UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

i remember reading that Constantine actually considered rebuilding 'Troy' and his new capital around the hellespont. Do you think it wouldve been a better position then the greek settlement of Byzantium?? militarily speaking if he did choose the hellespont would it have been a better defensive position or worse??

If my memory serves, The City had water on three sides. The major wall was landward, which made it more defensible. I think that Mehmet II pulled his ships over the land north of The City to get at the Roman navy that was protected by two great chains drawn across the mouth of the northerly bay. The idea was to attack The City from land and sea. I believe that he lost the naval battle that ensued. Had The City been posted on the Asiatic side, it would have made a tempting and constant target for the Persians.

goodpoint about the persians but also it coudlve prolonged the empire a bit longer because it woudlve prevented the building of rumeli hissar..

goodpoint about the persians but also it coudlve prolonged the empire a bit longer because it woudlve prevented the building of rumeli hissar..

I don't know what 'rumeli hissar' is?

Rumeli Hissar was a fortress built around the hellespont by Mehmet II it was built to control the shipping through the straits of marmara..it ended up starving Constantinople from any aid it could get from the west eg food, reinforcements.. and most importantly its trade.

I don't want to look like i'm nitpicking, but the Rumeli Hissar was built on a hill on the European side of the Bosporus, north of the "Bebek" district at Constantinople. The Hellespont was somewhat to the southwest of Constantinople and the Bosporus.

Sorry, i'm a stickler for detail sometimes, back on topic... :)

Edited by Tobias

I agree with you Pantagathus, controlling those straits would have greatly assisted them, though Constantinople was so weak they may not have had the resoruces, if I recall they also did not have control of Karakoy and Galata right across the Golden Horn. This was just as an important post, though without control of the Asian side it might have been a mute point.

Galata was mainly in control by the Genoans by the time of the fall. I dont think Galata was that important. yes it held the massive chain that blocked the golden horn to foreign navies but thats mainly all.