UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

York has a good selection of museums as well, one of which is actually in a pub

That is a stroke of genius marketing...the wives are happy that they're going to a museum, and the husbands are happy that it's a pub! Everyone wins!

York would be my first choice because its pretty close to home and has an excellent choice of public houses :ph34r: , secondly i'd go for chester, i think london is just too big and would turn out to be a very expensive trip :(

Good , keep your choices coming in please. York has a good selection of museums as well, one of which is actually in a pub

What could be more convenient.

I think I've been there. Is it the one that contains hypocausts in it cellar?

If memory serves me correctly, I do believe its opposite York Minster.

Edited by WotWotius

York would be good, as a center of Roman power in the north it is appropriate. It would be nice to get some of the yanks to come too!

York would be good, as a center of Roman power in the north it is appropriate. It would be nice to get some of the yanks to come too!

The Museum of Yorkshire is said to be the best collection of Roman artefacts in Britain :

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=581

and the general ambience is pleasant:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=272

Yeah, the fortress under Yorkminster is quite nice: if I rember correctly, it contains two busts of Vespasian.

So I take it nobady wants to meet in Londinium anymore.

I personally think London is just too big where as York has everything that we would require all within walking distance of each other making the whole thing easier to arrange, but i'm pretty easy so what ever the majority decides is good with me :)

Likewise, I'll go with the majority.

Phil

I suppose I should conform to peer pressure and go for York (hopefully my newfound job will pay for a train ticket).

I see a rough consensus is emerging, perhaps a one day "dry run " might now be useful to scout out the terrain, for a more prestigious pitching of tents and standards in the spring?

*Sigh* I wanna come... but I fear a teenager landlocked in the northcentral United States won't make it. Perhaps there will be more get-togethers? I'll be 18 in two years, increasing my chances exponentially. :lol:

Do I see a date emerging?

For the "formal " meet I suggest late April , next year . For an informal get together I envisage early september.

*Sigh* I wanna come... but I fear a teenager landlocked in the northcentral United States won't make it. Perhaps there will be more get-togethers? I'll be 18 in two years, increasing my chances exponentially. :angry:

You are not alone ! I think we will get together, in the not too distant future-but Italy must be our goal.

So would everybody be in favour of meeting in late September/early October?