UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome And Usa.

WotWotius

M'lapse: I did not find your comment ambiguous.

I think the number of people who do believe it is much more than is obvious.

To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully-constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them; to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy; to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself. That was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the art of hypnosis you had just performed.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.P.:

I wrote 'generally'; you write particularly.

In its beginnings, Rome's aristocracy felt an obligation to 'serve'. In the U.S., going back to our Civil War, the 'good families' have not felt that they have that obligation.

When I used the word 'blood' above, I should have added: sweat, tears, deprivation, etc. The profits from the Industry of War are (as ever) unequally divided.

This is what the future holds for the U.S.A.

http://i.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/6660/2008CC2.swf

Elvis Presley:

http://home.comcast.net/~nw-fla/tribute_flag_B_thompson.htm

:hammer:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Simply put, the United States is dying. It's happening already. Between the spineless saying we need to capitulate to terrorists, utter idiocy, lack of patriotism, and laziness....we're done for.

Now, I am an American. Proud of it. However, I am also a devout realist. I think it's sad our kids can name 10 pop stars before 10 presidents in ANY ORDER. We're lazy, even myself at times. On top of everything else, our leaders (heh..leaders) fail us, and we do nothing.

However, such is the way of things. One great power falls, one arises. Although I doubt that I'll wake up one morning and see anarchy in the streets and our government collapse, I do believe with the influx of foreigners and our financial interests going more to foreign powers, our influence will diminish.

Oh well..I can always buy a bike and move to London ;)

marvel

Now, I am an American. Proud of it. However, I am also a devout realist. I think it's sad our kids can name 10 pop stars before 10 presidents in ANY ORDER. We're lazy, even myself at times. On top of everything else, our leaders (heh..leaders) fail us, and we do nothing.

If you think kids in London are any brighter and politicians more effective, you're going to be sorely disappointed on this this side of the pond :( . But at least we're closer to Roman ruins :D

Simply put, the United States is dying. It's happening already. Between the spineless saying we need to capitulate to terrorists, utter idiocy, lack of patriotism, and laziness....we're done for.

marvel

:(

Reports of the impending Death of the USA are premature, presumptuous, pretentious, prejudicial, precipitous, and polygystic prevarications. ;)

:D

If you think kids in London are any brighter and politicians more effective, you're going to be sorely disappointed on this this side of the pond :( . But at least we're closer to Roman ruins :D

Thank the Lord for your post.

My God, and I don't hear anyone saying that the EU would collapse. Nothing but the US is gonna gonna gonna...

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Thank the Lord for your post.

My God, and I don't hear anyone saying that the EU would collapse. Nothing but the US is gonna gonna gonna...

EU collapse? Didn't realize it had risen and done anything more than argue over fishing quotas, Chinese imports, and the shape of bananas :)

marvel

Huh, aren't we all sunshine patriots?

I don't think we're done for. The US has survived through much more dire situations than the ones today. The situations today are even perhaps a bit exaggerated. (As we have already clearly seen after the dawn of war)

:ph34r:

Reports of the impending Death of the USA are premature, presumptuous, pretentious, prejudicial, precipitous, and polygystic prevarications. :)

:ph34r:

Exactly.

Rome survived a few bad leaders. We can- if we want. Or we can all talk cynically about our problems; just talk and not do anything.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

• 1 month later...

I think that US have resembling in some parts what was Rome on time, but is not yet in position to be compared with. Economically, the EU is surpassing, slower, the US, and, military, there is, at least, one power (Russia), who can destroy in such way the US, that will cannot be considered a viable society, or even a viable place to live. Ofcourse, US can do the same to Russia (or China), but i cant see in predictible future US army (even in a conventional war) threaten and do the same to Moscow or Beijing what Roman army do to Cartagina, Ctesiphon or our Sarmisegetuza. Yes, they have an edge on military, but they are still far to be as powerfull and able over theyr rivals, as Roman army was in his time. Culturally, i think is the weakest point of comparation. USA is a young country, without the rich and oldest cultures of many other countries, and i, at least, i cant see many other countries adopting (or be influenced in such way by) the american culture, language and way of life, to resembling the "romanization" and civilization who bring Romans to others in theyr times. Who, knows, in the future, but i think the peak of USA power was at the end of 80`, begining of 90`, when USSR fall, and they lead a world coalition (including arab states as Siria) in a astonishing victory over what was than considered (i believe just as number, not as over all power) the 4-th military power (Irak, a little ironic for today).

i cant see many other countries adopting (or be influenced in such way by) the american culture

Uhm...it's called Westernization and the majority of the world uses English in terms of the economy. Also consider the fact that though people may hate the US, but if given the chance, they would live there. Kinda odd, but that's my opinion.

i cant see many other countries adopting (or be influenced in such way by) the american culture

Uhm...it's called Westernization and the majority of the world uses English in terms of the economy. Also consider the fact that though people may hate the US, but if given the chance, they would live there. Kinda odd, but that's my opinion.

I can assure you, Flavius, that here is one who would NOT!!! ;)