UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Forum Meeting In UK

A useful link for those travelling to York:

http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/north_yor...ties/index2.htm

please pm me if you have a query regarding a particular hotel , as I know quite a few of them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For first contact? 10.00 am on Sat 14th at the King's Manor :

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...si&img=1464

a few paces from Bootham Bar (medieval gate), The Minster and the Museum Of Yorkshire.Maps and more images to follow.

Some people will be in Town on the previous evening , I forsee a Tandoori Restaurant....

• 3 weeks later...
:lol: A bump for this thread as I am pleased to see that Northern Neil has been able to return to the fold and has been asking for appropriate info on the UK meet. Its the 14/15 th April weekend in 2007.

• 3 weeks later...

OK before I am immersed in treacle coated ham , claret and a rib of beef as big as a small car-I wish all UK Forum Members an especial greeting for the Yuletide and the New Year. Dont forget to keep tabs on this thread for information on our get together in York in the spring :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I am now starting to pm UK members for attendance at the Forum meet in York. Several of you have already booked hotels, but I want to try and make sure (within reason) of numbers.

I understand the following to be likely :-

Augustus Caesar (plus Domina)

The Augusta ...could be tricky with Augustus there...

Northern Neil

Wot Wot

Viggen

Phil 25

Dalby A

Longbow (if arriving baby permits)

Self

if I have failed to mention you please speak out , I need a reasonable idea of numbers for visiiting venues/speechifying/pubs etcetera etcetera.

We will discuss the itinerary and meeting points in due course.I reiterate , this is a first time event so we may be excused for being a little unscientific, we need to guage everyones temperament and interests.

I am now starting to pm UK members for attendance at the Forum meet in York. Several of you have already booked hotels, but I want to try and make sure (within reason) of numbers.

Happy New Year, Pertinax! I'm on your list and I will definitely be there. It is just remotely conceivable that Mrs D will come as well ...

All the best

I will be there. I have booked hotel for Fri. 13th and Sat 14th. Time off work has been booked as well!

Caldrail has confirmed also by pm.

Spittle likewise.

Augustus Caesar (plus Domina)

The Augusta ...could be tricky with Augustus there...

As I once famously said, I turn a blind eye to all his little affairs!

Seriously - nice to see there will be a few other ladies. I take it we are making our own accommodation arrangements?

The choice of hotels/guesthouses is enormous, however if anyone spots a place they are unsure of pm me with a link and I will pontificate: weve stopped in so many of them over the years that I can (usually) give a thumbs up or down.

http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/north_yor...l_specialities/

OK , numbers are looking quite good. Next thing is itinerary and site visits, also possible re-enactment involvment (by which I mean an invite to Comitatvs, the local 3rd C AD group , to send a representative as our guest ).

Persons who have kindly offered to speak are as follows, ( they will not be obliged to speak for more than 20 minutes-unless possesed of an overwhelming desire to transmit learned information ):

Dalby A , Wot Wotius, Phil 25,and myself . There is an excellent spot on the City Wall where a small group may sojurn (weather permitting) , otherwise I have my eye on an appropriate indoor venue.

Other delegates are invited to speak or (as in NNs case) perhaps display the fruits of their handiwork.

Please do not take things too seriously , we are engaged in "testing the water" on this trip , once we have a grasp of the range of personalities and talents , interests and bad habits then we can plan accoringly.

TRhe City is awash with interesting historical items , Roman, Viking and Medieval (also technological , the Railway Museum is excellent). The pubs arent bad either.

I have dropped a line to this group of late era re-enactors:

http://www.comitatus.net/Home.htm

I hope they may be able to send a representative to speak to us , however briefly. I would add that I intend to visit the Goathland event in their schedule the week preceding our own meeting.

I have dropped a line to this group of late era re-enactors:

http://www.comitatus.net/Home.htm

I hope they may be able to send a representative to speak to us , however briefly. I would add that I intend to visit the Goathland event in their schedule the week preceding our own meeting.

So how will we recognise you? You'll be wearing ancient armour, showing signs of a recent stab wound, and carrying a copy of the Times?

No, but you are close...I shall be wearing a scandalously loose fitting toga, carrying Mandrake root to ward of evil spirits and a copy of "Dangerous Tastes".