UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Forum Meeting In UK

Ok Ok -just this once, we are saving our ammunition for a frontal assault on your collective sensibilities, here is Caldrail, be afraid.Beer and weapons do not mix.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1674

Anyone think of a good Gladiatorial "fighting name" for this dangerous beast?

How about something like "Dominus cervezae" (I was attempting 'the Lord of the Beer', but I can't quite find the Latin word necessary!)

Cerevisiae

Hmmm, I'm not sure "Master" is appropriate though...servus maybe? :)

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry AC, take whatever time you want. Pm me when you are satisfied with the result-we are all looking forward to the "Life of Brian" incident.

Yes, AC - I have purposely left it out of my report - as it will be funniest coming from you! And in any case - it was all your fault....

Great photo of old Calders, there! I will leave his grand naming to our wonderful Nephele. She can do it if anyone can! Paging Nephele Carnalis....

The basement of the Roman Bath Inn must be haunted indeed. See how a ghostly white legionary looks on as Caldrail's guardian!

The basement of the Roman Bath Inn must be haunted indeed. See how a ghostly white legionary looks on as Caldrail's guardian!

In the official report of Sunday morning's events, I can't wait to learn just what led to the disrobing of Caldrail the Thracian! Was this a ceremony in honour of his dead ancestor, the white legionary? My mind is boggling - and knowing Caldrail, his explanation will no doubt provoke more questions than it answers :)

Ahhh but I shall not be a slave of the state for much longer. My last fight is won and I reach the end of my contract. Freedom! And a return to trading strange curio's from the far distant east in the warehouses of dull Durocornovium... :)

Very well here we are the first of the Reports from York: what I shall do is leave the various items in the parent thread for now , but when the rioting and looting have died down I will gather together the "respectable" posts and leave them in a separate thread as a memento of the visit.

So here speaks The Augusta:

Grated Pearls and Pony-girls

Jim Beam? Jack Daniels? Have the romans no answer to these foreign witches brew?

Caldrail is indeed to take part in festivities and sadly my gladiatrix will not. Phew. See you on the Friday.

A real pity I couldn't make it for this meet as my London trip plans got postponed. Hopefully, will make it next year, assuming that this meeting will be a grand success and there will be therefore a repeat of this.

Have fun, everyone and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos...

Pertinax - the itinerary sounds very interesting and I'm almost tempted to drop everything and catch the first flight out.. Alas, such impetuous behavior would land me in a lot of hot water, despite the best of intentions.

Edited by Skarr

No need to worry Skarr, though it would have been wonderful to have a visitor from the US. There are more events to follow.

Just to keep people happy for now , may I refer you all to my previous Eboracvm gallery:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...um&album=20

and a personal favourite of my own:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...=si&img=272

the "team" photos for the event are being drawn together as we speak, but this album hints at the atmosphere of the City.

Another Report , this time from Caldrail: giving some good guidelines on the City and its appearence and sights.

Caldrail says as follows:

What a magnificent place York is. Forgetting for the moment the tourist traps and commercial exploitation that the romans would smile knowingly at, the history of the place stares you in the face and is found around every corner. Roman remains are nestling amongst the medieval construction that permeate every corner of the old town. Traffic is banned from those ancient flagstone streets at certain times which accentuates that timelessness.

The medieval wall and its gates mark the boundary of the city as it was. They even saw action, as the royalist defenders surrendered to the parlimentarians in the English Civil War. The Castle Museum contains a wonderful collection of antiques from that period.

Dominating the skyline is that massive monument to christianity, the York Minster. A truly stunning building that was built in the 14th century to replace the collapsed norman church on the same site. The Minster might have collapsed too - The medieval builders ignored the need for foundations and only recent work underneath has kept the place from coming down. A very sobering thought when you find out that the central tower alone weighs in at 16,000 tons!

Yet that work in the Minster Undercroft has opened up the remains of the roman Principia, the headquarters of the fort first created in AD71. One of the columns from that building is now erected outside, and gives a good

impression of how grand the original was. Elsewhere a corner of the original fort wall is exposed, and a ten-sided tower blends in with medieval work and victorian restoration. The Roman Bath Museum hides beneath a tavern, revealing another glimpse of the life of common soldiery in Eboracum of the 1st century AD.

In York Museum we find many items that date from roman occupation. Tombstones record the passing of loved ones, and domestic items hint at the daily life that people led. For some, the daily life was one of privilege, well illustrated by a collection of silver dinner service. For others, it was a life of hardship and poverty, and in the crudity of some items one thinks of how valuable this ordinary piece must have been to someone.

As you can probably tell, it was the medieval period when York flourished on the back of beef and wool. Everywhere you find plaques describing details of places and events from that period. From ordinary day to day matters like winching chains across the River Ouse at night, to a shameful event when jews were massacred at the norman tower that still stands today, adjacent to an old prison where the notorious highwayman Dick Turpin met his end centuries later, now a museum that records the social history of York right up the 1980's!

It was there I came across a display of military and classic vehicles assembled on a warm sunday evening. Spotless and shining Ford Mustangs rubbed shoulders with matt green amphibious trucks whose owners took the trouble to dress accordingly and delighted in talking about their prized exhibits.

For those interested in military matters, take the time to peruse the Regimental Museum. The displays carry a deep impression of the lives of soldiers since the foundation of the regimental system right up to the present day. If you study closely, you will notice that the uniforms have not only been worn, but used in action by their owners in times past.

But in other places are glimpses of more recent changes. Wandering along the River Ouse on a sunny evening I discovered an industrial narrow railway for hand trucks that led from some demolished warehouse or factory to a riverside wharf, also long gone.

York can be a lively place yet loses none of its charm by night. If you should visit at some point, take your time and investigate every nook and cranny. Hidden away are some real gems and insight into the past.

Thank You Caldrail!

Please note that I am now official publicity agent for Caldrail aka "Brutus Brittanicus Thrax" to his female fans ( "Lions dismembered, Retiarii slaughtered, small children a speciality!"). For competitive hire rates contact "Ignavus Entertainments".

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1674

Join our "name that Thracian" competition!

Sounds like you guys had a fantastic time, I'm gutted I couldn't make it, hopefully I'll be OK for the next one.

I thought Augusta and Caldrail's report's were brilliant and I can't wait to read the rest, I'm particular interested in the 'Life Of Brian' story, I've heard that it was quite a giggle :lol:

I think Caldrail looks like a dead ringer for Russell Crowe in Gladiator :blink: , very nice picture was that taken before or after the drink?

Sounds like you guys had a fantastic time, I'm gutted I couldn't make it, hopefully I'll be OK for the next one.

I thought Augusta and Caldrail's report's were brilliant and I can't wait to read the rest, I'm particular interested in the 'Life Of Brian' story, I've heard that it was quite a giggle :lol:

I think Caldrail looks like a dead ringer for Russell Crowe in Gladiator :no2: , very nice picture was that taken before or after the drink?

My report will follow soon and the Life of Brian story will be included but the 'drink' he had was nothing more than a Coca Cola just beforehand!!!! If he'd had a pint his trousers would be hanging on his ghostly pal just behind him!!!!!! :D Perish the thought!!! Sorry Caldrail... I missed your exuberance while I was talking to the guy about the baths!! Was that a good thing he asks???

Very well , here is the first part of my own report:

This is the first part of the Legates Report on the UK UNRV Meeting 13th to 15th April 2007.

The Meeting was convened in Eboracvm sometime Roman Civitas established in the Tribal lands of the Brigantines.

The first evening was cool and misty with a sinister fog swirling through the ancient ghost haunted streets, the delegates slowly gathered together in beer fortified knots . There were initial difficulties as the main party flit through the fog shrouded streets keeping just out of reach of a perplexed Caldrail. The King

By this time the sun had been beating down fiercely on the combatants, AC and NN lead a small vexillation to (it transpires ) a Christian tearoom where their excellent rendition of selections from "Life of Brian" lead to stonings and Judean riots. They were chased by elements of the People's Popular Front of Judea after NN absconded without paying for the scones.

I thought we were the Popular Front?

By this time the sun had been beating down fiercely on the combatants, AC and NN lead a small vexillation to (it transpires ) a Christian tearoom where their excellent rendition of selections from "Life of Brian" lead to stonings and Judean riots. They were chased by elements of the People's Popular Front of Judea after NN absconded without paying for the scones.

I thought we were the Popular Front?

Not the Judean People's Front? Wait a minute are you trying to abduct Pilate? Care for an ocelot spleen?