UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome And Usa.

WotWotius

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Briefly (and hopefully ironically) the USA is a concealed monarchy (President) pretending to be a republic/democracy. It is expansionist, the most dynamic and militaristic power in its world. It has had and retains an overseas empire (which once included the Phillipines, Cuba etc and still includes Puerto Rico and Havana.

Power largely depends on wealth, it has faction rather than party politics, is deeply corrupt.

It has a Senate which sits in a classical-style building.

It has the same sort of relationship with Britain as Rome had with Greece - condescending but slightly envious. A young, thrusting nation, aware of what it owes to an older, mature more deeply cultural mother-land, from which it derives many of its forms of Government, language, life-style and tradition.

The "barbarians" are coming in to destroy westernism - directly from Mexico, and through legal and illegal immigration in its European sphere of influence.

Oh and it's currently ruled by a man widely perceived as insane. (Oh for a Suetonius!!)

Now if THAT doesn't get this thread boiling, nothing will!!

Phil

(PS please don't take what I have said (too) seriously - I am a great USAphile. ) :P

Oh Phil25...your posts really does define you and your Europeanism...LOL

Now phil...what would happen if traveled a state called Texas and said that to a group of Christian evangelists...just imagine the consequences.

Though America right now is very divided...but we still don't tolerate such blunt accusations.

By the way... I don't support Amnesty because there sure as hell are tens of thousands of foreign immigrants trying the go the 'legal' way into the country, and sure costs a lot of money for them.

"which once included the Phillipines, Cuba etc and still includes Puerto Rico and Havana."

I knew that El Lidero Maximo it'a US spy! Under that beard anybody could hide, even the US Marines!

You can not compare the majesty of the expansionistic roman empire with the pitifull US one. The emperor ruled the known world while the president just Fox News. And the power of the European Union looks more like Byzantium in his worse days. Buying peace from barbarians and setteling them inside the walls.

While the US, sadly, has been there since 1898.

:thumbsup:

This is the perfect example of how the 'facts' of history get distorted and reinterpreted over time... :)

Look, the taking of Cuba and the Philippines in the Spanish-American War were by-products of a war fought because the Americans were protecting their overseas interests against a real imperial power: the Spanish, who controlled the aforementioned places at the outset of the war. The US kicked the real Imperial power OUT and when the natives got sparky when the US lingered around while the places got on their own feet, they endeavored to oblige the natives. The big mistake was annexing the place in the process.

The post conflict turmoil from the Spanish American War created such a bad taste in American's mouths that the US Congress passed legislation to the effect that the US would never seek imperial dominion over foreign people. The general sentiment over the annexation of the Philippines was summed up by William James,

Briefly (and hopefully ironically) the USA is a concealed monarchy (President) pretending to be a republic/democracy. It is expansionist, the most dynamic and militaristic power in its world. It has had and retains an overseas empire (which once included the Phillipines, Cuba etc and still includes Puerto Rico and Havana.

(PS please don't take what I have said (too) seriously - I am a great USAphile. ) :D

HAHA, Ive heard Bush called King George II

But for some reason I really dont worry. For example No Roman Emperor would ever let himself be called a "Stupid monkey-man" in public. as I routinely do to Bush. :)

As long as we see our politicians put comedically in place, I think we'll be fine.

In two years he'll be sent packing, build a dumb presidential library that no one cares about, and be replaced with another (but hopefully not as big a) moron. :lol:

"The soul of a republic is that no man is larger than the state"- My high school civics teacher

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a Copt born in Toronto who now lives in Pittsburgh. Sorry for getting completely off topic in this thread.

Its a fair copt.

ps: this might need translating from British to N American vernacular

"It's a fair cop. (British & Australian, very informal)

something that you say in order to admit that someone has caught you doing something wrong. It's a fair cop. I was driving way too fast".

I'm a Copt born in Toronto who now lives in Pittsburgh. Sorry for getting completely off topic in this thread.

I'm always willing to show my ignorance, Ram. Please can you enlighten me: What exactly is a Copt? It's not a word I know.

It's as Colin Mockery said to the Hindu man, 'We don't need the Swiss to come in here and tell us how to run our country.'

Althought I AM CANADIAN. :blink:

This reminds me of that charming quote by Mahatma Ghandi. When asked by an interviewer what he thought of Western civilisation, he replied: 'I think it would be a good idea'.

We have gone off topic, haven't we. Still - it's nearly Saturnalia

The Romans certainly believed that the might of Rome would never fall. Yet many Americans believe the same thing. I personally hope that the inevitable decline of The U.S. is less end of Roman Empire and more the end of the British empire. (I know Its like comparing apples and oranges)

How do you guys think its gonna end?