many evenings with my father and discuss Rome and her people, and the 'dream that was Rome'.

Ave Pater Mia!

Alex

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are deeply interested in Roman history.

My question is: What got you interested in Roman history? Why do you like it? What fascinates you?

I like ancient Rome because, in many ways, we are still romans. Understanding our roots is understanding ourselves.

• 1 month later...
There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are deeply interested in Roman history.

My question is: What got you interested in Roman history? Why do you like it? What fascinates you?

Awesome, fascinating military, devious politicians (Sejanus), an epic history, and for some reason it seems Rome experienced way more unpredictable, twisted events than other ancient civilizations.

Awesome, fascinating military, devious politicians (Sejanus), an epic history, and for some reason it seems Rome experienced way more unpredictable, twisted events than other ancient civilizations.

Unpredictable eh?

vtc

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's the qualities I find to admire, and as the prime model for western civilization.

And I find the same qualities in their top leaders: Their genius for these things: organization, management, engineering, art, architecture, military acumen, government, law, their stoicism, tolerance for all religions (as long as those religions did not practice intolerance), their staying power, common sense, and farsightedness, the beauty of their language, and much, much more.

In many ways the affects of Rome survive today, and its fall continues even now it seems to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I find it difficult to fathom why people do not[/d] like Rome.

OK, so perhaps I'm biased. I'm Italian, so the Roman Empire has always been a part of our culture and history for my family.

One day, in third grade, I went to the library with my father, and he gave me a book on the history of Italy. I began reading, and became fascinated with the history of the Roman Empire.

The fact that my father is a history enthusiast doesn't hurt either, and always loves to tell me the glories of Italy...and especially of Ancient Rome.

But I especially love Rome because Western Civilization today is so based on it, and it's difficult to imagine a world without it.

Lately I've been getting angry with how people have played down the impact of Roman civilization. Even the history books in my AP class hardly mention Rome at all, and dismiss it.

• 2 weeks later...

Answer to: Why do you like Rome:

Honestly, I find it difficult to fathom why people do not[/d] like Rome.

OK, so perhaps I'm biased. I'm Italian, so the Roman Empire has always been a part of our culture and history for my family.

One day, in third grade, I went to the library with my father, and he gave me a book on the history of Italy. I began reading, and became fascinated with the history of the Roman Empire.

The fact that my father is a history enthusiast doesn't hurt either, and always loves to tell me the glories of Italy...and especially of Ancient Rome.

But I especially love Rome because Western Civilization today is so based on it, and it's difficult to imagine a world without it.

Lately I've been getting angry with how people have played down the impact of Roman civilization. Even the history books in my AP class hardly mention Rome at all, and dismiss it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Salve RomanItaly,

I feel the same emotional attachment, and this has caused me to somewhat disdain the Greeks, because they seem to get all the credit. I think it's (partly) because of the generational thing, and, too, because of the channeling of their genius into things popular in today's society in this country, and the adolescence(?) juvenility(?) of it.

It is easiest for me to summarize it as a generational proposition: I think it goes something like this: The son (I use male because the male struggle for status is different from the female, and the line of power in societies is usually patriarchal more than matriarchal), again the son, when he is a juvenile or adolescent rejects his Father while more respecting his Grandfather. This is in part the importance of the grandfather (and grand mother) in human societies. America is an adolescent/juvenile society, and rejects the father, Rome, and transfers its respect more to the grandfather Greece.

When speaking of America, I am not speaking of actual youths, but those who are able to shape opinions(with clamor, and noise). They admire the seemingly liberal (democracy/egalitarianism) of Greece, and somewhat despise the conservative (republic/diluted electoral participation) of Rome.

Conservatism is "keeping" and "holding onto that which is

Edited by Faustus