UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gaius Octavius

Weird Place Names

There is a Troy and an Athens not far from here. Actually, I believe there are two Athens', one in NY and one in PA.

We have our share of Native names to. They aren't funny, until you hear someone try to pronounce some of them:

Tunkhannock

Catawissa

Then theres' Mehoopany, it's kinda funny sounding, I don't think it's native.

There are also REALLY bad business names around here:

Curry Donuts (EWW)

Tangles' hair salon

Edited by Lost_Warrior

The English towns of Penistone and Scunthorpe have given delight to schoolchildren for many generations due to what the names become when certain letters are blocked out... :whistling:

If you want to find some amusing place names just go to the county of Norfolk, UK.

When I was there last I found a village named Cockthorpe right next to a town named Stiffton............ :huh:

There is also place called Hairy Column, which coincidently has a great country pub...I would recommend going there just so you could have your photo taken by the 'you are now entering Hairy Column' sign.

Sorry to lower the tone, but these names are just too funny to keep to myself.

HAHAHA!!

I wonder how these towns get such names? Is it someone's idea of a joke? Or is it a case of changing word meaning?

I've noticed that only people below a certain age find these place names amusing...maybe that's saying something about us. B)