UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Birthplace Of Octavian?

Many times online the birthplace of Augustus is listed as either the Palantine hill or Velitrae. I seems to be no way to know for sure but at least the Palantine theory is supported by Suetonius. So what is the support for the Velitrae origin theory aside from the fact that his father derived from there?

Suetonius makes it quite clear that Augustus was born on the Palatine but that a nursery was maintained in the ancestral home of Velitrae. Other than Dio who I recall suggests the same as Suetonius other sources may be the usual culprits, but in obscure passages. Maybe Plutarch (in Life of Caesar) or perhaps Appian makes a passing reference in the Civil Wars. Nicolaus of Damascus work survives only in part and any mention of Augustus birthplace may be missing.

As something like this is not generally a concern of mine I don't recall any primary source evidence for Velitrae but it certainly was his ancestral home and the place where he was reared (at least early on.) I'm not sure what difference it makes because the city was clearly Roman by this point in history anyway.

Suetonius alsohas a story about Octavian being born at Thurii, and Marcus Antonius seems to have used the name "the Thurian" to try beliitle his rival (suggestions of a rural low class origin). the epithet seems to have worried Octavian somewhat.

An alternative explanation is that the name came from a cognomen of Octavius' father. Though more scurrilous writers suggested "Thurinus" was the name of Octavian's real - freedman - father (a ropemaker).

Probably all a red herring, but there is a full discussion in Richard Holland's recent biography.

My own guess - it can be no more. Octavian claimed the Palatine as his birthplace later to aid his standing and to associate himself with aristocracy. It was the place in Rome he would make his home and centre with the Apollo complex.

His real birthplace - probably Velitrae. But that was not good enough to make him a Roman of the Romans. But the pretence is the reason for Augustus' always avoiding discussion of the subject later in life.

Phil