UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Marc Antony Quotes...

dharma bum

Did he say that to Brutus by any chance???

I imagine he made some fairly extreme 'quotes' concerning Cicero. What personal dynamics! A low born snob and one of the high society elite with a passion for slumming it.

That quote (in its context) reminds me of the guy who decided not to manage the beatles.

OCTAVIAN - Just a name!

Are there any sites that have quotes from Marc Antony and more importantly other Romans as well? I'm able to find a few here and there, but I was looking for maybe one site that had an extensive log of Roman quotes.

fROM A LETTER Antony sent to Octavian after Octavian chided him for neglecting Octavia:

"Why are you changed towards me? Because I lie with a queen? (Cleopatra) She is my wife. Is this a new thing with me, or have I not done so for these nine years? And do you take freedoms with Drusilla (Livia) only? May health and happiness so attend you, and when you read this letter, you are not in dalliance with Tertulla, Terentilla, Rufilla, or Salvia Titiscenia, or all of them. What matters it to you where, or upon whom, you spend your manly vigour?"

"Quid te mutavit? Quod reginam ineo? Uxor mea est. Nunc coepi an abhinc annos novem? Tu deinde solam Drusillam inis? Ita valeas, uti tu, hanc epistulam cum leges, non inieris Tertullam aut Terentillam aut Rufillam aut Salviam Titiseniam aut omnes. An refert, ubi et in qua arrigas?"

Actually, according to the Latin, that should really read ''entering'' or hence ''giving it to'' or ''screwing''.

Edited by frankq

I searched in vain for the source of that quote, so that I could have the joy of posting it - "Who cares if I'm screwing the Queen? What does it matter where you shove your erection?".

But you beat me to it. I think that's one that really shows the character of Antony the man.

I searched in vain for the source of that quote, so that I could have the joy of posting it - "Who cares if I'm screwing the Queen? What does it matter where you shove your erection?".

But you beat me to it. I think that's one that really shows the character of Antony the man.

The key to finding the quote is to use the word ''uxor'' in the search. There are several sites that should yield their translation of his quote. And I agree, it really nails Antony's character.