UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DecimusCaesar

Film About The Emperor Hadrian

I don't know if this has already been mentioned in the Colosseum forum , but a new movie based on the life of the Emperor Hadrian is due for release next year called 'Memoirs of Hadrian' which is set to be directed by John Boorman and written by Ron Base (based on the novel by Marguerite Yourcenar).

Antonio Banderas will be playing Hadrian and Juliette Binoche will play Faustina. Although their roles are still in talks, so it might be due to change.

More info is on IMDB....

Edited by DecimusCaesar

The screenplay must be from this source:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/02/20/222118.php

but, of course , screnplays have a habit of ditching the original material, good, bad or indifferent.

At least we know it will look good with Boorman directing , (like looking at the world through Fujichrome 64 ASA film, with extra luminous green filters )

omg...Antonio Banderas...*0*

I wonder if he speaks Latin or Greek...

I wonder who will play Simon Bar Kochba?

Larry David? Listening to his kvetching would make me send him on a Diaspora.

Juliette Binoche should play Antinous, because Faustina it's not around much.

I 'll hate it if it's another Alexander with gay love scenes.

Hadrian should be more mature and more classy then the tiny desperado.

I think we will have to wait and see...there's a new batch of historical epics coming up soon, Apocalypto (Mel Gibson's Mayan movie) 300 (movie based on Frank Miller's comics) Warrior (the Boudica film) and a nunch of others I can't recall. Perhaps if these fail the film will be cancelled just like the Alexander movie by Baz Luhrman that was in production when Oliver Stone's Alexander was made.

What does that mean?

Is there a movie with such scenes? Apologize for I seldom watch historical films so I am not very familiar with them =w="

What does that mean?

Is there a movie with such scenes? Apologize for I seldom watch historical films so I am not very familiar with them =w="

The film was nicknamed "Queer Eye for the Macedonian Guy" , but frankly the homo-erotic sub plot was just hilarious . The battle scenes are quite good, mainly because the actors have stopped spouting hammy dialogue.

Hadrian obviously adored his boy Antinous. It's hard to imagine how they could tell Hadrian's story without mentioning that particular fancy.

Very true, in fact I believe that Hadrian commissioned more statues of Antinous than he did for himself.

180px-Antinous-osiris.JPG013_antinous_full.jpg6822~Figure-of-Antinous-after-130-AD-marble-Posters.jpg

These of statues of Antinous are just three of dozens that have survived.

When the young man died under mysterious circumstances, Hadrian went as far as naming a star after him:

'Finally Hadrian declared that He had seen a star which he took to be that of Antinous, and gladly lent an ear to the fictitious tales woven by his associates to the effect that the star had really come into being from the spirit of Antinous and had then appeared for the first time.' -Dio Cassius, Epitome of Book 69

Hadrian obviously adored his boy Antinous. It's hard to imagine how they could tell Hadrian's story without mentioning that particular fancy.

Agreed, evidence sure would suggest that Antinous was Hadrian's young lover, but the possibility exists that he was simply being groomed as a successor. Perhaps both, perhaps not, but the Historia Augusta suggests that Hadrian preferred adult men over adult women (SCANDALOUS!). It also suggests, however, that Hadrian maintained several relations with other women, perhaps having an effect on the poor relationship between he and his wife Vibia Sabina. Perhaps Antinous was just an overwhelming favorite or perhaps there was more than meets the eye (hence my suggestion that he was a potential heir, keep in mind that Hadrian did not have children).

Antinous as Hadrian's heir? Right.... I'll bet he said that about all his lovers! Seriously, does anyone really believe that those lovingly crafted statues were meant merely to commemorate the loss of a potential heir? All Rome must have been rolling their eyes and sniggering at the old sugar daddy.

What does that mean?

The film was nicknamed "Queer Eye for the Macedonian Guy" , but frankly the homo-erotic sub plot was just hilarious . The battle scenes are quite good, mainly because the actors have stopped spouting hammy dialogue.

I didn't care much for the battle scenes myself. A lot of epileptic nightmarish cinimatography to make up for not setting up a full battle.

Antinous as Hadrian's heir? Right.... I'll bet he said that about all his lovers!

I'm not saying that he said it. That was completely my idea :)