UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spartan156

Sparta and Spartans in the Roman Empire

I'd recommend that you read "Hellenistic and Roman Sparta" by Cartledge and Spawforth to gain a better understanding of Sparta and its practices during the period.

Are you patronising me :lol:

Alas,i dont have enougth free time to waist it reading about Greeks,especially Spartans,who i dont particullaly admire.Nearly all of my reading time is took up with Saxon England or Roman Britain,which are the subjects i'm most interested in.

I got my information on the later 'Tourist' Agoge from this 3 part documentary,whilst i know documentary's are not the best source for information its all the time i'm willing to put into the subject i'm afraid,i'm just not that interested.I only watched it because it was the only history documentary i could find to download on Grabit.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge (and your book). :notworthy:

Edited by longbow

Ah! Bettany Hughes's documentary, she has done some work with Paul Cartledge in the past. I saw a few minutes from this series and it sounded interesting. I would buy the DVD if I had more money, but I suppose I have to wait for another time as most of my family and my friends are having their birthdays this month.

If you install Grabit you can download it for free :lol: .

Longbow

She did help me sit through three hours :yes:

I'd recommend that you read "Hellenistic and Roman Sparta" by Cartledge and Spawforth to gain a better understanding of Sparta and its practices during the period.

Are you patronising me :yes:

Alas,i dont have enougth free time to waist it reading about Greeks,especially Spartans,who i dont particullaly admire.Nearly all of my reading time is took up with Saxon England or Roman Britain,which are the subjects i'm most interested in.

I got my information on the later 'Tourist' Agoge from this 3 part documentary,whilst i know documentary's are not the best source for information its all the time i'm willing to put into the subject i'm afraid,i'm just not that interested.I only watched it because it was the only history documentary i could find to download on Grabit.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge (and your book). :notworthy:

No, I'm not patronising you, I was recommending the book because it dispells quite few myths that have gathered some creedance.

Cheers

L