UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gaius Octavius

Weird Place Names

If the BBC are involved ,its likely that they tested the population of a Station buffet in Hertfordshire and drew wideranging ethnographic conclusions from this.

You Brits have such great place names. I am going to move that Brooklyn be rechristened Brookfordshiresexington Great Olde Place.

:ph34r:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

If the BBC are involved ,its likely that they tested the population of a Station buffet in Hertfordshire and drew wideranging ethnographic conclusions from this.

I think they're becoming more inclusive. They may have ventured as far as Chester.

You Brits have such great place names. I am going to move that Brooklyn be rechristened Brookfordshiresexington Great Olde Place.

AMerica has it's fair share too, I always liked the Wild West names, I'm sure there'll be a town in the US called 'Dead Dog' or something. I always liked 'Cumming' myself (Virginia?).

There is a Deadwood, TX. Population 58 or 59 on a good day. IF they haven't shot the Yankee. :lol:

Anyone else know that the town of Waterproof, LA, was moved 3 times due to flooding?

For Nu Yok: The towns of: Unadilla, Butternuts, Horseheads, Big Flats, Romulus and Cato (Cato, as in M.P. Cato?). And that is just for starters.

In PA:

Blue Ball

Bird in Hand

Intercourse

Climax

(I kid you not)

There's a Hell, Michigan (they have a "Hell froze over" party on the first real snow of the year. It was on the morning news.)

Don't forget Lake Titicaca (Not sure where that is, but it's funny!)

Hetton Le Hole,County Durham (in the list Pantagathus posted) is a royal dump! never go there,never,ever!!

Allthough not funny i allways liked the American names of Kentucky,Missouri and Tennessee.Are they native American names?

Longbow

Allthough not funny i allways liked the American names of Kentucky,Missouri and Tennessee.Are they native American names?

Kentucky I'm not sure about but the others yes.

Oh don't get me started on native place names! I love 'em it gives a real uniquness to the landscape and am glad the early Americans utilized them so much.

Some from my home State:

Catawba

Waccamaw

Waxhaw

Swannanowa

Saxapahaw (Sissipahaw)

Mayharuka

Occaneechi

The ones in the Pacific Northwest are really fun...

Edited by Pantagathus

Catawba - As in Catawba grapes?

Lake Titicaca is in the Andes in Peru.

My personal favorite is Mawah (Nu Joyzee). :romansoldier:

Catawba - As in Catawba grapes?

I do believe so

Lake Titicaca is in the Andes in Peru.

Bolivia :lol:

Don Giovanni:

If I err, you correct me. :unsure:

I am in your debt, for a change. :romansoldier:

Me,

:D

Actually, Lake Titicaca is on the border between Bolivia and Peru..you're both right.

What cracks me up is 'reused' city names. Just in the SF Bay Area, we have:

Piedmont

Inverness

Pittsburg

Antioch

Saratoga

Belmont

Newark

As for odd (just in the Bay Area):

Cotati

Pajaro (this is where my grandmother was born, although it's on the 'wrong side of the tracks' from Watsonville, so she always said she was from Watsonville.)