UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
WotWotius

Frank Miller's 300

Is it really our fault the nicely clothed, 'I'm going to overwhelm you with sheer numbers' Persians lost? The Spartans did something rare in beating back all those Persians wave after wave. They knew they were going to die and they did one heck of a job.

I'm going to see it. :ph34r:

I do believe that the Spartans lost the Battle of Thermopylae. Do they do so in the film?

Anyway, there is one part of the film trailer that really got on my nerves: the quote 'tonight we dine in hell'. Plutarch's King Leonidas had him urging his men on before the battle saying 'have breakfast for tonight we dine in Hades!'; in my opinion, this is a much more theatrical line.

Does Hollywood have to dumb everything down? There are already too many examples of them doing so: changing the title of 'The Madness of King George III' to just simply 'The Madness of King George' because audiences would have thought that it was final instalment of the George Trilogy; replacing the word 'Philosopher' with 'Sorcerer' in the title of the first Harry Potter film because Americans apparently could not handle the former term. Why insult us so

I do believe that the Spartans lost the Battle of Thermopylae. Do they do so in the film?

Anyway, there is one part of the film trailer that really got on my nerves: the quote 'tonight we dine in hell'. Plutarch's King Leonidas had him urging his men on before the battle saying 'have breakfast for tonight we dine in Hades!'; in my opinion, this is a much more theatrical line.

Does Hollywood have to dumb everything down? There are already too many examples of them doing so: changing the title of 'The Madness of King George III' to just simply 'The Madness of King George' because audiences would have thought that it was final instalment of the George Trilogy; replacing the word 'Philosopher' with 'Sorcerer' in the title of the first Harry Potter film because Americans apparently could not handle the former term. Why insult us so

I liked the 300 alot, so much so i will probaly pay to see it again. As far as the historical accuracy goes well the producers themselves said it was not a documentary on the battle but a movie version of a graphic comic book. I would like to see anyone on here name one movie that is absolutely accurate, except for maybe Downfall that was very close to accurate. Wow i really thought that the Persians had guys with blade arms and other mutants in their army, i mean come on people its a freaking movie based on a comic book.

I liked the 300 alot, so much so i will probaly pay to see it again. As far as the historical accuracy goes well the producers themselves said it was not a documentary on the battle but a movie version of a graphic comic book. I would like to see anyone on here name one movie that is absolutely accurate, except for maybe Downfall that was very close to accurate. Wow i really thought that the Persians had guys with blade arms and other mutants in their army, i mean come on people its a freaking movie based on a comic book.

Quite, Septimus! One look at the trailers on TV over here told me that this is not a historical film. I have to say that this sort of thing is not quite my cup of tea, but my son certainly wants to see it, and I hope everyone else enjoys it. One does have to marvel at the artistic achievements, however.

The movie is finally hitting theaters here in Denmark on the 30th of this month. I've been really looking forward to seeing it after reading the rave reviews and enjoying the comic - so you can rest assured that I'll be there to see it.

I would give it a 7/10. Nothing in it that really made it stand out, contrary to my hopes. Too much story, too much "crazyness", annoying narrator etc. etc. Plus the whole "get out of formation and squash the Persians on your own" thing really defeated the whole meaning of the event...

Plus the Spartans ended up looking more like a semi-organized Barbarian group then the most disciplined unit of the ancient world.

Perhaps the writers were thing of the Gallic invasion at Thermopylae?

And yes, there is probably more history in an astronomy book then in this movie. Even the phalanx positions were ahistorical and completely awkward.

I saw it and enjoyed. I didnt expect it to be a historic movie and it wasnt but the pictures and visual side of the movie is somthing i really liked.

Iranian accusations for racism and politic bias i find simply stupid. It wasnt anyone's intetion to show the real history but to show the comics.

I've heard that the film diverts a lot from the comic book as well. According to what I've read, the film contains grenade throwing ninja girls, Goat-men, monster Immortals and Orcs. I've read Miller's version of '300' and the only 'monster' that appears in his version is Ephialtes, the Greek traitor.

I've seen the Orcs, but I haven't seen the greande throwers. Is it true that they appear in it?

I've seen the Orcs, but I haven't seen the greande throwers. Is it true that they appear in it?

Looks more like bottles with oil.

Watch that, it's funny.

Yay for my first post!

hahahahahahahah

Thats brill!

"Brush your teeth" ???

Madness

I've heard that the film diverts a lot from the comic book as well. According to what I've read, the film contains grenade throwing ninja girls, Goat-men, monster Immortals and Orcs. I've read Miller's version of '300' and the only 'monster' that appears in his version is Ephialtes, the Greek traitor.

I don't recall any Orcs or grenades. Have you seen it? I've not read the graphic novel, but I heard the movie was rather slavish to it.

I don't recall any Orcs or grenades. Have you seen it? I've not read the graphic novel, but I heard the movie was rather slavish to it.

I haven't seen the film although I did read a review that mentioned "what looked like female ninjas in burkhas hurling grenades". I don't know if they are in the film, but they certainly weren't in the comic book. As for Orcs, I'm not sure if these are the mutant warriors that the Persians bring with them, but they might be.

I 'v had a bootleg copy of the film for a while and can confirm the burkha clad 'grenade' throwers.

Its a fantasy film, which I normally hate (bodybuilders in stainless steel underware, etc) but I enjoyed this.