UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rameses the Great

Greek Flamethrower

As long as there has been innovative technology there has been the Hellenistic empire of Greece. I saw on the history channel they were able to make a handheld flamethrower. Napha would combine with something to produce fire. Can you imagine how deadly that could be?

Anymore information on this? Since online and books seem to lack any real knowledge on this. How Rome was able to conquer Greece, is beyond me. If only they applied all of that stuff on the battle field before it was too late.

Edited by Rameses the Great

I don't know about a flamethrower in ancient greece, but this technology was applied in Rome; but when it was applied was in the later Eastern (Byzantine) Empire. Greek fire was a particularly horrific weapon; it could burn on and under water, and could not be extinguished easily. Water actually helped to fuel the flame.

Greek fire is said to have been invented by a Syrian Christian refugee named Kallinikos of Heliopolis, around roughly 673 AD. It is also said that he gained the knowledge from the alchemists of Alexandria about its composition. It is not much of a surprise, then, that Greek fire was used to great effect by the Byzantine Navy; a notable battle when it was used extremely effectively was the Battle of Syllaeum.

The formula of Greek Fire was of course a secret carefully guarded by the Byzantines; speculators believe some ingredients might be naptha, niter, sulfur, petroleum, quicklime, phosphorus and saltpeter.

Edited by Tobias

My friend and I speculated that Greek Fire was comprised of some sort of pitch, sulphur, and white phosphorus. We have no idea really though. (who does?)

I can't imagine how anyone would want to come up against them with that stuff...and I'm surprised they did not use it more often. Of course, it was just as dangerous to the ones using it as it was to their enemies, which could be the reason it didn't see much use (that and the fact that not many knew the forumula).

If someone discovered the exact compositions and ingrediants of Greek Fire today, we would have a new Weapon Of Mass Destruction...that in my view is how deadly it is since technological advancements are endless...Greek Fire will be manipulated easily.

However, that's not to say that there aren't deadlier or better forms/weapons today that is the equivalent of Greek Fire in the past.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Greek fire was the shock weapon of the Byzantines; it was almost a weapon of mass destruction. Greek fire can be said to have contributed directly to the survival of the Byzantines for so long; it is not surprising that the Byzantine Emperors kept it so secret that the formula disappeared. Their survival and longevity depended on it.

Edited by Tobias

Greek fire was efficient, but not as much as you say and was definetly not a WMD.

Different formulas were well known by many so the greek fire was the best but not the only one.

They failed to use it to effect against the venetians in 1204 and this weapon became obsolete after the improvement of naval artillery.

It is believed to be expensive.

My suggestion is that Greek fire was tactically useful , like a one shot flamethrower used by WW2 airborne troops, but not a WMD.

My suggestion is that Greek fire was tactically useful , like a one shot flamethrower used by WW2 airborne troops, but not a WMD.

Bang on target

Bang on target

Viggen, forgive my attempt at German here "einstossflammenwerfer" as deployed by German airborne units is perhaps the relevant item?

The thing about Greek technology is how they figured things out. They applied the knowledge and made things 2,000 years ahead of their time. The more I think about it the more I realize this is not as hard as people think it is. How they made Greek fire, amazing balastics, discovered every property of science, and maybe even made a computer.

If back then Nobel handed out an award to the science department it would go to ancient Greece, no doubt.

Edited by Rameses the Great

The thing about Greek technology is how they figured things out. They applied the knowledge and made things 2,000 years ahead of their time. The more I think about it the more I realize this is not as hard as people think it is. How they made Greek fire, amazing balastics, discovered every property of science, and maybe even made a computer.

If back then Nobel handed out an award to the science department it would go to ancient Greece, no doubt.

exactaly sir.

The greek fire was used in clay pots throw by various means at the opponent and thru a pipe connected to a pomp like we use today for medicine injection.

It was not an infantry carried weapon and it was not used primerly against infantry.

His main use was in naval war to torch enemy ships and in siege warfare to burn the siege machines of the attackers.

It is possible that the recipe came from the Middle East because used petroleum.

Hitler decided with Saur at a General Staff meeting that german scientist must rediscover the formula of greek fire to use it against the Allies and that Me 262 jet will be used as a fighter. I think it's funny this mix of old and new military tehnology. This is from the Memories of A. Speer.

They applied the knowledge and made things 2,000 years ahead of their time.

:ph34r:

Not to single you out Rameses but it irks me beyond belief when people say that about ancient folks. What a load of arrogant rubbish.

If they invented it back then, then it is a part of their time!!! What is 'ahead' about it? Seems to me to be right on schedule... Just like the invention of the transistor was right on schedule for the dawning of the Space Age.

If I could go back in time...

~10,000 BC *person first corrals onagers* ----> ME: "About time you did that!"

~9000 BC *person first domesticates wheat* ----> ME: "About time you did that!"

~5000 BC *person first bridles horse* ----> ME: "About time you did that!"

~4000 BC *person hoists first sail* & *Smelts copper* ----> ME: "About time you did that!

*Romans develop quick set concrete* -----> ME: "About time you did that!"

*Egyptian screw invented* ----> ME: "About time you did that!"

*Greek Fire perfected*----> ME: "About time you did that!"

You get the point... :lol: