UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

WW has just pmd in , he is a student with limited means who will be in Isca D soon but is keen to meet, and would like to visit Londinium.

yup, I would be favour of London: all roads/traintracks lead straight there.

Edited by WotWotius

And the Museums are excellent. Please consider however the likely availability and cost of an overnight stay in a "target location" . Aqua Sullis might be a good compromise for WW.

I really do chuckle some times in regards to what Europeans consider a feasable travel radius compaired to most of us Americans. ^_^

:stupid: Oh how I have longed to use that icon!

You would have us cross Ocean , and fall off the edge of the World? Surely to voyage toward Thule is madness!

Hello all,

sounds like a great idea, im all for it, should be pretty interesting to see you all in person, i'm northern too but can travel so anywhere's good for me(as long as there's a couple of beers involved) <_<

I've been part of meets like this for some of my other interests. I would suggest the site is chosen well ahead of time to allow interested parties to arrange their affairs, and that some kind of informal agenda is put together in case everyone turns up and runs out of conversation quickly. Its a nice idea.

I've booked all my holidays in at work for this year (off to Barcelona next week :ph34r: ) so it will be a bit difficult for me to get the extra time off.But if the meet isnt until next year i would be delighted to meet you all,i would favour somewhere like York but if given enougth notice i could probably do a trip to the Big smoke,but you'll have to drag me out of the British museum i just love the place <_< .

Longbow.

And the Museums are excellent. Please consider however the likely availability and cost of an overnight stay in a "target location" . Aqua Sullis might be a good compromise for WW.

Don

Good, a lot of the "locals" have reported in .

I to am "booked up" for this year , though I could make some time in September.

Ok lets try and get some basics sorted:

1. here are some suggestions firstly for venue:

I would like everyone to give a first and second choice from this list, its not exhaustive but lets keep it very simple:

London, York, Chester, Bath , Twice Brewed (Hadrian's Wall ).

2. for how long should we meet?

Day 1:

I suggest a two night meeting, ie: informal meet on a Friday, eat/drink be merry but possible learned discourse during meal before drunkeness sets in, screening of "Roman " film?

Day 2

AM A tour of locality (possibly guided by local experts). This is my only hesitation as regards London, all the other localities are reasonably compact and with identifiable remains that can be navigated with reasonable ease.

PM some learned discourse , perhaps a couple of not-too long papers/presentations ( on topics to be agreed -sp be prepared ! ) followed by a roaringly splendid feed and imbibing of beverages.

Day 3 hangovers, informal chat ,disperse early PM.

3. If opinion is divided, I shall seek guidance from the Imperator whose word is Law. :notworthy:

and though its a long way ahead, I say April or May next year , because Tempus Fugit!

I'd go for WALLSEND. (Sorry, my sister's getting wed today, so I haven't read the whole thread, but that's my sugestion, I live 5k from there, it would be easiest for me).

I'm pretty easy and don't have anything planned for next Spring, though I think I might have preferred a "quick and dirty" meet for those who could make it sooner - as a starter.

I'll try to make whatever is planned though, but as I have said, much depends on the communications for me.

Phil

I'm pretty easy and don't have anything planned for next Spring, though I think I might have preferred a "quick and dirty" meet for those who could make it sooner - as a starter.

I'll try to make whatever is planned though, but as I have said, much depends on the communications for me.

Phil

Fair point, perhaps we should have a "day trip" to Chester just to get the ball rolling? If we are lazy we can take a tour:-

http://www.romantoursuk.com/

York would be my first choice because its pretty close to home and has an excellent choice of public houses :P , secondly i'd go for chester, i think london is just too big and would turn out to be a very expensive trip :(

York would be my first choice because its pretty close to home and has an excellent choice of public houses :P , secondly i'd go for chester, i think london is just too big and would turn out to be a very expensive trip :(

Good , keep your choices coming in please. York has a good selection of museums as well, one of which is actually in a pub

http://www.britainexpress.com/cities/york/...n_Bathhouse.htm

What could be more convenient.