UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Reversing And Accelerating The Speed Of Light

Viggen

Physicist Costas Soukoulis and his research group at the U.S. Department of Energy's Ames Laboratory on the Iowa State University campus are having the time of their lives making light travel backwards at negative speeds that appear faster than the speed of light. That, folks, is a mind-boggling 186,000 miles per second

That's very interesting; i'm a physics student, so this sort of stuff is quite mind boggling :(

I'll show that article to my physics teacher; she might find it interesting.

When are the spaceships capable of reaching lightspeed going to be built lol :P

This is way over my head... reverse? Anyone know of a diagram to illustrate this?

NM, theres one here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial

I was puzzled for a while. The formula made everything clear. You realize, of course, that the spaceship will have to be made of opal and travel into the fourth dimension - but it will be traveling backwards in time.

Traveling backwards in time, you mean the way Powdered Toast Man travels backward through the air?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

Not really. You see the sun light hits the opal space ship at an oblique left angle and propels it off at an oblique right angle. This propels the space ship into the 4th dimension - backwards. The problem here is that the traveler would instantly revert into an amoeba. This problem may be resolved by shining a laser on the traveller, thus reversing the velocity of the change.