UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pantagathus

Strabo On Festivals, Mysteries & Music

I've been doing a lot of research lately on the Mysteries of Samothrace for reasons that only the initiates of the Saoi shall understand :ph34r: and in doing so I came across a wonderful treatment by Strabo in his 10th book in regards to mysteries and ancient (by his standards) religious activities. (As an aside, his study focused on the Curetes and he connected a lot of dots from there...)

The following quote from 10.3.9 is one of the most insiteful summaries I've ever come across in regards to why these religious practices were performed the way they were.

Now this is common both to the Greeks and the Barbarians, to perform their religious ceremonies with the observance of a festival, and a relaxation from labour; some are performed with enthusiasm, others without any emotion; some accompanied with music, others without music; some in mysterious privacy, others publicly; and these are the dictates of nature.

For relaxation from labour withdraws the thoughts from human occupations, and directs the reflecting mind to the divinity: enthusiasm seems to be attended with a certain divine inspiration, and to approach the prophetic character; the mystical concealment of the sacred rites excites veneration for the divinity, and imitates his nature, which shuns human senses and perception; music also, accompanied with the dance, rhythm, and song, for the same reason brings us near the deity by the pleasure which it excites, and by the charms of art. For it has been justly said, that men resemble the gods chiefly in doing good, but it may be said more properly, when they are happy; and this happiness consists in rejoicing, in festivals, in philosophy, and in music. For let not the art be blamed, if it should sometimes be abused by the musician employing it to excite voluptuousness in convivial meetings at banquets, on the stage, or under other circumstances, but let the nature of the institutions which are founded on it be examined.

This quote you surely know, Pantagathus, but others outside of Saionic influence may not have seen it:

From Diodurus (of Sicily)

"Now the details of the initiatory rite are guarded among the matters not to be divulged and are communicated to the initiates alone; but the fame has traveled wide of how these gods appear to mankind and bring unexpected aid to those initiates of theirs who call upon them in the midst of perils. The claim is also made that men who have taken part in the mysteries become more pious and more just and better in every respect than they were before"

and of course ,as has been mentioned elsewhere, the considerable focus of the activities of the Deities as regards the protection of those at Sea, indeed with specific reference to the provision of altars and temples by those engaged in seafaring/fishing and commerce "across the boundaries".

Also I think it best to mention here that all persons, free or unfree, male or female were able to participate, and be initiated in the rites.

Remind me, but I recall the ceremonies were conducted over a period of several weeks rather than days, I presume we can infer an appropriate period of "incubation" or transitions to awareness of the prepared devotee?

and of course ,as has been mentioned elsewhere, the considerable focus of the activities of the Deities as regards the protection of those at Sea, indeed with specific reference to the provision of altars and temples by those engaged in seafaring/fishing and commerce "across the boundaries".

Yes, in particular to the Kabeiroi of the Samothracian Mysteries but we shall not speak any more specifically on that subject as it seems a sin to do so... :ph34r:

Remind me, but I recall the ceremonies were conducted over a period of several weeks rather than days, I presume we can infer an appropriate period of "incubation" or transitions to awareness of the prepared devotee?

It varied with different Mysteries but with the Samothracian you are correct.

Edited by Pantagathus

Some of the comedic pottery from this area repays examination .

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...cial_s%26sa%3DG

Some of the comedic pottery from this area repays examination .

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...cial_s%26sa%3DG

Pertinax: In all seriousness, is that a circumcised penis? What is he holding in his left hand?

Pantagathus: Would it be right to conclude that the acceptance of slaves into the mysteries carried over into Christianity and thus contributed to its spread?

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Pertinax: In all seriousness, is that a circumcised penis? What is he holding in his left hand?

I think not , in this instance though the item does seem phallic in nature , but many of the pieces from this genre are ribald in the extreme, we must surely consider that an ecstatic/dionysiac condition is being hinted at. Odysseus does not have the toned body one would expect of a great hero , his splendid paunch hinting at both great wealth and bibulousness.

http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/dlevine/Kabeiroi.jpg

The flautist is about to be "surprised" in a most , er....surprising, way. <_<

John Ashcroft and the telereverendos wouldn't approve. Poor georgey would be aghast!

Pantagathus: Would it be right to conclude that the acceptance of slaves into the mysteries carried over into

Christianity and thus contributed to its spread?

I think that is a safe assumtion