UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome Total War

Francis

I've played this game in and out, but how do you capture legionary standards? Do you have to kill a whole Legionary First Cohort, or is it by chance, or do you have to rout the whole army?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to large on unit scale you get a century, times that by 2 you have a maniple, times the maniples by 3 you have a cohort. Now times that by 9 and add 800 men for the 1st cohort and add mercernaries add cavalry

thats 5000 men (a legion)

in most battles there are 6-8 legions 30000-40000 men on 1 side, my total war connection only allows me 3000 men overall.

Oh total war is the best game ever

• 2 months later...

Rome total war is a great game but the campaign annoys me with the 3 roman factions and the senate.Roman factions expand very quickly and destroy mostly everything in a short period of time,and what u are left with is the roman factions and most of the time which results in a world war with the other roman factions,And why is it in most campaigns egypt is the top dog besides roman factions? and also parthia is way to weak in the campagn

• 2 months later...

OK if anyone here plays Rome total war with mods i have some questions.First do any of you have Europa barbarorum?And if you do what are the differents between Europa and Rome total realism?And also do these two mods have the legions that wear lorica segmentata or just chain mail.I hope both mods have lorica segmentata but i dont think they will b/c the game ends at 14AD and the romans did not invent that armor yet.Thanks for the help......

And also can you tell me if rome used lorica segmentatta at 14AD b/c in rome total war thats when the game ends b/c in barbarorum the mod i dont think they have it b/c the mod makers said it was not invented.But this guy at Romanarmy.com said the romans did use that armour at 14AD.Anyone here know a lot about roman armour and weapons on this subject?

Edited by Titus001

OK if anyone here plays Rome total war with mods i have some questions.First do any of you have Europa barbarorum?And if you do what are the differents between Europa and Rome total realism?And also do these two mods have the legions that wear lorica segmentata or just chain mail.I hope both mods have lorica segmentata but i dont think they will b/c the game ends at 14AD and the romans did not invent that armor yet.Thanks for the help......

Archaeologists excavating Kalkriese in Germany discovered the segements from a lorica segmentata armour. The armour dated to around the Battle of Teutoburg AD 9, which took place in the region. This shows that lorica segmentata was being manufactured much earlier than originally supposed. Then again it might not have been made in high quantaties. As for it being worse quality, I am not sure. The armour is difficult to manufacture, and it can be rough around the neck area; even so I believe it affords much better protection to arrows and missile weapons than lorica hamata.

As for Europa Barbarorum, there is a thread discussing the mod somewhere on the Colosseum board.

lorica hamata is chan mail correct?Weird,i always thought lorica segmentata was better at defending against blows from axes or longswords since those weapons are not really used in a stabing motion but were used as a swinging weapon in most cases.Don't you think the cool looking armour=lorica segmantata would be better at defending from downward swings from an axe or sword compared to chain mail?

Hamata may have small particles of armour (and rust) dragged into a wound area by projectile impact ( a punch wound), this is much less likely with segmentata. Hamata is very heavy, like wearing an overcoat with lead weights in the pockets , and rusts quickly unless cleaned meticulously or soaked in olive oil . Segmentata is light and very fluid allowing full body rotation, it does get very hot in direct sunlight . The possibility of penetration of segmentata is much less than hamata , but it takes quite a while to get on, hamata just drops on like a vest. Carrying a shield and wearing greaves gives an awful lot of protection regardless of armour type.

Man i gave up on the mods,i cant get any of them to work and i used all of them.Im just not good with comps.It would be nice if there was a patch like1.5 for rome that removed 2 roman factions and just used julii and the senate.I think its funny that rome total realism and europa which are based in so called history and realism but dont have the legions in lorica segmantata.There reason for not using it=It was not invented.But it was invented before 9AD

Edited by Titus001

Man i gave up on the mods,i cant get any of them to work and i used all of them.Im just not good with comps.It would be nice if there was a patch like1.5 for rome that removed 2 roman factions and just used julii and the senate.I think its funny that rome total realism and europa which are based in so called history and realism but dont have the legions in lorica segmantata.There reason for not using it=It was not invented.But it was invented before 9AD

I've had a similar problem with 'Europa Barbarorum' I tried downloading it about 6 or 7 months ago and it just wouldn't work. I haven't bothered playing computer games since then to be honest. Although I did hear they are creating a new Ancient strategy game called 0 AD or Year Zero or something. It looks to be in the same mould as Age of Empires rather than Rome: Total War. Still looks good though!

• 2 weeks later...

FOR ALL WHO WANT A ROME:TW MODIFICATION BUT CANNOT FIGURE OUT THE INSTALLATION!

(and some links to some great full mods, skip to bottom of post to see)

I bought rometw when it was released and played it, and as many mods as i could get my paws on, and did a little modding on it myself.

I'm not a game player usually, but this game is excellent and purely because of the EXCELLENT MODS there are.

I'm talking about FULL CONVERSIONS here too not some little tweaks..

Anyways..

THE INSTRUCTIONS!

ONE.. COPY YOUR MAIN ROMETW FOLDER

MAKE SURE that you copy your clean (unmodded) rometw main folder and use this copy to install your mod on. Do this EVERY time you are installing a mod. Of course, you'll need sufficient hard drive space.

TWO.. CHECK YOUR GAME VERSION

Their are several official patches for rome out, the last of which is obviously the best balanced and the one you usually will need.

If you bought the game quite recently or have the rometw Gold edition then worry not, your game will already be patched up to the newest version.

*If you bought your game a while back though, install the game and run it. The version it is patched to will be on the loading screen in the corner.*

GO TO www.totalwar.com for your patches if you need one.

The newest version is 1.5 for RomeTW by itself or 1.6 for the Barb.Invasion expansion (these two patches are exactly the same for installing mod purposes, a mod that says it is for Rometw WILL work with a installation of Barb.Invasion providing you use the Rometw disc).

Some mods, however, use older patches (like 1.2) so check to see what patch is required before you try to install. You CANNOT patch back to 1.2.

So dont even bother trying to play an older mod that requires this if you have the newer release. 1.5/6 is much better anyway.

THREE.. INSTALL MOD TO THE CORRECT PLACE

NOT in your original folder but into the aforementioned (see part one) copy. You cannot simply install over your clean game, as their will be hell to pay if you try to uninstall to start again or to try another mod... and ALWAYS read the readme if there is one.

Now thats out of the way, chose some mods!

Heres some links to my favourites:

EUROPA BARBARORUM:

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/ Outstanding realism mod, and they just released an update too.

LORD OF THE RINGS TOTAL WAR:

http://www.lotrtw.com/ Excellent. Based on the film trilogy, is only a 1.2 custom battle version at the minute but full 1.5/6 campaign version out soon! It WILL be quite incredible.

IBERIA TW:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62 Great mod based around the Punic wars and the wars for the Iberian peninsula. New version is out really soon, so I'd advise waiting for this rather than dling the old one, it has some balancing issues that will be fixed with the new one.

And their are loads more.

go to this site for all your needs totalwar wise:

http://www.twcenter.net/

It also hosts loads of full mods.

Any problems just pm me. ;)

Edited by Kieronus

Gents - I have been meaning to ask you all for some time whether you would recommend this series of games from the beginning? I have always been tempted to buy it - and my son has been pestering for it too, but I'm not sure that my present spec is high enough for its graphics.

As a gamer, I am more a Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia than an out-and-out war player - but I would still like to give it a go, if you give it your recommendation.