UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
TwoMinutesHate

Why Do You Like Rome?

Lincoln - Roman Lindum Colonia.

I was lucky - I had an amazing Cathedral - the most dramatic in the UK for position - a Norman castle and the only Roman arch still to straddle a main road in the country, all within 100 yards or so of my front door.

Phil

I've always had a slight interest in History, but I didn't have fondness for Rome until two years ago when I did an A-level in Ancient History: I chose it over contemporary History because I was bored of Hitler (there's more to the 20th Century than a man with a funny moustache!!!). My interest in the subject was so great that I now doing a degree in Ancient History and Archaeology.

It would be interesting to investigate all the legends that may yet remain about the Roman occupation of Britain or any other colony for that matter. I suppose this has been done. Anyone know any sources?

The greatness of the empire with the determined and heroic republicans and the powerfull but human emperors fascinated my as a child. Later I fell in love with the roman mosaics, but also with Classical and Hellenistic Greece and Byzantium periods that I never separate from Rome.

I'm interested in many aspects of history, but Rome it's my dearest.

I think that Rome still has many things to teach us. They made some of the mistakes we make and did better in other aspects.

I must admit I'm slightly influenced by a political aspect. The system of law our country follows is Roman-Dutch law.

My legal studies merely rekindled my admiration and interest in the Roman Empire

So, when I learn more about Rome, I don't believe that it is a system that is 'dead'. I believe that the Roman idea is still alive and this is clearly evident in our law...even though the spirit at work is somewhat different.

Edited by Lex

You know, I feel slightly embarrassed now that I know a lot about Roman history, but the reason I first became interested in Rome was because I read Conn Iggulden's book, Emperor: The Gates of Rome. I was finding a book to read in a small store so I could pass the time at a Model UN meeting and I've been in love ever since. Thanks to Roman Legion, a text - based RPG online ( I couldn't resist that plug) I've learned so much more and have delved much deeper into the details of all aspects of the Roman early principate. The Republic fascinates me still, though I must admit I don't know as much about it. Rome will continue to fascinate me, it's the main reason I'm pursuing my Bachelor

It started in 6th grade when we watched a long boring video. I really didn't care. Over the years tidbits supplemented my super-basic knowledge about the empire. Last year, however, I did my National History Day project on the might of the Roman Legions, and finally came to appreciate the society. After watching documentaries and reading many a book, I am to the point that I will appreciate this knowledge for the rest of my life and will continue reading about the Roman Empire. God, I'm only 16...

PVarro, "You know, I feel slightly embarrassed now that I know a lot about Roman history" That is not necessary, knowledge is a great thing.

The thing that fascinates me is how Rome went from a small city to rule the world because of its laws, technology, and ingenuity when it came to war.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

PVarro, "You know, I feel slightly embarrassed now that I know a lot about Roman history" That is not necessary, knowledge is a great thing.

I think what he meant was that now he knows about Roman history, he is embarressed that it was the book Emperor the Gates of Rome or whatever that started his interest. I assume that this book was unhistorical, but I don't know because I have never read it.

Yes Primus Pilus, I must say that the book is fairly unhistorical. And I didn't realize it until I began studying Roman history. But I am glad that something like that could kindle an interest in me that's lasted for years now.

And Lex, what country is it that you live in? I know that Roman law philosophy has influenced many western countries, but I wasn't aware that it had such a direct influence on any countries.

And Lex, what country is it that you live in? I know that Roman law philosophy has influenced many western countries, but I wasn't aware that it had such a direct influence on any countries.

South Africa. Our system of law is still one of the most "Roman" in the world. The reason for this is that when the Dutch settled in the Cape in 1652 they brought with them their legal system which was a Dutch interpretation of Roman Law. The influence of Roman Law in Europe was unfortunately mostly diminished by the

Edited by Lex

It started in 6th grade when we watched a long boring video.

You too? I remember sitting in 6th grade history class watching one of those token educational films on ancient history. But whereas the rest of the class seemed bored out of their skulls, I was quite enamored with the wooden actors dressed in their costumes as Consuls, displaying suitably somber expressions for Republican magistrates. It was my first taste (such as it was) to Rome's imperial grandeur, and I was hooked.

Of course, even before then I was hooked on Greco-Roman mythology....

It started in 6th grade when we watched a long boring video.

You too? I remember sitting in 6th grade history class watching one of those token educational films on ancient history. But whereas the rest of the class seemed bored out of their skulls, I was quite enamored with the wooden actors dressed in their costumes as Consuls, displaying suitably somber expressions for Republican magistrates. It was my first taste (such as it was) to Rome's imperial grandeur, and I was hooked.

Of course, even before then I was hooked on Greco-Roman mythology....

Lucky, I don't even think we had that... all I remember was pictures of ruins with dissolve transitions between them. It was boring because it really wasn't well made. The next day we had a substitute and watched it again... reading the textbook was actually more enjoyable and I loved the maps in them.

O and sorry PVarro, I misinterpreted your post... hehe.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

ave,

i know this sounds really sad B) ,

but i think i can blame my obsession on "Rome: Total War."

sad huh :D .

good game though, played far to much of it during classes, sevearly cuting my chances

of getting into the course i want to do at melbourne uni :( .

so know i am working my behind off trying to catc up.

Davus Parker

I don't think it sad. Though Rome Total War is unhistorical in many, many ways (thats why I recomend R:TR), it is still a fun game. Ofcourse, it shouldn't get in the way of schoolwork.

Guest thethird

Well, when I was in Prep school we were forced to do Latin [cue understatement of the year] which I hated immensely. Luckily we had the most amazing teacher that I've had to date. He dedicated 3 hours a week to the study of Ancient Rome and just made it come alive and magical for me. Later on in life i read Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series and I was hooked. The love, loss, betrayal, adventure, drama, structure, discipline and all around civilisation of Ancient Rome has gotten me hooked. There will never be anything quite like it.

III.