UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome And Usa.

WotWotius

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that is apathetic to American hegemony?

I look at the mindless postmodern culture America is exporting to the world and I feel cold. Numb. Alienated. Bored. Unimpressed. Uninspired. Underwhelmed. If this an empire, then they don't make empires like they used to...

And with all due respect to our European friends, I find their namby-pamby post-Colonial bureaucratic self-loathing rather uninspiring as well.

The mindless postmodern culture to which I think you are alluding is not just America's - all us capitalist countries have had a hand in it, and contributed to the bland global culture which is imposing a trashy universality throughout the world.

Modern British polititians have since the '50's been imposing a 'multicultural' society on its citizens, no doubt fuelled by guilt and self - loathing from our colonial past. But they should consider this: Their ancestors may well have exploited India, the Irish and Black Africans, but at that time, my ancestors and most other Brit's ancestors didn't - they were working as virtual slaves in mills, on farms, if unemployed sent to the workhouse, and their children sent to be chimney sweeps apprentices, to die of soot inhalation before they were twenty. Why should we feel guilty?

Still, there is light at the end of the tunnel - the guilty descendents of the mill owners, colonists and slave traders can always escape the ghastly, terrorist - ridden monster of a social experiment they have produced and go and live somewhere else. We'll just stay here, and get bombed on the London underground.

Edited by Northern Neil

Am I the only one that is apathetic to American hegemony?

I look at the mindless postmodern culture America is exporting to the world and I feel cold. Numb. Alienated. Bored. Unimpressed. Uninspired. Underwhelmed. If this an empire, then they don't make empires like they used to. The Romans might appreciate our military superiority, but I think they would laugh at our alleged culture.

This statement provides the perfect opportunity to propose that the USA in its current state has much more in common with Carthage than Rome

Modern British polititians have since the '50's been imposing a 'multicultural' society on its citizens, no doubt fuelled by guilt and self - loathing from our colonial past. But they should consider this: Their ancestors may well have exploited India, the Irish and Black Africans, but at that time, my ancestors and most other Brit's ancestors didn't - they were working as virtual slaves in mills, on farms, if unemployed sent to the workhouse, and their children sent to be chimney sweeps apprentices, to die of soot inhalation before they were twenty. Why should we feel guilty?

Still, there is light at the end of the tunnel - the guilty descendents of the mill owners, colonists and slave traders can always escape the ghastly, terrorist - ridden monster of a social experiment they have produced and go and live somewhere else. We'll just stay here, and get bombed on the London underground.

This is a brave post, and it needed to be said! And it just goes to show that no matter what the age or nation, no one really gives a toss about the working classes. I never thought I'd live to hear myself say that (as I've always been something of a drenched Tory), but what with our nanny culture and political correctness gone mad, it terrifies me to think of where we are headed. No one wants to see free speech curtailed, but when we live in a nation where a panel of politicians on 'Question Time' can uphold the right of Abdul Hamza (sp? - him with the hook) to preach death to all non-believers ( for this read, mainly: Britons and Americans) in our own Hyde Park, one simply stands back aghast.

First off China is not just "one" country in south asia, it is THE country of all Asia.

I disagree.

As much as I like to argue, I'm sure most of you know my opinions by now. smile.gif I really should turn my attention to other things.

Well here is the thing if China is not the main country in Asian who is? Thailand, Burma, laos, North Korea, Malasysia who.

It might possibly be/become the main economic player, but not 'THE country of all Asia.' That phrase indicates to me that India, Japan and S. Korea are insignificant in Asia.

Yeah I know the type, I work with and am related to a few. They think all Americans should be as thankful as crack addicts who've just gotten a long needed fix. Well that's fine, the truth is while some individuals from Bosnia or the Philippines aren't complacent, when you go to their countries (I've been to Bosnia) everyone 'works' like they've taken a few valium and timeliness is a flexible commodity--and that's being very kind.

I remember one project at a US Embassy building in Kiev, Ukraine that was finally finished when US contractors came in because the native workers lacked any sense of urgency about the project and it wallowed for weeks.

I can't really dispute this, I can only say that I value the opinion of the people I know because they are grateful and successful despite starting out with almost nothing.

Ok, I'm really going to stop now. :huh:

I can't really dispute this, I can only say that I value the opinion of the people I know because they are grateful and successful despite starting out with almost nothing.

It seems we do tend to get 'the best' in terms of hard-working or being exceptionally gifted when it comes to immigrants.

• 8 months later...
Guest Iulis Mascellus

Yeah despite being American...I do have a bias towards Rome. I mean before the Catholic Church (of which I am a member) came in and the early Popes created inquisitions and wrought terrible things, the Roman Republic/Empire was unbiased in terms of race, sex (ok obviously not completely true), religion (except for the state Gods) etc. You can take a look at America and see the seething prejudice evident in many facets. I mean, "Is America ready for a black President?" (i.e. Obama) or "Is America ready for a Catholic President?" (i.e. JFK)...are you kidding me? Anyway...I think both socities had their distinct pros and cons, but for now I have to say I think the Romans did a better job, but hey, we Americans are still around, who knows what'll happen.

Oh and yes I'm very happy that Americans chose to go with more Roman architecture than Gothic, pillars FTW!!!