UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
miguel

Your Favourite Roman City

Your favourite Roman city  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is your favourite Roman city?

• Roma
    • Constantinople
    • Antioch
    • Alexandria
    • Ravenna
    • Trier
    • Arles
    • others

I voted for Roma, Rome was the centre of the empire and i guess when it was at the pinnacle of it's power it would have been a pretty impressive city to be in.

What about Pompeii?? before it's destruction wasn't it supposed to be a very beautiful city??

I've never actually stepped foot in any of these cities. Hard to judge.

Also, what time period are we talking? Rome before the Caesars was basically a boring, dirty Latin town.

I think Alexandria in its heyday would have been extremely interesting.

I've never actually stepped foot in any of these cities. Hard to judge.

Also, what time period are we talking? Rome before the Caesars was basically a boring, dirty Latin town.

Me too ;] I want so much to go to Rome

I don't really refer to a particular era, it is just based on the whole time period throughout Roman history, from building to falling.

If you pick Alexandria, it is more likely that you like the Hellenistic form of a city rather than a Roman one. I did not pick one, because they are all very interesting.

Absolutely, imagine the powers of the Mediterranian cultures: Egypt, Rome, and Greece in one city. An awesome spectacle to behold to say the least.

Absolutely, imagine the powers of the Mediterranian cultures: Egypt, Rome, and Greece in one city. An awesome spectacle to behold to say the least.

Alexandria also had a sizable Jewish population.

I did not pick one, because they are all very interesting.

I agree with that. Personally I like Antioch the most (but sadly nobody votes for that :P). The most interesting thing about the city was the quick spread of Christianity, that makes Antioch a rival to be the cradle of gentile Christianity. It was also the only one of the four major Roman city that did not survive until now.

How could I have forgotten about Alexandria, it must have been very impressive with its Library, Pharos, it's many unique inventions, from automatic sliding doors to automatons that had advertisments and even the little stuff like slot machines. Even in the first century BC it made Rome look like a dump in comparison. Like Cicero once said "I have always dreamed of seeing Alexandria..."

How could I have forgotten about Alexandria, it must have been very impressive with its Library, Pharos, it's many unique inventions, from automatic sliding doors to automatons that had advertisments and even the little stuff like slot machines. Even in the first century BC it made Rome look like a dump in comparison. Like Cicero once said "I have always dreamed of seeing Alexandria..."

Library? You mean bibliotheca? Never heard of famous library in Alexandria... :rolleyes:

I voted for Nova Roma, Constantinople. A beautiful city, situated in one of the most strategic positions in Europe, well designed and layed out and a city that could be defended far better then the original Rome could.

What was Massilia like during Rome's heyday?

Late Republic: Alexandria, Antioch, Capua

Principate: Rome, Leptis Magna

Dominate: Aquileia, Split, Trier, Rome

Post-476: Constantinople, Ravenna

I voted for Arles, although If Nimes had been there that would have got my vote.

I voted for Rome, the birthplace and the model for the heart of the kingdom, republic and empire.