UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Zeke

Goddess Worship

Evacuations of Catyal Huyuk and Jerhrico (The two oldest known cities in the history of civilization.) Show that the predominate religion of these two great centers was polytheism most importanty the worship of a Great Mother Earth type of diety.

In Catyal Huyuk altars to this diety were wedged in between the sun dried brick hovels that the local populance lived in. There were also "warrior cults" by the evidence of spearheads and paintings of leopard skins, but they were less important then that of the Earth Mother cult.

This raises the theory/question. Almost all the Early Polythestic Religions were based upon this Earth Mother, male dieties were irrelavant and ussually acted as minior consorts to this Great Mother almost all of these male dieties were sky gods or hunting gods ussually associated with hunter/gatheres.

Only with the rise of Patriachal Rome and Monthestic Religions did these woman oriented cults fall from favor.

What do you suppose were other reasons why early man driffted away Feminine worship to masculine worship? Another point to consider, the Earth Mother cults were associated with ferility and agriculture, while the masculine cults had to do with hutning and gathering and primal urges. With the rise of agriculture one would think that the female cults would also rise. Yet they decline in the latter Roman Empire to be replaced by Mithras and Jesus. What happened. Why did woman get overthrown by men suddenly? Because in early history of civilization woman were placed in higher regard.

I think alot of it has to do with society at the time. As the social system became male-dominant, the religion changed to reflect that.

Perhaps the dependence upon the earth and its cyclical and reproductive nature infuenced this early belief. As technology progressed the population increased, territorial conficts and warfare increased. I guess the new dependency was now upon the protection provided by a much more influential warrior class. I could be way off.

Maybe the female was worshiped in the begining because they were the one's that gave life to man and maybe the early men believed that because of this amazing feat the mother deserved to be worshipped but as time moved on and they all evolved, man came to realise that he was the strongest, the hunter gatherer and that maybe he deserved to be worshipped above the weaker female???

Who knows??? ;)

Actually, I think you're both partly right. There are alot of factors to consider in the evolution of religion.

Well hominids like Neanderthal, Cro-Magnons, maybe even Austrailopithicus, and of course early human had rituals that would seem like they belivied in a supernatural entity, but not to the complexity of religion. They believed in simple things. Perhaps the first deity was man since death is such a random occurance, they can't fathom it but only as something bad/violent(masculinity). Its not hard to assume that it would be a goddess when it comes to life-giving, since life begins in the womb.

So I guess Life is more important than understanding Death, just so by chance the 'mother nature' concept happens.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

I think most early religions (and aspects of modern religion as well) were born because people didn't understand things. Didn't understand the sun, it must be a wonderous magical thing, and therefore takes on religious significance. If the sun doesn't shine, it is cold and dreary, and it is generally understood that the sun is neccessary for life (at least on some level). The darkness is frightening and not understood, the sun gives protection from that. Therefor, the sun is worshipped as god, or represented by a god. The same thing happens with the moon, with the sea, or the rain, or anything else which wasn't understood.

And that relates to goddess worship how? That was just talking about Polythesiem in general...or the beginings of religion. What was the point of your post Lost Warrior, how does it contribute to the topic?

-Senator Zeke

The topic was about when/how did goddess worship stop, and switch over to the worship of male dieties and a patriarchal society.

Yes, my post probably was a little off of the original topic. I was replying to FVC. My point, (which I didn't make clear at 4:30 AM :)) was that people worshipped things in nature originally, many of which were percieved as life giving and female ("Mother Earth" for instance). Later it seems some of the more abstract concepts (such as war) were personified by males.

Sorry for the confusion lol, I must remember to avoid trying to sound intelligent before the sun comes up.

Edited by Lost_Warrior

True True....but I was refering to EARLY history when the First Cities were formed. By the time you reach the Greek Pantheon, Zeus is the head male diety. But in terms of ANcient, Ancient, History (way back in the day) Female worship was much more predominate.

Yes you are right the shift was gradual. But I am saying based upon arelogical evidence and such that in the beginings of civlization the female goddess was more prominant. Then around the rise of the First Civlization...Summeria and Egypt did male gods start to take play.

Until by the time of Rome many masculine enities has taken over the celestial drama. Jupiter, Sol, Mithras, Mars were the most known. Juno, Minerva, Isis and Epona though huge...are outclassed by the cult of Sol Ivictius and such.

But thats just my observation

-Zeke

And I still maintain that it isn't as cut and dry as you are trying to make it. But as you said, that's your observation. However, you asked questions of which I will continue to try and give you insight.

The Great Mother that was worshiped at

I still think is has something to do with the increase in the importance of warfare and technology in territorial control.

And in that case I think you Sir are quite correct :thumbs_up: