UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I would like to float the suggestion that British members of UNRV might meet informally at a known Roman location in Britain to discuss. even if light heartedly some aspects of Roman history. I had a pleasant chat with Northern Neil today ( my nearest forum neighbour) who, as you may be aware, is a skilled modeller of Roman fortifications.

There is no hurry , I would just like to see if we can get the ball rolling, if you would like to meet please post here making any suggestions regarding venues, bearing in mind the various member locations.

I myself suggest Deva (Chester) or Twice Brewed (Neil may claim that one!) as a Wall centred location.

Other possibilities are Eborascvm or Vindolanda, feel free to suggest....

There aren't too many of us so please post if interested...

It would be most excellent if a forum could be convened in Italy of course , with global representatives.

At some point I may have to make it to Britain lol. You guys have all the cool stuff!! ::cries::

I'd love to meet up. but I don't run a car, so a place with good communications like York is much better for me than a remoter one like the Twice Brewed - though I have known that place since I was 14 and love the area.

Phil

Thats a fair point , and that's the reason I mentioned Deva as well , presently we do not know who has what sort of transport or available time . Myself and NN both have fairly strange working hours for example.

I know we are (as a Brittanic forum) stretched from Isca to Arbeia , (via Gaull- for the most prestigious of Brits)

Lets leave the thread to germinate see what emerges.

Me (formerly Trajan) and Longbow are also around the area. I'd give it some thought, it would depend on a fair few variables.

I would love to see some of Neil's stuff. I was a very enthusiastic modeller (small link below my signiatue image), I am just getting back into the modelling game (paintnig is the main aim, but modelling is nice also).

Me (formerly Trajan) and Longbow are also around the area. I'd give it some thought, it would depend on a fair few variables.

I would love to see some of Neil's stuff. I was a very enthusiastic modeller (small link below my signiatue image), I am just getting back into the modelling game (paintnig is the main aim, but modelling is nice also).

Ive checked over your site previously and the minatures are very good, I did try casting in the past ( using lead), but was not too competent.

You are very close to the Wall of course what do you think as regards a possible meeting place? Perhaps a "northern" meeting could be set up first to see how things worked, then a national one sometime afterwards .

Northern Neil has pmd me to say he is happy to travel to whatever is the consensus destination of the "sub forum" , as am I , so please post if you are interested. It goes without saying that I extend this invitation to any European members , but the proposals are in their infancy and I do not expect a "weighty" conference .I will be happy to proceed with a quorum of a half dozen members chatting with little formality about all things Roman, if we have a favoured destination examination of that locality would be a useful starting point.

Well, thinking further, I'm not entirely sure I could manage it any time soon. I'm going to enrol on another course in September, I'd still have a little free time of course, but I've also been off the road since Christmas (I'm seriously thinking of quitting driving for good too). It would be a fair way down the road for me, if at all. (I hope I didn't give the impression that I was a probable).

Well, thinking further, I'm not entirely sure I could manage it any time soon. I'm going to enrol on another course in September, I'd still have a little free time of course, but I've also been off the road since Christmas (I'm seriously thinking of quitting driving for good too). It would be a fair way down the road for me, if at all. (I hope I didn't give the impression that I was a probable).

Dont worry , I wasnt even thinking about fixing a date for this year, just trying to gauge if its even remotely feasible -same message to everyone -no hurry at all, but would be great if we could achieve it.

I've been silent in this thread so far, but that doesn't mean lack of enthusiasm. I'm in favour of a meeting, preferably with beer, and will do my best to be there; which I believe is exactly what Caesar said, shortly before gathering his ships at Boulogne in 55BC. Oddly enough, we Dalbys also generally cross from Boulogne, though we get less of a welcoming party than Caesar did.

As for the later possibility, i.e. crossing the Rubicon and making a triumphal progress through some unsuspecting Italian city (that was it, wasn't it?) I'm in favour of that too ...

Ah! Excellent Omens.

AD and PC, I will not to suggest any sort of commitment till we have talked the thing over thoroughly, but, do you have any personal preferences as regards location a.in Britain b. in Italy (if I dare ask).

I am inclined to suggest that a workable quorum will be achieved by perhaps six members meeting together.So far we seem to have myself ( who can travel any distance) and NN ( who can travel any reasonable distance), Phil who is constrained by the Rail network(but I think that will not be difficult to work round) Princeps is a possible at present.

Plenty of others not reported in yet.I have pmd accordingly.

Ah! Excellent Omens.

AD and PC, I will not to suggest any sort of commitment till we have talked the thing over thoroughly, but, do you have any personal preferences as regards location a.in Britain b. in Italy (if I dare ask).

It's true that everything else I ever have to do in England is in the south; therefore a southern location would mean less travelling for me. But really I would be happy with any location with Roman connections. South of Mons Graupius.

In Italy, wow. An excuse to visit the Imperial Capital would make me very happy. But there are so many other places too ... What do others think?

Viggen hasn't spoken on this, has he? Is he likely to join us on either of these mooted expeditions?

Ah! Excellent Omens.

It's true that everything else I ever have to do in England is in the south; therefore a southern location would mean less travelling for me. But really I would be happy with any location with Roman connections. South of Mons Graupius.

In Italy, wow. An excuse to visit the Imperial Capital would make me very happy. But there are so many other places too ... What do others think?

Viggen hasn't spoken on this, has he? Is he likely to join us on either of these mooted expeditions?

Well, what I was trying to do here was see if the Brigantes could mount a small scale, beer fuelled raid as a possible precursor to something bigger.

A Tolkien group I was associated with through Theonering.com (or TORC for short) started off by some of us just saying we'd meet in a pub Tolkien used in Oxford about 4 years ago. Since then we have met regularly, with some "moots" attracting up to 50 people including from Europe and the US.

We have met in various places - Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, London, as well as regularly each summer in Oxford.

I suggest a first meet for UNRV types in the UK might work in a similar way - chose a centralish, well connected city like Chester or York, name a day (that seems reasonably convenient to at least some of us) and let's eee who turns up.

If all else fails, London has plenty of Museums and Roman sites (BM and london M to name but two); Bath is sumptuous .... we will never find a location or date to please us all. So why not just let's get thing going (not too ambitiously first time) and take things from there?

Just some thoughts, I'm pretty easy going

Phil