UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Italians and the Mafia

L. Quintus Sertorius

While I appreciate and support the freedom of discussion... all this mafia innuendo has me a bit nervous. I mean my name is plastered all over the site you know. And well, I don't like wearing cement shoes. :(

Have no fear, The Dons will protect you! :lol:

:D

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only contribution to this is that "The Godfather" remains my favorite movie. Cheers.

You are a man of obvious taste. And may your first child, be a masculine child.

I think I should have been born an Italian. My 2 biggest areas of interest (Aside from sports) are ancient Rome and the Mafia. Instead I'm a wannabe.

I think I'm still on (or is it now off?) topic with this:

HAGEN

You were around the old timers who

dreamed up how the Families should

be organized, how they based it on

the old Roman Legions, and called

them 'Regimes'... with the 'Capos'

and 'Soldiers,' and it worked.

PENTANGELI

Yeah, it worked. Those were great

old days. We was like the Roman

Empire. The Corleone family was

like the Roman Empire.

HAGEN

(sadly)

Yeah, it was once.

They both puff on their cigars. Pentangeli lets himself be

carried away by thoughts of old days of glory; Hagen thinks

of other days too.

HAGEN

(very gently)

The Roman Empire... when a plot

against the Emperor failed, the

plotters were always given a chance

to let their families keep their

fortunes.

PENTANGELI

Yeah, but only the rich guys. The

little guys got knocked off. If

they got arrested and executed, all

their estate went to the Emperor.

If they just went home and killed

themselves, up front, nothing

happened.

HAGEN

Yeah, that was a good break. A

nice deal.

Pentangeli looks at Hagen; he understands.

PENTANGELI

They went home and sat in a hot

bath and opened their veins, and

bled to death. Sometimes they gave

a little party before they did it.

Hagen throws away his cigar. Pentangeli puffs on his.

HAGEN

Don't worry about anything, Frankie

Five-Angels.

PENTANGELI

Thanks, Tom. Thanks.

Strange isn't it? I too am absolutely fascinated by the Mafia. I've always sort of 'liked' them in a self-disgusted sort of way. Do you think it's a Roman thing? All that staunch family loyalty and reciprocity of favours?

And the first two Godfather movies are among my all-time faves! I think I may be almost word-perfect on the first one, G-Man! :hammer: There are some fabulous lines in that movie.

Strange isn't it? I too am absolutely fascinated by the Mafia. I've always sort of 'liked' them in a self-disgusted sort of way. Do you think it's a Roman thing? All that staunch family loyalty and reciprocity of favours?

And the first two Godfather movies are among my all-time faves! I think I may be almost word-perfect on the first one, G-Man! :ph34r: There are some fabulous lines in that movie.

Augusta:

I think I can go word for word as well on GF I. :angry: Not sure what the allure is. Since I was a kid, the mafia always intrigued me.

It's funny. My (Irish-American) family is obsessed with the Godfather to the point that my brother had my wife take a 100 question test on it prior to our wedding (ala "the Baltimore Colts test" in the movie 'Diner') or that's it, the wedding's off! She got an A- and the rest as they say is history. :hammer: While our first child was not a masculine child, the next two were though. LOL!

G

First, I would like to sincerely thank my friend, the noble MPC, for his generous clarification of my earlier post.

--0--

For those of you unfortunate enough not to have been born a member of God's People, you may enlist in the MAFIA Auxiliary. No 'heavy' work involved. Open a local office and Nephele will set up a strip club for you. You can take honoraria from the local politicos. Just send me a big check and you are in.

In the case of My Lady Sophia of the North, aka Tattletale, aka The Augusta, 'twon't cost her a lira and she will be the first Lady in the Official organization. I have some work for her.

Don Tomasso

:hammer:

P.S.

Can y'all do the Italian (Sicilian) parts? "Fa me nu piachere. Lashe sta o can."

Don't forget the 'Ndrangheta: http://gangstersinc.tripod.com/Carmelo/Ndrangheta/Intro.html

And of course the Omerta: http://www.amazon.com/Omerta-Novel-Mario-Puzo/dp/0375502548

And the Camorra for those serious about it: http://da_wizeguy.tripod.com/omerta/id21.html

Some of this goes back to Roman times. Have fun.

:ph34r::angry:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Wooohooo! Don Tomato is back!

Omerta was a good solid read...great airplane book.

Ironically, as an Italian-American...and as a 'yung'un' (aka my handle has the year in which I was born), I haven't ever seen the GF series. My grandmother always hated the idea--too 'Southern' for her (my family's from the North). My mother just doesn't care for the violence (I guess). But, 1 and 2 are in the queue for NetFlix, so it'll be soon remedied. I did thoroughly enjoy "GoodFellas," though, and some other characterization I think are ok. I don't have HBO, haven't watched "The Sorpranos," and don't care to...something about it doesn't feel right.

HAGEN

(very gently)

The Roman Empire... when a plot

against the Emperor failed, the

plotters were always given a chance

to let their families keep their

fortunes.

That was a great scene. Pentangeli, btw, was referring to the manner of death of two different people--Seneca, whose veins kept clotting and required a hot bath to open them up, and Petronius, who had opened his veins during a final dinner party. Both of them, I believe, were implicated in the Pisonian plot against Nero, and I like to believe that they were guilty. Nero was a Fredo when Rome required a Hagen.

I haven't ever seen the GF series.

*GASP!*

Barbarians at the gate! Muster the legions!

... or a Michael: "I don't want to kill everybody; just my enemies"

Michael Gaius Corleonus: ... so the next day, Augustus went to see him, only this time with Marcus Agrippa. And within an hour, he signed release for for 15 dinari.

Kay: How'd he do that?

Michael Gaius: Augustus made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Kay: What was that?

Michael Gaius: Agrippa held a (insert 1st century BC weapon here), and Augustus assured him that either his brains - or his signature - would be on the contract...That's a true story...That's my family, Kay. It's not me.

G-Manicus:

I don't know if I should love or hate you! Now I'm going to watch the GF trilogy over again - tonight!

A suggestion. MAFIA means Mothers And Fathers Italian Association. Set up a thread named "The Godmother".

The cast:

Tattletale - Boss of Bosses.

Doll - Boss of operations in kali4kneeya.

Nephele - Boss on Lon Giland.

Flavia Gemina - Mob historian.

Pertinax - Head of operations in Brigantia.

Pantagathus - Buttonman.

MPC - Buttonman @ UNRV.

Pick something grand for yourself. Since I'm the only Eyetalian in the group, I'll be the Godfather - naturally. Others may set themselves as they like.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Looks like I'm going to have to blow the dust of my Godfather trilogy as well, and also dig out my Mario Puzo novels too.

Favourite of the trilogy :- Part II

Favourite Puzo novel :- The Sicilian

Looks like I'm going to have to blow the dust of my Godfather trilogy as well, and also dig out my Mario Puzo novels too.

As it turns out, Bravo shows a version of GF I that is rated TV 14. My 10 year old has been dying to see it, so I Tivo'd it and FF'd to all of the risque parts. They cut all the sex and foul language scenes, but left the violence in (Sonny at the causeway, The Massacre of the Dons). Made the call that it was okay for him to watch. It was pretty fun watching again for the first time in a couple of years.

We're planning a GF party with our neighbors this winter now. :P

G

• 2 months later...
Guest Iulis Mascellus

Hey guys,

Even being of Northern Italo-American descent, (perugian) you're gotta love the Godfather style mafia. The way I look at it is that you live in a city or a town neighborhood with other Italians, and you got other businesses, corrupt politicians etc. and you gotta defend your people. You take money and you put it towards the defense of the people. Everyone loves Vito Corleone and Michael for crushing that S.O.B. Tattaglia and his Barzini lapdogs...

And HELL YEAH it's a Roman Thing!

ROMA AD INFINITUM :ph34r: