UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Forum Meeting In UK

We had a great time! It was fantastic! We explored York, its walls, the Roman stuff and had lots of beer and fun, and great discussions. We even had a few philosophical discussions about various Python films which did not go down well with some pilgrims to York's holier places... Pertinax's report to follow! I was greatly saddened when I had to leave my new friends and drive back to my home town. Keep in touch, everyone!

Thanks for the report, Northern Neil! :) Am looking forward to hearing more from the rest of y'all. Soooo wish I could've joined you!

-- Nephele

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi y'all

Well, what an absolutely FANTASTIC weekend we had in York!! I'll never forget this as long as I live!! Meeting new friends whom I had only ever conversed with on here and my own forum and then travelling down to the city of York itself to meet you all - well - a good few of you....

Anyway, my wife, Augusta (Audrey - though NOT the Augusta (actually I should use her second Roman name to avoid confusion which is Flavia)) and I were the first to arrive and did a short tour of the local area - visiting the Treasurers House and discovering the Via Decumana which ran along the side street to this austeer building. Will, it did some 1800 years ago!! We made our way back to the Minster and met Andrew and Maureen Dalby. The rest of the troupe converged and we went off to an Indian restaurant to have plenty Roman debates about - well - everything Roman....

A very good night was had and the following day WotWotius joined us on the Walls ready to hear the first talk given by Andrew. This was excellent and very informative. Pertinax did the second talk further along the Wall and Northern Neil explained his Roman models based upon Segedunum here in Wallsend and I chipped in with some details where necessary. Later on in the pub I was asked several questions about Hadrian's Wall but by no means could I answer them all!! I don't proclaim to be an expert although I still know a fair bit. Pertinax will be doing a good write up of the whole weekend but that gives a taste of what happened although there was a lot more!!

One of the highlights was as NN said, was the 'tesing' of the locals when films of the ilk of The Life of Brian were discussed. I may put the full story on my own forum shortly. The whole situation was hilarious!!!

Anyway, before I spoil it for Pertinax I will say that both Flavia and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The weekend to us was an amazing success and we really ought, as discussed, to do this again at another destination. Hadrian's Wall was suggested as was Maiden Castle and Fishbourne Palace.

We now class all that were there as friends and we are so pleased to have met you all. :notworthy: ;):) :beer: :)

I will get my photos developed and off to Pertinax very soon.

Thank you to all who made this weekend possible and as special as it was!! This is what memories were made for!!!!!

I'm typing up my notes in Word as instructed by our esteemed Pertinax, but I just wanted to add my initial comments on the weekend here. This was a fantastic outing and I never felt any awkwardness at any stage - as all our members were like friends I'd known for ages. The weather was beautiful, the location was beautiful, the beer was beautiful! Like Neil I was sad to leave - especially as I had to dash off earlier than I'd hoped in the end and missed a final farewell with all my new friends. I do hope we can repeat this and invite even more members, and I hope our little 'York' band keep in touch.

And a personal note to add that the future of our forum and Roman history in general is in very good hands in the person of Wotwotius. Our Wot came straight from the train to join us on our lengthy perambulation of the walls and contributed to all discussions without even breaking step.

A great time was had by all. Thanks again, all.

And a personal note to add that the future of our forum and Roman history in general is in very good hands in the person of Wotwotius. Our Wot came straight from the train to join us on our lengthy perambulation of the walls and contributed to all discussions without even breaking step.

Aww shucks...thank you.

Aww shucks...thank you.

I quite agree with The Augusta and it is perhaps a little sad that more young lads don't take some parts of their lives and dedicate it to learning things of this ilk. Thank you Wot for coming along and adding to the very interesting debates that went on over the three days. All contributions, no matter how small or large, were very valuable. I learned quite a lot over this last weekend and appreciate everything that was said.

Once more... thank you all...

Aww shucks...thank you.

I quite agree with The Augusta and it is perhaps a little sad that more young lads don't take some parts of their lives and dedicate it to learning things of this ilk. Thank you Wot for coming along and adding to the very interesting debates that went on over the three days. All contributions, no matter how small or large, were very valuable. I learned quite a lot over this last weekend and appreciate everything that was said.

Once more... thank you all...

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures and reading the reports from Augusta and Pertinax! I only wish I had been able to be there with you...Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next meet.

I will shortly start a UK UNRV "On Campaign" thread for projected events and after the York Report is published perhaps tidy up the existing "meet " thread.

please go here:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry61929

I acknowledge receipt of The Augusta's report : which is so funny that I think it merits publishing in full with only the slightest tweak.I am finishing my own submission, and will consult with PP as to the best method of display.

As your individual reports of the weekend events are starting to arrive early I shall endeavour to have ours done sooner rather than later. I will be developing photographs on Thursday and will 'tweak' those necessary like the group one and will send it to you P for your inclusion if required.

Do you have a date in mind for publishing your finished report?

As your individual reports of the weekend events are starting to arrive early I shall endeavour to have ours done sooner rather than later. I will be developing photographs on Thursday and will 'tweak' those necessary like the group one and will send it to you P for your inclusion if required.

Do you have a date in mind for publishing your finished report?

Dont worry AC, take whatever time you want. Pm me when you are satisfied with the result-we are all looking forward to the "Life of Brian" incident.

Can one of ya'll throw us a bone and at least post ONE picture in the Gallery! :wine:

Ok Ok -just this once, we are saving our ammunition for a frontal assault on your collective sensibilities, here is Caldrail, be afraid.Beer and weapons do not mix.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1674

Anyone think of a good Gladiatorial "fighting name" for this dangerous beast?

Ok, ok.. Thank you Pertinax

But there better be some group shots forthcoming! :wine:

plenty to follow, I intend to load the best shots from several members in roughly chronological order. Im waiting for a selection of shots to place into a single gallery. We have at least three reports to intergrate, then I can link photos into the text .

Ok Ok -just this once, we are saving our ammunition for a frontal assault on your collective sensibilities, here is Caldrail, be afraid.Beer and weapons do not mix.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1674

Anyone think of a good Gladiatorial "fighting name" for this dangerous beast?

How about something like "Dominus cervezae" (I was attempting 'the Lord of the Beer', but I can't quite find the Latin word necessary!)