UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Carus

Keeper Of The Sacred Chickens

Not really sure this fits here could go with the army section as well i guess. Anyway I was wondering where can i find a reference to the guys took care of the sacred chickens for the roman military. I think its in livy where an admiral throws them over board saying something about "if you wont eat then lets see if you swim"?

Anyway its not urgent but if someone knows what book thats in it would help settle a bet with my friend i cant seem to find in and i have been looking for a while.

Oh one last thing does anyone know what the latin name was for the keepers of the sacred chickens?

PS been lurking for a while great boards.

The Roman state cult was split into different colleges and groups, one of which was the augurs who's job it was to read the portents, such as the eating of the sacred chickians. You can read more about them here.

Not really sure this fits here could go with the army section as well i guess. Anyway I was wondering where can i find a reference to the guys took care of the sacred chickens for the roman military. I think its in livy where an admiral throws them over board saying something about "if you wont eat then lets see if you swim"?

Anyway its not urgent but if someone knows what book thats in it would help settle a bet with my friend i cant seem to find in and i have been looking for a while.

Oh one last thing does anyone know what the latin name was for the keepers of the sacred chickens?

PS been lurking for a while great boards.

This happened during the First Punic War. The admiral said something more like: "If they won't eat, let them drink." Flang the Sacred Chickens overboard and lost the battle. Sorry that I can't give you a citation but I believe that it is in Livy.

It was Publius Claudius Pulcher. His sister once said something like "Its a shame my brother's not still in charge!" in reference to over crowding, implying that if he were the crowds wouldn't be so dense due to campaign losses.

Edited by P.Clodius

Ha thanks guys I finally found it and won the bet its Livy alright. My friend just couldnt believe that they had a military/religious position whose job it was to keep a bunch of sacred chickens.

PS if anyone knows the Latin name for the job that would be awesome its more just curosity on my part. I know it was more specific than just an augur my old latin teacher told us one time but I cant remember what it was.

Edited by Carus

PS if anyone knows the Latin name for the job that would be awesome its more just curosity on my part. I know it was more specific than just an augur my old latin teacher told us one time but I cant remember what it was.

Pullarius

Pullarius

Is the pullarius a title for an augur who is keeping the chickians, or is a pullarius an altogeather different position outside the augur college?

Pullarius

Is the pullarius a title for an augur who is keeping the chickians, or is a pullarius an altogeather different position outside the augur college?

I believe he is the keeper of the sacred chickens which are used by the augurs, but I don't think the pullarius himself was the augur.

I remember translating the passage as part of my first year of latin at grammar school. The story has stuck ever since.

Only the Claudii Pulcheri could have been so confident and foolhardy, so brazen and so stupid (all at once) - clearly a family characteristic!!.

Phil

and won the bet its Livy alright.

The rules of the road require that anyone who wins a bet as a result of the Forums efforts, must deposit 10% of the winnings with a Tribune. Surely you will honor your obligation to me.

:ph34r:

and won the bet its Livy alright.

The rules of the road require that anyone who wins a bet as a result of the Forums efforts, must deposit 10% of the winnings with a Tribune. Surely you will honor your obligation to me.

:ph34r:

Lol how do I send you 10% of a pitcher of beer? Oh and its gonna be killians so if you dont like that your just out of luck.

Funny thing is, you can be sure any and all religious positions in the Roman state cult had special consecration ceremonies for the person assuming the position.

So somewhere lost in time are the rites of the chicken watcher. I wonder if it involved chicken feathers at all. May the gods grant you accurate counting before they are hatched. :ph34r:

I remember translating the passage as part of my first year of latin at grammar school. The story has stuck ever since.

Only the Claudii Pulcheri could have been so confident and foolhardy, so brazen and so stupid (all at once) - clearly a family characteristic!!.

Phil

he was also venal.....when he rteurned to Rome after the battle, he was asked to name a successor to his office....he named his dispatch rider..... :)

The Claudians certainly were interesting..........to say the least

but who remembers Nero the Consul who defeated Hasrubal?

I Do! :D:)

Claudius Nero and Marcus Livius Salinator, defeating Hasdrubal at the Metaurus River.

I've supplied a link here for a great essay, this particualr battle being more towards the end. I love this guy's writing style.

Sorry for being totally off topic about this. :rolleyes: