UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Antiochus of Seleucia

Lorica Segmentata

I know Lorica Segmenta was a great piece of armor. Flexible and strong, I've seen it deflect a scorpion bolt. One thing I haven't seen, however, is its ability to take a hit from a spear/gladius/falx ect.

Basically I just want to know how well it can take a hit.

I suspect it did very well.

It would be pretty easy to defeat however with a slight upward angle to the stab, which would slip between the plates, I would think.

The intention of the segmental armour was to deflect slashing blows, as was the shaping and reinforcement pattern of the various helmets (with splayed wide neck guards, and reinforced crowns).As LW, says against a thrust it is not so efficient, but it is marvellously flexible and allows total trunk and shoulder rotation.

The lorica segmentata protects the shoulders and torso from the expected sword blows from screaming barbarians. It did indeed serve them well, but it wasn't too quick to put on (you would need help from a friend for a good fit) and eventually they reverted to chainmail simply because of convenience.

The lorica segmentata protects the shoulders and torso from the expected sword blows from screaming barbarians. It did indeed serve them well, but it wasn't too quick to put on (you would need help from a friend for a good fit) and eventually they reverted to chainmail simply because of convenience.

If you watch re-enactors struggling to get ready , that brings it home, no wonder thaey left it on all day! Also its rather floppy and concertina like when removed so you always need a mess mate to help you .

Here is a shot of the fastenings:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=941

as you can see the number of straps is quite large, so its not a piece of kit you can slip in and out of at will.Chain just pulls over your head and thats it. I did remark elsewhere that if you got segmental gear damp it needed plenty of spit and polish to get its shine back.

Chainmail is very heavy though, so it has it's disadvantages too. I believe the auxialia wore the chainmail. How well would chain hold up against an arrow/spear?

Chainmail is very heavy though, so it has it's disadvantages too. I believe the auxialia wore the chainmail. How well would chain hold up against an arrow/spear?

Tremendously heavy, but it has the simple advantadge of slipping over the head quickly. I think one would need to wear a reasonable thickness of undergarments/tunica to avoid having arrow points push links into the flesh (and cause infection). If you scroll through my gallery entries you will see the Auxiliaries in chainmail:

also a Centurion here as well;

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=917

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=852

I held 1 strand of heavy scale (clibanarius/cataphract armour) -now that is very heavy indeed, you cannot imagine moving fast wearing that: I suspect the heavy horsemen "jostled" their opponents to death.

Chainmail will resist a slashing blow which is why it was so popular in the ancient and medieval world (it can still be found in use today!). It doesn't protect against thrusting attacks very well as a sharp point easily penetrates.

The Osprey book 'Imperial Roman Legionary AD 161 - 284 shows legionaries wearing quilted 'gambesons' under their chainmail. In the days of my youth I was in an anglo - Norman re-enactment group called Regia Anglorum, and we found this arrangement very agreeable. The Gambeson itself was made from two layers of thick linen stuffed with rags or horsehair. On a test performed using a layer of mail, gambeson and a side of beef an arrow penetrated the mail, got caught up in the gambeson, but did not harm the beef underneath. Accounts from the crusades mention exactly this; the Saracen's arrows penetrated the armour but not the person inside it.

Edited by Northern Neil

The Osprey book 'Imperial Roman Legionary AD 161 - 284 shows legionaries wearing quilted 'gambesons' under their chainmail. In the days of my youth I was in an anglo - Norman re-enactment group called Regia Anglorum, and we found this arrangement very agreeable. The Gambeson itself was made from two layers of thick linen stuffed with rags or horsehair. On a test performed using a layer of mail, gambeson and a side of beef an arrow penetrated the mail, got caught up in the gambeson, but did not harm the beef underneath. Accounts from the crusades mention exactly this; the Saracen's arrows penetrated the armour but not the person inside it.

Which by nice symmetry leads me to post this shot of a Centurion wearing a quilted leather jerkin for use under a layer of chain , note also the scale piece he is holding

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=946

note: by the way, I know the real contemporary term for segmenta is unknown but are we to use the term segmenta or segmentata?

When exactly did segmenta substitute chain mail as the standard armour of the legionary?

When exactly did segmenta substitute chain mail as the standard armour of the legionary?

This is not my area of speciality at all, but, having spoken to the re-enactors of VIII AVG and II AVG both units were obviously pondering the time frame that they should consider accurate for their work. My tentative suggestion is that it is certainly a mid 1st C AD equipment , in the "style" that we are assuming to be standard pattern,but the re-enactors are of a mind that the provenance of the type is earlier than commonly assumed. However look at the "kalkriese" sub links here:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/lorica.html

In the Osprey 58BC-AD 69 Legionary book , look at plate F (2).

and of course now you know how to make your own armour! LW I expect to see you in parade gear within a fortnight!

and I see "segmentata" appears to be correct. :rolleyes: