UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Frank Miller's 300

WotWotius

This may reassure you all after seeing Mr Diesel's Hannibal film:

It is a film based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, '300' about the famous heroic 'last stand' by Sparta at Thermopylae, 480 BC. Among Frank Millers other work is the highly stylised noir-pic, Sin City (a profusely violent film you may have heard of :blink:). According to early sources, it is indicated that '300' will be shot in a way not to dissimilar to Sin City. So this basically means that the sword and sandal epic could now have the added 'oomph' which haven't seen since the days of Gladiator. Mr Diesel's 'Hannibal' may soon just be a distant memory...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the graphic novel and it is rather entertaining but not in the least bit accurate eg. Spartans fighting in loincloths against War Elephants and Camel Archers, Ephialtes the Greek traitor is portrayed as a deformed hunch-backed monster with one huge eye bulging out of his head while Xerxes and the persians look more like black africans than Persians (Xerxes himself is covered with rings and chains).

I see that the director of the film has kept to the comic book adaption pretty well, It actually does look like what i've seen in the comic book (in terms of costumes and sets) so it certainly looks like something to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this project with interest since last year. I know a few people on the production and they say they have something pretty good. As we say, the project has a good buzz about it. I too was concerned about the wild looking Persians in the Miller book, but we'll see.

I don't know how many recall the 1965 sword and sandal epic The Three Hundred Spartans with Richard Egan. As a child I was thrilled when the Spartan shield wall lowered their spears in unison. Only now do I notice the 1960's Steve Canyon hairstyles and clean shaven faces.

I've been following this project with interest since last year. I know a few people on the production and they say they have something pretty good. As we say, the project has a good buzz about it. I too was concerned about the wild looking Persians in the Miller book, but we'll see.

I don't know how many recall the 1965 sword and sandal epic The Three Hundred Spartans with Richard Egan. As a child I was thrilled when the Spartan shield wall lowered their spears in unison. Only now do I notice the 1960's Steve Canyon hairstyles and clean shaven faces.

I was lucky enough to get into the first screening of this film. You guys won't be disappointed...they've done a phenomenal job of bringing Miller's work to the screen...the cinematography is breathtaking.

• 1 month later...

I saw a trailer to this film recently....looked interesting and it has managed to keep pretty well to it's comic book roots (although not in the least bit to it's historical ones). Unfortunately the triler has been removed as it was not meant to be shown...It had leaked onto the internet and many scenes weren't finished (in terms of perfecting the CGI graphics).

Guest spartanhoplite

hey guys, im actually spartan...

Im really glad to see that there actually making a new film about the 300 spartans! :lol: but a bit dissapointed with all the 'un-historical' aspects....

I recently saw a trailer for it and i was surprised to see some kind of retarded moster type thing with kind of, blades for hands.........

any comments on the 'beast'?? what is it?

I was surprised to see that monster too. I Knew that Ephialtes was meant to be a monster in the film, but there seems to be quite a few of them according to the trailer, including one man who has a face similar to an animal. You can be pretty sure that this one won't be in the least bit historical in terms of storyline, characters, costumes or anything else. I even think they will add a rock soundtrack to the movie.

This is probably one of the few History-based films that will not bother me if it is historically inaccurate: the main aspect of the film is style.

I agree. When I first saw pictures and footage of this film I knew they were never going to attempt to do a faithful recreation of the Battle of Thermopylae. This is going to be a action/adventure blockbuster made to look like the comic book it's based on, and not on Greek history.

Thanks for that Longbow.

I think the one youve posted is the unofficial trailer that I saw before it was removed.

Here is the official trailer for the film:

The trailer that Longbow has posted is much better than the official one as it contains more scenes and runs for longer. This one contains an armoured rhineocorus and Gerard Butler shouting...a lot.

Looking forward for the film, even if it is becoming even more estranged from Herodotus's text.

Edited by DecimusCaesar

Whats with the monsters? i was confused to spy some big fat dude with blades for hands,a ten foot tall nasty brute and the worlds ugliest Hoplite doing some fine spear work :blink: .

What the hell's that?

downloadheaderye5.th.png

Edited by longbow