UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Is Your Name Popular?

Viggen

A cool Java application lets you enter a name and shows you how popular it was from 1880 to the present. Click "Launch NameVoyager" towards the bottom.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/

My name was always in the top 250 and it right now on an all time high (2005 on 22nd position)

Alas my name was World No 1 for many years but has slipped a little since.

I KNOW my name is popular. I don't even have to look it up. Someone says "hey Kelly!" and five people answer. It creates very awkward situations:

"hey Kelly!"

"What?"

"who the heck are you?" (weird look)

"Who are you? you said my name"

"I was talking to her!"

I'm seriously considering going by my middle name, which is Lee.

I do hate however, that people don't seem to understand how to pronounce mine correctly. dry.gif "Have you EVER heard someone named by their parents 'SEEN'??? So why do you think that's how you say mine!?" mad.gif

Oh dear, lol. Some people just cannot pronounce names properly. It's incredible that people cannot pronounce my last name. Or spell it. People, it's really, a pretty straight forward name. And I'm sick of people asking me if I spell my name with an "i" or a "y". and if I tell them it's a "y" they ask if there is an "e" before it. NO! I'm "kelly". Not "kelli" or "kelley", its KELLY!!!

I can't do that one, either...my middle name has always been in the top 20...and usually also in the top 10.

In fact, I would imagine that the combo for my first and middle names is one of the most popular for girls--I know of several, besides myself. :ph34r:

Mine peaked at 41 in the 80's was even lower when I was a fetus.

I do hate however, that people don't seem to understand how to pronounce mine correctly. :ph34r:"Have you EVER heard someone named by their parents 'SEEN'??? So why do you think that's how you say mine!?" :lol:

Poor Seen! My grand niece's name is Siobhan! Pronounced Dusty! :o

I'm sure that is in the bottom ten even in Ireland. :blink:

:lol:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

I can't do that one, either...my middle name has always been in the top 20...and usually also in the top 10.

In fact, I would imagine that the combo for my first and middle names is one of the most popular for girls--I know of several, besides myself. :wacko:

I have so many middle names that I sound like the roll-call for a small auxilliary fortlet. ;)

Seen? good grief , if you ever hear a real Paddy say "Sean" the S is indistinguishable from the J in John ( a Gh sound) so the pronunciation is actually identical as both names are expressed as a quick guttural sound.