UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
TwoMinutesHate

Why Do You Like Rome?

I was taking high school Latin class and discovered that I have absolutely no talent for language. So to keep my grade up i decided to take a look at the history of the people that spoke the language and became obsessed with Rome. I found the level of cultural, governmental, and technological advancement fascinating.

Guest pinghui

everything about it fascinated me. Before learning about it's people, politics, and especially its architecture, i thought China was better.

im still not sure which is though....

As most people of Western heritage I have in Rome quite a parent: murderous, proud, scientific, democratic, imperial, litterate, parasitic, forward thinking, industrious, decadent, inventive, pagan, Christian, benevolent, and cruel. Despite all, she's my parent. If I am to know anything about myself I will have to study her.

In Roman history some of the greatest idiots of all time can be found which makes for a good laugh, but at the same time, it took highly admirable genius to hold the empire together and to carve the thing out in the first place.

Then there is always that strangely inspirational vision of men cloaked in red marching in columns that go far past the curve of the land I get whenever someone mentions "legionary"

...I guess it's not just if love it or not but also how much you hate it :)

As most people of Western heritage I have in Rome quite a parent: murderous, proud, scientific, democratic, imperial, litterate, parasitic, forward thinking, industrious, decadent, inventive, pagan, Christian, benevolent, and cruel. Despite all, she's my parent. If I am to know anything about myself I will have to study her.

Basically, the same thing for me. It's all about understanding better our identity through history.

For me I think it's the fact that they were so ahead of their time technologically and as a society in general. You appreciate all that classical Rome brought to the table when you look at where society in Europe went in the Dark Ages. I also love ruins and they built so much that there is just a plethora of Roman ruins across the Mediterranean world.

First off hello, as this is my first post. I must admit that my interest in the history of Rome and this time period has just begun and was pollinated by the fabulous HBO series, of which I am currently addicted and awaiting the second season to end and be available on DVD (as I don't watch television). With my lack of knowledge being put forth...

Rome or the history there of appears as a shining example if not the must glorious example of the hero's journey; that which all mythology teaches and that which we all strive to live our life by. Most if not all societies follow the path of the hero: journey, attainment, return/death. So far in my learning it seems as if Rome was to be the archaic world's billboard for this, for all to learn from; the story being told on every level of Roman life and culminating to become its own final product. I'm interested in how my view of this huge expanse of time changes as I learn more.

On that note... I'm struggling to find a general history of Rome in text; something that starts out early enough to allow me to grasp the references of early times found in later periods, yet not too concise as to lose the scope of progress. My knowledge of the time started with that of the HBO series, in the end of the last century BC. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I like Rome, especially Late Republican period for mainly two reasons.

First, I am fascinated by the weird mixture of something so familiar (like election, law courts, and even name of months) and yet so foreign and violent (like proscription, games, and corrupt emperors). Especially with their politics, combination of polite civility and unbelievable violence is quite shocking.

Another reason is that this period comes down to us so vividly through various sources (especially letters). The Greek civilization is so much more accomplished and imaginative, and if we can get to know them better, no doubt more fascinating. But compared to Romans, they seem rather far away and distant, and maybe in too idealized picture like their statues.

But with Romans, we see wrinkles and warts and all.

On that note... I'm struggling to find a general history of Rome in text; something that starts out early enough to allow me to grasp the references of early times found in later periods, yet not too concise as to lose the scope of progress. My knowledge of the time started with that of the HBO series, in the end of the last century BC. Any suggestions?

There are many quality works and historians, but I am particularly fond of Michael Grant's works as introductory materials. His style is engaging and is generally well received by both scholars and laymen. Grant won't reveal some ground breaking thesis, but that's not his objective, and it's generally perfect for someone trying to get their feet wet.

History of Rome

There are many quality works and historians, but I am particularly fond of Michael Grant's works as introductory materials. His style is engaging and is generally well received by both scholars and laymen. Grant won't reveal some ground breaking thesis, but that's not his objective, and it's generally perfect for someone trying to get their feet wet.

History of Rome

Thanks for the recommendation; it has received great reviews elsewhere as well. Knowledge isn't cheap however!

I was born very near to Chester, what was the Roman city of Deva in the province of Britannia. As a kid I can remember going on the 'Roman Tour' several times. That sort of sparked the initial interest, and ever since Roman history has been a part of my casual interests.

I'm not exactly sure which came first though, the interest in Rome or Greek mythology, which was another interest of my childhood.

:lol:

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are deeply interested in Roman history.

My question is: What got you interested in Roman history? Why do you like it? What fascinates you?

For me it's just a fascinating time in European history that i find very interesting. I also like many PC games that have Rome in the games which i play and enjoy. I also enjoy watching Rome on Hbo and also the history channel. Soon i will buy some new books on rome instead of reading roman history on the net.......

Despite the brutality and cruelty that pervaded Ancient Roman Society, there was also a glowing humanity that still shines through the mists of time.

In ancient Roman history, there were many acts of friendship, self-sacrifice, loyalty, and love that are known to us today.

Edited by guy